|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military did Katherine Goble Johnson's second husband serve in?
2. Why was it a challenge for black boys to enter into the All-American Soap Box Derby?
3. What made white computers laugh at Mary Jackson?
4. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson unable to go to the editorial meetings?
5. Why did Dorothy Vaughan believe the West Computers would need to learn to use the electronic computers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Katherine Goble Johnson eat at her desk when she worked in the Flight Research Division?
2. Why did Melvin Butler fail to inform the engineering staff that James Williams was black?
3. What happened at Moton High School that drew them into the Brown v. Board of Education case?
4. What was Mary Jackson's reaction the first time she walked into Hampton High School to take engineering classes?
5. Why did NASA move the space program to Houston?
6. What made the theoretical group an especially good place for women to work?
7. Why did Mary Jackson think it was important for her son to participate in the soap box derby?
8. Why did the East Computing girls laugh at Mary Jackson when she asked them where the bathroom was?
9. How did black families handle the closing of schools in Prince Edward due to defunding by segregationists?
10. How did the disbanding of West Area Computing affect Dorothy Vaughan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shetterly makes a case for historical events affecting the opportunities made available to African Americans and women in mathematics and science. Write an essay describing and discussing the ways in which the events occurring in the world created these opportunities. Why was it necessary to hire African American women at Langley? What demands were placed on the researchers at Langley that required additional employees? How did the civil rights movement affect the hiring and advancement of black women at Langley?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing advances in aeronautics to advances in the civil rights movement. How do the two interconnect? Do the two advance at the same rate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shetterly dedicates an entire chapter to Mary Jackson’s son entering a soap box derby. Write an essay explaining the purpose of this chapter. How does the chapter relate to the themes of the book? What information about the individuals focused on does Shetterly communicate through this chapter? What information does the chapter communicate about racial relations during the time period?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)