|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Vance's stepfather and his eventual adoptive father?
(a) William Julius Wilson.
(b) Bob Hamel.
(c) Ron Selby.
(d) Don Bowman.
2. According to Vance in Chapter 1, most of the people in Jackson, Kentucky live in the mountains surrounding what highway?
(a) Highway 66.
(b) Highway 1.
(c) Highway 15.
(d) Highway 101.
3. When did Vance's grandparents leave Jackson, Kentucky to move north?
(a) The early 1960s.
(b) The late 1950s.
(c) The late 1940s.
(d) The late 1970s.
4. What kind of businesses did Uncle Pet start up?
(a) Banking and trading.
(b) Bricklaying and roofing.
(c) Timber and construction.
(d) Railroad construction.
5. Where did Vance work to save money before going to graduate school?
(a) A floor tile distribution business.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) An online stock trade company.
6. About how many people live in Jackson, Kentucky, according to Vance in Chapter 1?
7. What relative was Vance smuggled into a hospital to visit on his death bed?
(a) Uncle Teaberry.
(b) Uncle Pet.
(c) Uncle Jackson.
(d) Uncle Tom.
8. What does Vance describe the road to hell being paved with in Chapter 6?
(a) Good actions.
(d) Good intentions.
9. What kind of car did Papaw drive?
(a) An El Camino.
(b) A Cadillac.
(c) A Buick.
(d) A Honda Civic.
10. When did Vance's grandparents (Mamaw and Papaw) marry?
11. On what television show does Vance describe watching an episode about education in America in Chapter 8?
(b) Twin Peaks.
(d) The West Wing.
12. Who wrote the book The Truly Disadvantaged?
(a) Ron Selby.
(b) William Julius Wilson.
(c) Jennifer McGuffey.
(d) Bob Hamel.
13. What does Vance describe Papaw teaching him to do during his childhood in Chapter 7?
(a) Ice skate.
(b) Play baseball.
(c) Shoot a BB gun.
14. What television show does Vance describe as his Mamaw's favorite in Chapter 9?
(a) The Sopranos.
(b) Mork and Mindy.
15. How old was Vance when his father gave him up for adoption?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vance get his first job while in high school?
2. Who intervened when Mamaw almost shot a man for stealing one of the family's cows?
3. What kind of business did Uncle Gary establish?
4. When does Vance describe the first wave of Scots-Irish immigrants landing in the New World in his Introduction?
5. What percentage of white children lived in neighborhoods with poverty rates above 10% in 2000, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)