|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes up with a scheme to make extra money?
2. Where does Stephanie go for dinner?
3. Who does Stephanie ask for advice about keeping the car Ranger gives her?
4. Why is Fred killed?
5. What sideswipes Stephanie's Porsche?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephanie suspect about Shempsky and why is it suspicious that he's not at work? What might this foreshadow?
2. What does Shempsky tell Stephanie about his plans?
3. What is revealed about Fred and Mabel's relationship through mention of what Mabel has been doing?
4. What is ironic about how Stephanie is saved from Shempsky killing her?
5. What do Stephanie and Mary Lou do and does this seem like a normal, adult activity?
6. Describe the situation of Shempsky being caught.
7. Do you think Ranger is interested in marriage with Stephanie?
8. Who is Randy Briggs; why is he staying with Stephanie, and is it wise for Stephanie to allow him to stay with her?
9. Why does Stephanie leave the wedding reception without Morelli and what does she do?
10. How does Stephanie, along with the reader, finally learn about Shempsky's involvement in the situation Stpehanie (and Morelli) has been investigating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Joe Morelli to Ranger.
2. Compare/contrast the relationship of Joe to Stephanie to that of Ranger to Stephanie.
3. Compare/contrast the type of "community" in which Stephanie lives to your own.
Essay Topic 2
Many times after reading a novel, a reader will think it is either a great story or not that good. Part of this evaluation is quite subjective, but part can be traced to some characteristics that exist in most successful or unsuccessful novels. Discuss the following:
1. Articulate and analyze three reasons you think High Five is either successful or not successful.
2. What are some of the things you look for in a novel that make you enjoy the novel? Explain with examples.
3. If you were having a chat with Evanovich and she asks you about your experience reading High Five, what would you tell her.
Essay Topic 3
Stephanie is presented as a bumbler but who ultimately is successful despite the comical and sometimes dangerous situations in which she finds herself. Discuss one of the following:
1. Do you think Stephanie sees herself as a bumbler? Does Joe Morelli see her that way? Does Ranger?
2. What personality traits makes Stephanie so appealing to men? Which ones might be a turn off to them?
3. Discuss two of Stephanie's strong points and two of her flaws and how they affect her actions in the novel.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)