|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vance attend Marine Corps boot camp?
(a) Peoria, South Carolina.
(b) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
(c) Parris Island, South Carolina.
(d) Andersonville, California.
2. Why does Vance assert that Januaries were often depressing during his childhood in the Conclusion?
(a) Tax refunds were not enough to cover Christmas gifts.
(b) Christmas had passed and school was back in session.
(c) The endless snow.
(d) The endless rain.
3. Who was the professor who explained how The Yale Law Journal worked, and who encouraged Vance to try for it?
(a) Amy Chua.
(b) William Julius Wilson.
(c) Ron Selby.
(d) Jennifer McGuffey.
4. Who was Gail's second husband?
5. How much money per month did Vance send to his grandmother after her insurance premiums went up too much for her to afford them in Chapter 10?
6. What is Vance's sister Lindsay's last name?
7. What does ACE stand for in Vance's definition in Chapter 14?
(a) Alert Creative Entity.
(b) Alternative Care Encouragement.
(c) Arkansas Central Expedition.
(d) Adverse childhood experiences.
8. How does Vance describe his experience of going to a counselor when he was in law school?
(a) It made him want to vomit.
(b) It made him feel respected.
(c) He gained great insight from it.
(d) It made him feel relieved.
9. What kind of wine does Vance describe having asked for at the elite meeting with a law agency based on its ability to be pronounced in Chapter 13?
(a) Sauvignon blanc.
(b) Pinot gricio.
10. How does Vance describe himself at Yale Law School?
(a) As being like everyone else.
(b) As a popular student.
(c) As an anomaly.
(d) As having fit in with the crowd.
11. Where did Vance have lunch with his sister Lindsay on the day of his orientation at Ohio State?
12. What law firm did Vance get invited to a dinner with after his first interviews at Yale Law, hosted at an elite New Haven restaurant?
(a) Bernstein, Liebhard and Lifshitz, LLP.
(b) Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher, LLP.
(c) Anderson, Smith and Watson, LLP.
(d) Williams, Schumer and Smith, LLP.
13. When was Mamaw's 72nd birthday?
(a) February, 2007.
(b) June, 2006.
(c) March, 2003.
(d) April, 2005.
14. When did Vance arrive for orientation at Ohio State?
(a) September, 2007.
(b) March, 2003.
(c) March, 2008.
(d) January, 2008.
15. In what war did Vance serve as a Marine?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Iraq War.
(d) The War in Afghanistan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Vance when he bought his first Honda Civic and was discharged from the Marine Corps?
2. Which of Mamaw's siblings refused to ever speak to Vance's mother after Mamaw died?
3. Where does Vance describe having a fight with Usha after having performed badly at an interview for a firm during their second year of law school?
4. What verse from the Bible did Vance read on Mamaw's death bed?
5. Where does author J. D. Vance currently live?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)