|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first song on their list in Chapter 25 that Barry suggests?
2. Whom does Rob go out for pizza with in Chapter 19?
3. Who does the narrator meet at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What is Laura's mother's name?
5. How many funerals has the narrator been to in the past (before the one in the novel)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Laura comes to move her things out? How long does this take?
2. What does the protagonist ask about while out with his second girlfriend? How does she react?
3. Who stops outside the shop to look at a flier? Why does he speak to Barry?
4. Why does Laura call Rob in Chapter 25? What does she ask him?
5. Who does Rob convince to go out on the night of his birthday? What is this group like?
6. What does Liz tell Rob when she asks him out for a drink in Chapter 15?
7. Why does Ian phone Rob? What is their conversation? How is Rob once it ends?
8. How is it for the protagonist to meet his second girlfriend? Where do they meet?
9. Who is Jackie? Why does Rob go to see her? What does he learn there?
10. How does the narrator feel seeing Laura after the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexual jealousy in High Fidelity. How does this theme drive the protagonist's actions? How does it reflect in the other characters? What does this phrase mean in relation to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main character in High Fidelity. How do we know this character's thoughts and feelings? What are the objectives which drive the character's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss irony in High Fidelity. Define the term in its different uses and give examples of each. What does the narrator mean when he refers directly to irony early in the novel? What is the overriding irony of this character?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)