|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Barbara Kingsolver find out about the creature's spells of dormancy?
(a) They were a result of poisoning.
(b) They were normal.
(c) They were a sign of illness.
(d) They were a sign of culture shock.
2. What news did Barbara Kingsolver get on the day she brought her first daughter home?
(a) That her book would be published.
(b) That her book was getting good reviews.
(c) That her mother had died.
(d) That her mother was furious about the book she had written.
3. How does Barbara Kingsolver compare the U.S. to other countries in terms of education?
(a) Other countries' students are not as developed as American students.
(b) American students score higher than other countries' students in all categories.
(c) Other countries' students are more advanced than American students.
(d) Other countries spend more on education than the U.S. does.
4. What did Camille do on purpose, when Barbara Kingsolver warned her not to?
(a) Cut her finger.
(b) Spilled milk on herself.
(c) Knocked over orange juice.
(d) Tracked mud into the kitchen.
5. What lesson does Barbara Kingsolver say she is teaching her daughter?
(a) That a marriage can remain intact through changes.
(b) That a woman has freedom to choose her sexual partners.
(c) That a woman can be head of a household.
(d) That a woman can benefit by divorce.
6. What is the 'Tide of Tucson'?
(a) The threat that global warming would bring the ocean to Arizona.
(b) The rhythm by which the creature moved about.
(c) The rhythm of the creature's hunger and dormancy.
(d) The rhythm of visitors in Barbara Kingsolver's house.
7. Where has Barbara Kingsolver come from, to Arizona?
(c) New York.
8. What development does Barbara Kingsolver describe as a survival tool people acquired 'in the beginning'?
9. What period did Steinberg conclude was most trying or parents?
(a) The first two years of college.
(b) Terrible twos.
(c) The first year.
10. What resulted from the need to hunt, according to Barbara Kingsolver?
(a) The need to eliminate competitors for game.
(b) The need to walk upright.
(c) The need to communicate.
(d) The need to wage war.
11. What geo-political events motivated Barbara Kingsolver to travel?
(a) The fall of the Berlin Wall.
(b) Drought in Tucson.
(c) Hurricane Hugo.
(d) The Gulf War.
12. What does Barbara Kingsolver say is society's responsibility in regard to children?
(a) To get them through high school.
(b) To help them reach their dreams.
(c) To feed and clothe them.
(d) To participate in their care.
13. What did Barbara Kingsolver buy in the unnamed town she found?
(a) A leather purse.
14. What argument of E.O. Wilson's does book reject?
(a) That morality is an evolutionary construct.
(b) That people are products of their environments.
(c) That people have free will.
(d) That genetics drives all of human existence.
15. What would Barbara Kingsolver find on the sidewalk in front of her house before she moved to Tucson?
(a) Drug paraphernalia.
(b) Empty beer bottles.
(c) Pornographic images.
Short Answer Questions
1. What notion does Barbara Kingsolver dismiss as absurd?
2. For what occasion does Barbara Kingsolver say she bought an expensive, chic outfit?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver say early anthropologists say about hunting?
4. What was Barbara Kingsolver fleeing from in the U.S.?
5. What would Barbara Kingsolver wear to school?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)