|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the newlywed couple move to?
2. What did James NOT do?
3. What does Chapter 4 open with?
4. What did Anita begin to do to make money in Chapter 3?
5. In what year was Anita born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anita's other talent besides dancing?
2. Describe the people Anita says could not maintain a menial job, like "regular folks".
3. Why did Anita run away in Chapter 1?
4. What did Gladys allow Anita to do in Chapter 2?
5. Why did Anita drown her sorrows in cognac and marijuana in the Chelsea Hotel?
6. Describe what the Off-Beat was.
7. Describe Anita and Don's relationship.
8. What did Anita demonstrate her first night at the Off-Beat?
9. How did Anita feel that her mother felt about her?
10. Describe Gladys.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anita's health by the end of World War II. How does her health reflect the type of lifestyle she was living?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Anita that lived during the Great Depression to the Anita that lived during World War II. How are they similar and how do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Anita had to do in order to play at cabarets in New York City, and its level of importance to Anita and her career.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)