|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument of E.O. Wilson's does book reject?
2. What does Barbara Kingsolver lose after twenty years in Tucson?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say the librarian introduced her to?
4. What evidence does Stephen Jay Gould say George Morton ignored in his measurements?
5. What did Barbara Kingsolver name her creature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'high tide of Tucson' a metaphor for?
2. What did Barbara Kingsolver get when she asked for go-go-boots?
3. What did Barbara Kingsolver find when she started to read?
4. How did the librarian save Barbara Kingsolver from her school's limitations?
5. How did Barbara Kingsolver get Buster?
6. What was Camille's experience of Spain like?
7. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about American education?
8. Why did Barbara Kingsolver move to Tucson?
9. Why does Barbara Kingsolver say the Terrible Twos and the teen years are dreaded by parents?
10. Where does intellectual testing come from, in Barbara Kingsolver's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does "High Tide in Tucson" work as a coherent book, or is it just a jumbled collection of unrelated essays? Analyze the thematic coherence of the collection of essays.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is the audience for Barbara Kingsolver's essays, and what do you think characterizes those readers? Who would be least likely to read Barbara Kingsolver, and why? What objections could readers make to her work?
Essay Topic 3
How has moving affected Barbara Kingsolver's life and outlook? What have the advantages and disadvantages of moving been? What trade-offs has it involved?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)