|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Anita born?
2. Where was Anita able to work her way up singing?
3. How much could one earn in a dance marathon?
4. Where did Anita move after she rejected her second marriage proposal?
5. What does Anita note that her mother did not have in her life during her growing up years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anita demonstrate her first night at the Off-Beat?
2. Describe James.
3. Describe Martha Raye.
4. Describe what happened after Anita's first sexual encounter.
5. What was Anita's other talent besides dancing?
6. Describe Anita's life at age 14.
7. Describe Gladys.
8. Who is Gene Kruppa?
9. Describe Aunt Belle.
10. Why did Anita drown her sorrows in cognac and marijuana in the Chelsea Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Planet Mars initiated Anita into the crowds and mentality of jazz musicians and what it enabled her to do.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and explain Anita's disruptive and emotionally bankrupt childhood and how it led to her early adult life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anita's time with Gene Kruppa's band and what Anita realized about life on the road through her time traveling to different gigs.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)