|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Barbara Kingsolver feel that she was being patriotic?
2. What instrument did Barbara Kingsolver and her daughter play at the Museum?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the most important part of her experience as a rock star?
4. What job did Barbara Kingsolver take at 25?
5. What is the Heard Museum a center for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Barbara Kingsolver and her daughter do at the Heard Museum?
2. How did Kingsolver learn to handle the question 'what is your book about'?
3. What critique does Barbara Kingsolver make of violence in American art and culture?
4. Why was Barbara Kingsolver told to 'love it or leave it'?
5. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about the difference between her fiction and her non-fiction?
6. What did Kingsolver remember about her hometown in Kentucky when she took her daughter to visit there?
7. What does Kingsolver mean by invoking the notion of stone soup?
8. What is Kingsolver's idea of a family in 'Stone Soup'?
9. What kinds of response did Barbara Kingsolver typically receive from fans?
10. What note does "High Tide in Tucson" end on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What does Barbara Kingsolver tell us about her marriages in these essays? What are her thoughts on marriage? Does Kingsolver's divorce and re-marriage form a consistent theme, or just a loose background presence?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "High Tide in Tucson". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)