|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anita spend her winter at the end of Chapter 4?
2. Where did Anita stay when Don was away from her?
3. What was Anita's first marriage built upon?
4. What did Anita show her talent was, during her first performance at the Off-Beat?
5. Who did Gladys marry first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe James.
2. Describe Aunt Belle.
3. Describe Anita's life at age 14.
4. Why did Anita drown her sorrows in cognac and marijuana in the Chelsea Hotel?
5. Why did Anita run away in Chapter 1?
6. What was Anita's other talent besides dancing?
7. How did Anita feel that her mother felt about her?
8. Describe the people Anita says could not maintain a menial job, like "regular folks".
9. Describe what happened after Anita's first sexual encounter.
10. Describe the advertisement Anita saw in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anita's health by the end of World War II. How does her health reflect the type of lifestyle she was living?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Anita's relationship with Benny Goodman and how this relationship differs from all others she had.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Anita's time at the Off-Beat and Chelsea Hotel, and how this particular time was significant to Anita's beginning use of drugs and alcohol.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)