|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mary Jackson see her son's opportunity to build a soap box derby car?
2. What was Katherine Goble Johnson's relationship with her white male coworkers like?
3. Why was it difficult for Mary Jackson to attend engineering classes at Hampton High School?
4. Why was there sometimes confusion over Katherine Goble Johnson's race?
5. Besides fearing an attack, what bothered Americans about Russia launching Sputnik?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson warned not to ask for a transfer to an engineering group when she started working at Langley?
2. Why did Mary Jackson think it was important for her son to participate in the soap box derby?
3. Why did Katherine and Jimmy Goble have to stay with relatives when they attended Jimmy's sister's wedding?
4. Why did the talk that Mary Jackson and Emma Jean gave to a group of girls have such a great impact on the girls?
5. What made the theoretical group an especially good place for women to work?
6. How did the governor of Virginia respond to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling and what was the result?
7. Why did Katherine Goble Johnson decide not to let the engineer who walked away from her when she sat at a desk bother her?
8. Why did the East Computing girls laugh at Mary Jackson when she asked them where the bathroom was?
9. How did the disbanding of West Area Computing affect Dorothy Vaughan?
10. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson prohibited from attending the editorial meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shetterly writes that black Americans often put limitations on themselves. What does Shetterly mean by this? What limitations did black Americans place on themselves? What was the cause? How did some of the characters in Hidden Figures fight against this self-limitation?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Shetterly’s motive for writing Hidden Figures. What does she hope to accomplish with this book? How does she want the world to see the black women who worked as human computers? What is the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Shetterly writes about how the area surrounding Langley Research Center affected those working at Langley. Write an essay describing the area and the way it impacted lives of African Americans living and working in the area. What was the area like? What housing was available to African Americans? How did being located in a segregated area affect Langley Research Center?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)