|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Barbara Kingsolver told during protests?
2. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize the majority of her fan mail?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the most important part of her experience as a rock star?
4. How was the poaching of silverwood stopped?
5. What sound woke Barbara Kingsolver on her first morning in Cotonou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critique does Barbara Kingsolver make of violence in American art and culture?
2. What did Kingsolver remember about her hometown in Kentucky when she took her daughter to visit there?
3. How did Kingsolver learn to handle the question 'what is your book about'?
4. What is Kingsolver's idea of a family in 'Stone Soup'?
5. What note does "High Tide in Tucson" end on?
6. What were Barbara Kingsolver's thoughts about going on book tour?
7. What does Barbara Kingsolver find when she hiked into the bottom of the volcano at Haleakala?
8. What kinds of response did Barbara Kingsolver typically receive from fans?
9. What threats to the Hawaiian ecosystems does Barbara Kingsolver describe?
10. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about how the Africans greeted her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does "High Tide in Tucson" work as a coherent book, or is it just a jumbled collection of unrelated essays? Analyze the thematic coherence of the collection of essays.
Essay Topic 3
What rules of writing does Barbara Kingsolver seem to follow in her essays? What rules does she break? What does Kingsolver's approach to the rules tell us about her literary self?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)