|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rob constantly want to know from Laura after they're back together?
2. Who does Rob blame for his having dropped out of college?
3. Which of Rob's friends meets him at the pub on his birthday?
4. What is Clara's field of work?
5. What word does Liz say Laura used to describe how Rob's become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist ask about while out with his second girlfriend? How does she react?
2. Why does Ian phone Rob? What is their conversation? How is Rob once it ends?
3. Who are Paul and Miranda? What happens when Rob meets them?
4. Who does Rob convince to go out on the night of his birthday? What is this group like?
5. Who does the narrator phone last on his list? What happens on this call?
6. What do the guys talk about at work regarding funeral music?
7. Who does Rob attend the funeral with? How does he feel about it? What do they talk about on the ride there?
8. Who does Charlie want Rob to meet? Why? How does he feel about it?
9. Who stops outside the shop to look at a flier? Why does he speak to Barry?
10. Who comes into the shop unannounced in Chapter 22? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the terms "colloquialism," "idiom," and "dialogue." Discuss some of the colloquialism and idioms from the text and what they mean. Do the colloquialisms limit the novel? Were they used in the other adaptations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main character in High Fidelity. How do we know this character's thoughts and feelings? What are the objectives which drive the character's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "growing up" in the novel. How does this apply to the protagonist? How is this theme reflective of his relationships? What is this theme's relevance to the journey on which the narrator goes?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)