|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mamaw tell Vance that there was nothing lower than when he was growing up?
(a) The poor stealing from the poor.
(b) Being a bully.
(c) Cheating on one's spouse.
2. What does Vance describe the road to hell being paved with in Chapter 6?
(a) Good intentions.
(b) Good actions.
3. What kind of businesses did Uncle Pet start up?
(a) Bricklaying and roofing.
(b) Banking and trading.
(c) Timber and construction.
(d) Railroad construction.
4. What is the name of the bully that Vance describes sucker-punching in the gut to defend a younger boy in Chapter 5?
5. Who intervened when Mamaw almost shot a man for stealing one of the family's cows?
(a) Uncle Pet.
(b) Uncle John.
(c) Uncle Pete.
(d) Uncle David.
6. Where did Vance grow up?
(a) Jackson, Ohio.
(b) Middleton, Ohio.
(c) Jackson, Mississippi.
(d) Jamestown, Ohio.
7. How old was Vance when his mom and stepdad moved the family to Preble County?
8. How far is Hamilton from Middletown, Ohio?
(a) 50 miles away.
(b) 10 miles away.
(c) 30 miles away.
(d) 20 miles away.
9. Where did Vance's mother want him to move and live with her when he was 14, but he refused?
(a) Jackson, Missouri.
(b) Napa, California.
(c) Cincinnati, Ohio.
(d) Dayton, Ohio.
10. How much money did Mamaw pay to get Vance a graphing calculator for his Advanced Math class in his junior year?
11. What is the name of the author's grandfather?
(a) William Jackson.
(b) Jim Vance.
(c) James Ratcliff.
(d) Michael Vance.
12. Where did Uncle Gary move to open a business?
13. Who is the Middletown High School teacher who works with at-risk youth in Middletown and is quoted by Vance in Chapter 4?
(a) Ron Selby.
(b) Jennifer McGuffey.
(c) William Julius Wilson.
(d) Bob Hamel.
14. Who was Vance's mother's kind old gay friend who died suddenly?
15. In what year was Vance born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among Vance's mother's love interests does he describe as an alcoholic police officer in Chapter 1?
2. What relative was Vance smuggled into a hospital to visit on his death bed?
3. How old was Vance when Papaw died?
4. Vance notes in his Introduction that William Julius Wilson, Charles Murray, and others have authored tracts demonstrating that upward mobility fell of in what decade in the U.S.?
5. When did Vance's grandparents (Mamaw and Papaw) marry?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)