Prologue: Chapters 1-2
• Maggie Bradford lies under the front porch of her home near West Point.
• She covers the mouth of her three year old daughter Jennie, whispering comforting phrases.
• She can hear her husband Phillip in the house above her, rampaging from room to room.
• She begs Jennie to be brave and above all to be quiet and the young girl wets herself in fear.
• Maggie holds her close, going over every avenue of escape in her mind and knowing they will all fail.
• Deep down, she knows that if he finds them, he will kill them.
• This is his worst episode of rage and insanity yet.
• She can hardly recognize him as the man that she married.
• Phillip, who is a Math teacher at West Point has many guns in the house and she has good reason to fear him.
• He presents himself as an officer...
This section contains 4,279 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)