|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Barbara Kingsolver sad when she collected mussels from Horse Lick Creek?
(a) The species was dying out.
(b) The species was not a native species.
(c) The species were overpopulating the creek.
(d) The species was adapting to pollution and changing color.
2. What does Barbara Kingsolver say is the consequence of watching violent films?
(a) Protecting against violence.
(b) Understanding the roots of violence.
(c) Understanding the consequences of violence.
(d) Acting out violently.
3. Why does Barbara Kingsolver say the people are kept in the dark about wars?
(a) To insulate politicians from criticism.
(b) To protect their support for it.
(c) To protect them from hard truths.
(d) To preserve the illusion of prosperity and peace.
4. What are Barbara Kingsolver's feelings about nuclear weapons?
(a) They should only be used to avert all-out war.
(b) They work as effective deterrents.
(c) They should be banned.
(d) They should only be possessed by two or three nations.
5. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize the hotel in Cotonou?
6. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize her fan mail?
7. What question did Barbara Kingsolver dislike having to answer?
(a) How do you support yourself?
(b) What are you working on now?
(c) What is your book about?
(d) How do you survive having been divorced?
8. What did Barbara Kingsolver build behind her house?
(a) A pond.
(b) An outhouse.
(c) A garden.
(d) A dog run.
9. What does Barbara Kingsolver accuse the American military of doing to Iraq in 1991?
(a) Destroying the water system.
(b) Massacring its people.
(c) Selling its debt.
(d) Crippling its nuclear programs.
10. What sound woke Barbara Kingsolver on her first morning in Cotonou?
(c) Mosques calling worshippers to prayer.
(d) Jet airplanes.
11. Why did it take Barbara Kingsolver a long time to visit the Titan Missile Museum outside of Tucson?
(a) She didn't have a car for a long time.
(b) She couldn't imagine what she would learn.
(c) She visited a lot of other museums first.
(d) She was opposed to nuclear weapons.
12. What myth does Barbara Kingsolver say is starting to be exposed?
(a) The myth that families can survive in isolation.
(b) The myth that success comes from hard work.
(c) The myth that marriage should be blissful.
(d) The myth that spouses continue to love each other throughout marriage.
13. How does Barbara Kingsolver characterize the majority of her fan mail?
14. How did Barbara Kingsolver think people would see her after she and her husband divorced?
(a) As a charity case.
(b) As an impostor.
(c) As scandalous.
(d) As a fallen woman.
15. What is the Heard Museum a center for?
(a) Manifest Destiny.
(b) Spanish-American history.
(c) Native American culture.
(d) Pioneer culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Camille thrilled by at Horse Lick Creek?
2. What was Horse Lick Creek threatened by, when Barbara Kingsolver visited?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say could be purchased at Turner's General Store?
4. Why were the Titan Missiles decommissioned, in Barbara Kingsolver's account?
5. What makes writing rewarding for Barbara Kingsolver?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)