|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson does Barbara Kingsolver say she is teaching her daughter?
(a) That a marriage can remain intact through changes.
(b) That a woman can be head of a household.
(c) That a woman has freedom to choose her sexual partners.
(d) That a woman can benefit by divorce.
2. What did H. H. Goddard devise?
(a) Tests for determining whether to admit immigrants.
(b) Statistical measurement techniques for bones.
(c) Bone-dating tests for archaeologists.
(d) Intelligence tests for immigrants.
3. How does Barbara Kingsolver describe the photos that represent her past, now that she's moved to Tucson?
(a) Perfect photos.
(b) Incomplete photos.
(c) Artificial photos.
(d) Doctored photos.
4. Why were women relegated to household chores, according to Barbara Kingsolver?
(a) Men would not let them into the workplace.
(b) Women were not educated.
(c) Men could support them.
(d) They were better at it than men.
5. What was the problem with the education system in Barbara Kingsolver's hometown?
(a) Rural biases against intellectuals.
(b) Social turmoil.
(c) Meager funds.
(d) Race tension.
6. What was the creature's reaction to Arizona?
(a) He adjusted quickly.
(c) He was terrified.
(d) He was unaware.
7. What does Barbara Kingsolver say her school system would not have prepared her for?
(a) A career.
8. What does Barbara Kingsolver say she lacked in high school?
(b) Relations with adults.
(d) A belief system.
9. What did Barbara Kingsolver find out about the creature's spells of dormancy?
(a) They were a sign of culture shock.
(b) They were a sign of illness.
(c) They were normal.
(d) They were a result of poisoning.
10. What did living in this place make Barbara Kingsolver see about how Americans see children?
(a) They see children as little souls.
(b) They see children as luxuries.
(c) They see children in terms of economics.
(d) They see children as little bothers.
11. What argument of E.O. Wilson's does book reject?
(a) That people are products of their environments.
(b) That genetics drives all of human existence.
(c) That morality is an evolutionary construct.
(d) That people have free will.
12. What did one boy compare Barbara Kingsolver to in high school?
(a) The creature from the Black Lagoon.
(b) Madame Curie.
(d) Bride of Frankenstein.
13. What other developments does Barbara Kingsolver say resulted from hunting?
(b) Social structures.
(d) Tool making.
14. Why does Barbara Kingsolver say she joined the group she joined?
(a) She wanted to test a theory.
(b) She wanted to learn.
(c) She wanted to lose weight.
(d) She wanted to feel strong.
15. What did Barbara Kingsolver beg her parents for one Christmas?
(a) Go-go boots.
(b) To move.
(c) A horse.
(d) A radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara Kingsolver say worked against her in high school?
2. What does Barbara Kingsolver say was the priority in college?
3. What does Barbara Kingsolver teach her daughter, instead of showing her how to make hospital corners?
4. What did Barbara Kingsolver find on the Eagle Tail Trail?
5. What had Barbara Kingsolver smuggled back to Arizona from the Bahamas?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)