|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Barbara Kingsolver find on the Eagle Tail Trail?
2. How do Barbara Kingsolver's meditations on private property relate to her thoughts about moving to Tucson?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say she lacked in high school?
4. Who discovered Barbara Kingsolver's contraband?
5. What omen accompanied Barbara Kingsolver's arrival in La Gomera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of this essay signify?
2. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize the population of Tucson when she lives there?
3. How did Barbara Kingsolver get Buster?
4. What problem does Barbara Kingsolver say her school system was plagued by, in 'How Mr. Dewey Decimal Saved My Life'?
5. Where does the idea of private property come from?
6. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the reaction to her books in her hometown?
7. Where does intellectual testing come from, in Barbara Kingsolver's opinion?
8. How would the Native Indians in Tucson bring rain after the dry season, according to Barbara Kingsolver?
9. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about American education?
10. What is E. O. Wilson's theory on monogamy in human beings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect do Barbara Kingsolver's essays have on you as a reader? What effect do you think Kingsolver was aiming to have with her essays? What about you and what about Kingsolver explains the difference?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate how consistent Barbara Kingsolver is with her own message. How much does she practice what she preaches? Where does she contradict herself, and how does she handle the contradiction?
Essay Topic 3
What contradictions are at the center of Barbara Kingsolver's work? What questions does she puzzle over without resolving them? What balances between irreconcilable oppositions does she strike?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)