|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line does Rob refer to which Dick says is a song off a Richard Thompson album?
2. What does Barry call Rob for saying he won't come and see his band play?
3. What are the influences for Barry's band, according to him?
4. Who posted the advertisement for band members wanted at the shop?
5. What theme tune does the man come to the narrator's shop to buy for his wife's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liz tell Rob when she asks him out for a drink in Chapter 15?
2. Who does Charlie want Rob to meet? Why? How does he feel about it?
3. Where does Rob go to hide from Laura after the funeral? What does she say to him?
4. What happens to make Rob walk out after the funeral?
5. Who does the narrator phone last on his list? What happens on this call?
6. Who does Rob attend the funeral with? How does he feel about it? What do they talk about on the ride there?
7. What does Rob finally ask Charlie at the end of the night at her house? What does she reply?
8. What does the protagonist ask about while out with his second girlfriend? How does she react?
9. Who does Rob convince to go out on the night of his birthday? What is this group like?
10. Where does Rob meet Sarah? What happens while they are out together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss music as both a symbol and a theme in the novel. What does music symbolize to each of the main characters? How is it thematic to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of love and relationships in High Fidelity. How does this theme apply to all of the characters? How does it drive forward the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various uses of foreshadowing in the novel. Define what the term foreshadowing means and give examples of the text which reflect this literary technique. What is the purpose of foreshadowing in each of these instances?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)