|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these things did Barbara Kingsolver NOT remember when she took Camille to visit her childhood home?
2. Whom did Barbara Kingsolver silently thank during her visit to Horse Lick Creek?
3. What question did Barbara Kingsolver dislike having to answer?
4. Why were Barbara Kingsolver's friends jealous of her book tour?
5. What was Horse Lick Creek threatened by, when Barbara Kingsolver visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kingsolver's idea of a family in 'Stone Soup'?
2. What kinds of response did Barbara Kingsolver typically receive from fans?
3. What was Barbara Kingsolver's experience with the Rock Bottom Remainders?
4. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about the difference between her fiction and her non-fiction?
5. Why was Barbara Kingsolver reticent about visiting the Titan Missile Museum?
6. Why was Barbara Kingsolver told to 'love it or leave it'?
7. What did Kingsolver remember about her hometown in Kentucky when she took her daughter to visit there?
8. What critique does Barbara Kingsolver make of violence in American art and culture?
9. Why was Kingsolver opposed to the Gulf War?
10. What note does "High Tide in Tucson" end on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What contradictions are at the center of Barbara Kingsolver's work? What questions does she puzzle over without resolving them? What balances between irreconcilable oppositions does she strike?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)