|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the government program called that offers low-income residents a voucher to rent housing?
(a) Section 10.
(b) Section 6.
(c) Section 12.
(d) Section 8.
2. Who was Vance's mother's kind old gay friend who died suddenly?
3. On what television show does Vance describe watching an episode about education in America in Chapter 8?
(b) Twin Peaks.
(c) The West Wing.
4. Who is the only Republican that Papaw ever voted for in a presidential election?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) George W. Bush.
(c) George H. W. Bush.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
5. Where did Vance's mother want him to move and live with her when he was 14, but he refused?
(a) Jackson, Missouri.
(b) Dayton, Ohio.
(c) Cincinnati, Ohio.
(d) Napa, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Vance describe the first wave of Scots-Irish immigrants landing in the New World in his Introduction?
2. Vance notes in his Introduction that William Julius Wilson, Charles Murray, and others have authored tracts demonstrating that upward mobility fell of in what decade in the U.S.?
3. Vance says in Chapter 9 that his sister Lindsay once told them that above all else, their mother was what?
4. Who intervened when Mamaw almost shot a man for stealing one of the family's cows?
5. What percentage of the public high school's entering freshmen will not make it to graduation in Middletown, according to Vance in Chapter 4?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)