|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is the funeral for Laura's father?
2. What band does the narrator attribute to his falling for Rosie?
3. Why does Laura say her mother asked Rob to the funeral?
4. What color hair does Charlie have?
5. What line does Rob refer to which Dick says is a song off a Richard Thompson album?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it for the protagonist to meet his second girlfriend? Where do they meet?
2. What does the protagonist ask about while out with his second girlfriend? How does she react?
3. What does Liz tell Rob when she asks him out for a drink in Chapter 15?
4. Who are Paul and Miranda? What happens when Rob meets them?
5. Where does Rob meet Sarah? What happens while they are out together?
6. What does Rob remark about the times after he and Laura got back together in Chapter 29?
7. Who comes into the shop unannounced in Chapter 22? Why?
8. Who does Rob attend the funeral with? How does he feel about it? What do they talk about on the ride there?
9. Who is Jackie? Why does Rob go to see her? What does he learn there?
10. What happens when Laura comes to move her things out? How long does this take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main character in High Fidelity. How do we know this character's thoughts and feelings? What are the objectives which drive the character's actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions and objectives of Ian and Rob in their telephone call. What does each character want? Define the terms action and objective in your answer and describe each in this short conversation.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "growing up" in the novel. How does this apply to the protagonist? How is this theme reflective of his relationships? What is this theme's relevance to the journey on which the narrator goes?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)