|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say people feel about children in the place where the family lived in Camille's fourth year?
2. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize her physique?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say she spent as little time as possible on?
4. What does Barbara Kingsolver lose when she moved to Tucson?
5. What did Barbara Kingsolver beg her parents for one Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did America and Europe compare in terms of childrearing, in Barbara Kingsolver's opinion?
2. Describe Kingsolver's trip to La Gomera.
3. What is Barbara Kingsolver's philosophy of housekeeping?
4. What does the title of this essay signify?
5. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize her daughter at age two?
6. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize the population of Tucson when she lives there?
7. How did Barbara Kingsolver get Buster?
8. What is Barbara Kingsolver's philosophy for raising her own daughter?
9. What was Buster's 'personality' like?
10. Why does Barbara Kingsolver say the Terrible Twos and the teen years are dreaded by parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyzing the various essays in "High Tide in Tucson", describe the impact Kingsolver's family had on her. What aspects of their influence does she cherish? What aspects has she distanced herself from? How has she compensated for the guilt that comes from distance?
Essay Topic 2
Does "High Tide in Tucson" work as a coherent book, or is it just a jumbled collection of unrelated essays? Analyze the thematic coherence of the collection of essays.
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)