|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Barbara Kingsolver sad when she collected mussels from Horse Lick Creek?
2. Whose work was Barbara Kingsolver reading during this work?
3. Why were Barbara Kingsolver's friends jealous of her book tour?
4. What instrument did Barbara Kingsolver and her daughter play at the Museum?
5. What drew Barbara Kingsolver and her second husband together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kingsolver remember about her hometown in Kentucky when she took her daughter to visit there?
2. What was Barbara Kingsolver's experience with the Rock Bottom Remainders?
3. Why had Barbara Kingsolver gone to Cotonou to visit?
4. What is Kingsolver's idea of a family in 'Stone Soup'?
5. Why was Kingsolver reluctant to join the Rock Bottom Remainders?
6. Why did Barbara Kingsolver leave the U.S. for Spain, and what did her time away teach her?
7. What threats to the Hawaiian ecosystems does Barbara Kingsolver describe?
8. Why was Kingsolver opposed to the Gulf War?
9. What note does "High Tide in Tucson" end on?
10. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about how the Africans greeted her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Barbara Kingsolver tell us about her marriages in these essays? What are her thoughts on marriage? Does Kingsolver's divorce and re-marriage form a consistent theme, or just a loose background presence?
Essay Topic 2
Does "High Tide in Tucson" work as a coherent book, or is it just a jumbled collection of unrelated essays? Analyze the thematic coherence of the collection of essays.
Essay Topic 3
Analyzing the various essays in "High Tide in Tucson", describe the impact Kingsolver's family had on her. What aspects of their influence does she cherish? What aspects has she distanced herself from? How has she compensated for the guilt that comes from distance?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)