|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anita spend her winter at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How long did Anita play for her first set at Off-Beat?
3. What did Anita's idol use to convey the messages of her songs?
4. How does Chapter 1 describe Anita?
5. What was Anita's first marriage built upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anita feel that her mother felt about her?
2. Who is Gene Kruppa?
3. What did Anita demonstrate her first night at the Off-Beat?
4. Describe James.
5. Why did Anita run away in Chapter 1?
6. What did Gladys allow Anita to do in Chapter 2?
7. What eventually happened to Don and Anita?
8. Describe Martha Raye.
9. Describe the people Anita says could not maintain a menial job, like "regular folks".
10. Describe Aunt Belle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Planet Mars initiated Anita into the crowds and mentality of jazz musicians and what it enabled her to do.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anita's health by the end of World War II. How does her health reflect the type of lifestyle she was living?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the paradox of Anita's setting when and where she realized her love and passion for singing. How was this setting somewhat paradoxical?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)