|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets the boys at the airport when they land?
2. When Phillip was killed, who fired first?
3. When Patrick asks her to stay the night for the first time, who does she involuntarily think of?
4. Where does Will meet Maggie?
5. How long were Patrick and Cornelia married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will is six that changes him forever?
2. How does Will handle his first meeting with Maggie?
3. What is it about Victoria Lansdowne that contributes to the fact that Will rapes her?
4. Why does Maggie make the decision to shoot Phillip?
5. How long, and in what capacity, does Maggie work for Barry?
6. What does Vannie do that is inappropriate and fosters Will's sexual indifference to women?
7. How does Will behave when he meets the manager of the Hammersmith Rangers, Allan Thomas?
8. What two events in the park change Will?
9. What attributes enable Will to play outstanding football in England until he leaves Fulham Road Primary School?
10. How does Barry respond to the songs that Maggie sings in her audition for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parents are often willing to make extreme sacrifices for their children. In this novel, what examples of this are found? What is the basis for the connection that enables a parent to make an ultimate sacrifice for the sake of their child? Is this a normal or usual relationship? Would any parent be willing to make this sacrifice or does this require a special circumstance or balance between the child and the parent? Is this more likely to be the case where the parent is single with children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Palmer was in a position to intervene on his brother's behalf on more than one occasion. Why is it that he didn't, according to the novel? If he had, what changes would have occurred? Which lives would have been affected had Palmer chosen to turn Will in when he found him in the hotel in Rio, for example? How might this have impacted Will's life and Palmer as well?
Essay Topic 3
Insanity is a plea often used in the court system. What qualifies as an insanity defense? Could Maggie have claimed temporary insanity as a defense in the killing of Patrick or Will? If so, why? How is the defense preferable for the person convicted? Compare a guilty verdict to a guilty verdict by reason of insanity? What are the similarities and what are the differences? How might Will have used this defense had he been required to for Palmer's murder or for the attempted murder of Maggie and her children?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)