|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Maggie's mother die?
2. In what year was Phillip killed?
3. Why does Liverpool trade him?
4. What else does Patrick do?
5. How old is Jennie when Phillip dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the things that help Maggie to finally relax around Patrick?
2. How does Will's new headmaster at Fulham Road Primary School describe Will?
3. How does Will handle his first meeting with Maggie?
4. What causes Maggie to behave in a manner that is totally out of character for her?
5. Who records Maggie's song first and how does Maggie feel about it?
6. What is the largest explanation that Maggie has to clarify?
7. What happens when Will is six that changes him forever?
8. How does Will behave when he meets the manager of the Hammersmith Rangers, Allan Thomas?
9. What does Maggie discuss with Dr. Green?
10. What are the issues that bring Phillip to the edge of insanity and make him want to kill his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Insanity is a plea often used in the court system. What qualifies as an insanity defense? Could Maggie have claimed temporary insanity as a defense in the killing of Patrick or Will? If so, why? How is the defense preferable for the person convicted? Compare a guilty verdict to a guilty verdict by reason of insanity? What are the similarities and what are the differences? How might Will have used this defense had he been required to for Palmer's murder or for the attempted murder of Maggie and her children?
Essay Topic 2
Parents are often willing to make extreme sacrifices for their children. In this novel, what examples of this are found? What is the basis for the connection that enables a parent to make an ultimate sacrifice for the sake of their child? Is this a normal or usual relationship? Would any parent be willing to make this sacrifice or does this require a special circumstance or balance between the child and the parent? Is this more likely to be the case where the parent is single with children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Stardom comes with a price as both Maggie and Will discover. What is the highest price of fame? What other issues come from being a star caliber personality, whether it is through athletics or performing arts? How can someone in either of these categories minimize the effects their stardom will have on relationships, privacy, living conditions, etc?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)