|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Barbara Kingsolver's feelings about being a 'rock star'?
2. Why couldn't Barbara Kingsolver refuse to go on book tour?
3. When were the Titan Missiles outside of Tucson taken out of service?
4. What made Barbara Kingsolver feel that she was being patriotic?
5. What information does Barbara Kingsolver say the Pentagon suppressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Barbara Kingsolver leave the U.S. for Spain, and what did her time away teach her?
2. What kinds of response did Barbara Kingsolver typically receive from fans?
3. Why was Kingsolver opposed to the Gulf War?
4. What does Barbara Kingsolver see at the Hiroshima Museum?
5. Why was Barbara Kingsolver told to 'love it or leave it'?
6. Why was Barbara Kingsolver reticent about visiting the Titan Missile Museum?
7. Why had Barbara Kingsolver gone to Cotonou to visit?
8. What did Barbara Kingsolver and her daughter do at the Heard Museum?
9. Why did Barbara Kingsolver take Camille to see at the Heard Museum?
10. What did Kingsolver remember about her hometown in Kentucky when she took her daughter to visit there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has moving affected Barbara Kingsolver's life and outlook? What have the advantages and disadvantages of moving been? What trade-offs has it involved?
Essay Topic 2
Analyzing the various essays in "High Tide in Tucson", describe the impact Kingsolver's family had on her. What aspects of their influence does she cherish? What aspects has she distanced herself from? How has she compensated for the guilt that comes from distance?
Essay Topic 3
Is Barbara Kingsolver a typical liberal? Analyze her essays for evidence of Kingsolver's political persuasion, and evaluate it in relation to the spectrum of political views in America.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)