|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say people feel about children in the place where the family lived in Camille's fourth year?
2. Why were women relegated to household chores, according to Barbara Kingsolver?
(a) Men could support them.
(b) They were better at it than men.
(c) Women were not educated.
(d) Men would not let them into the workplace.
3. What is the difference between men's and women's salaries after a divorce, in Barbara Kingsolver's account?
(a) The women's goes up.
(b) The men's goes up more quickly.
(c) The men's goes up.
(d) The women's goes down faster than the men's go up.
4. What made Barbara Kingsolver think that the creature was dead?
(a) He would not appear to breathe.
(b) He would not move for days on end.
(c) He would get very cold.
(d) He smelled like he was decaying.
5. What did Barbara Kingsolver buy in the unnamed town she found?
(d) A leather purse.
6. What did living in this place make Barbara Kingsolver see about how Americans see children?
(a) They see children as little souls.
(b) They see children as luxuries.
(c) They see children in terms of economics.
(d) They see children as little bothers.
7. What was Camille told every day when she was four?
(a) That she was a nuisance.
(b) That she should keep quiet.
(c) That she was pretty.
(d) That she had a great potential.
8. What argument of E.O. Wilson's does book reject?
(a) That genetics drives all of human existence.
(b) That morality is an evolutionary construct.
(c) That people are products of their environments.
(d) That people have free will.
9. What kind of poetry does Barbara Kingsolver survival requires?
(a) A poetry of hunger.
(b) A poetry of endurance.
(c) A poetry of pleasure.
(d) A poetry of desire.
10. Who discovered Barbara Kingsolver's contraband?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her dog.
11. What evidence does Stephen Jay Gould say George Morton ignored in his measurements?
(a) Geological origin of specimens.
(b) Cultural influences on bone formations.
(c) Relative skull and body sizes.
(d) Evolutionary pressures on early human populations.
12. Why does Barbara Kingsolver cringe when the evangelists urge women to take up housework?
(a) She knows that the only path to self-fulfillment is through education.
(b) She knows that men will not always support them.
(c) She knows that religion is usually an obstacle to a woman's self-fulfillment.
(d) She knows that they will be trapped in it forever.
13. Where did Barbara Kingsolver settle in her travels?
14. What had Barbara Kingsolver smuggled back to Arizona from the Bahamas?
(a) A hermit crab.
(b) A cat.
(c) A starfish.
(d) A lizard.
15. Who made it through the trying times most successfully, according to Laurence Steinberg?
(a) Parents with extensive support networks.
(b) Parents with higher incomes.
(c) Parents with satisfying careers.
(d) Parents with bigger houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say Wilson ignores?
2. What would Barbara Kingsolver find on the sidewalk in front of her house before she moved to Tucson?
3. What did Barbara Kingsolver give her creature regularly?
4. Where does Barbara Kingsolver say U.S. culture is going?
5. How does Barbara Kingsolver compare the U.S. to other countries in terms of education?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)