|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the creature do after these periods of dormancy?
2. What did Barbara Kingsolver get instead of what she'd asked for, at Christmas?
3. What was Camille told every day when she was four?
4. What does Barbara Kingsolver say she spent as little time as possible on?
5. For what occasion does Barbara Kingsolver say she bought an expensive, chic outfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson is Barbara Kingsolver trying to teach her daughter about housekeeping?
2. Describe Kingsolver's trip to La Gomera.
3. What was Buster's 'personality' like?
4. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about American education?
5. What is the 'high tide of Tucson' a metaphor for?
6. What inequality does Barbara Kingsolver explore in housekeeping?
7. What was Camille's experience of Spain like?
8. What did Barbara Kingsolver find when she started to read?
9. What is Barbara Kingsolver's philosophy of housekeeping?
10. How did America and Europe compare in terms of childrearing, in Barbara Kingsolver's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does "High Tide in Tucson" work as a coherent book, or is it just a jumbled collection of unrelated essays? Analyze the thematic coherence of the collection of essays.
Essay Topic 2
What effect do Barbara Kingsolver's essays have on you as a reader? What effect do you think Kingsolver was aiming to have with her essays? What about you and what about Kingsolver explains the difference?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)