|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion does Barbara Kingsolver say she bought an expensive, chic outfit?
2. When was Barbara Kingsolver recruited by the librarian?
3. Who discovered Barbara Kingsolver's contraband?
4. What example does Barbara Kingsolver give us, to justify her characterization of her physique?
5. What would Barbara Kingsolver find on the sidewalk in front of her house before she moved to Tucson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about who should be a parent?
2. What is the 'high tide of Tucson' a metaphor for?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say about photographs and memories?
4. What does the title of this essay signify?
5. Describe Kingsolver's trip to La Gomera.
6. How did Barbara Kingsolver's sense of fashion change as she grew up?
7. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the reaction to her books in her hometown?
8. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize her own parents' generation's parenting style?
9. What did Barbara Kingsolver find when she started to read?
10. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize her wardrobe in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate how consistent Barbara Kingsolver is with her own message. How much does she practice what she preaches? Where does she contradict herself, and how does she handle the contradiction?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "High Tide in Tucson". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)