|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the worst thing about book tour?
2. What information does Barbara Kingsolver say the Pentagon suppressed?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the most important part of her experience as a rock star?
4. What crop crowded out native plants in the environment Barbara Kingsolver visited?
5. What does Barbara Kingsolver say her readers assume about her work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kingsolver learn to handle the question 'what is your book about'?
2. What threats to the Hawaiian ecosystems does Barbara Kingsolver describe?
3. Why did Barbara Kingsolver take Camille to see at the Heard Museum?
4. What kinds of response did Barbara Kingsolver typically receive from fans?
5. Describe Kingsolver's training as an animal behaviorist.
6. What is Kingsolver's idea of a family in 'Stone Soup'?
7. What was Barbara Kingsolver's experience with the Rock Bottom Remainders?
8. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about how the Africans greeted her?
9. What note does "High Tide in Tucson" end on?
10. What does Barbara Kingsolver see at the Hiroshima Museum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Barbara Kingsolver balance following her own 'tides' and being self-critical or aware of the tides that move other people or things?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate how consistent Barbara Kingsolver is with her own message. How much does she practice what she preaches? Where does she contradict herself, and how does she handle the contradiction?
Essay Topic 3
What is the basis of Kingsolver's critique of violence and warfare? Is she mounting a philosophical attack on warfare, or is she merely expressing her disagreement with violent methods?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)