|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jimmy Goble work when he and Katherine moved to Newsome Park?
2. What did Executive Order 10925, signed by President Kennedy, call for?
3. In what year was East Computing disbanded?
4. Why did Dorothy Vaughan believe the West Computers would need to learn to use the electronic computers?
5. What does NASA stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Moton High School that drew them into the Brown v. Board of Education case?
2. In the 1950s, what made Dorothy Vaughan believe that the nature of the computers' jobs would be changing?
3. Why did the talk that Mary Jackson and Emma Jean gave to a group of girls have such a great impact on the girls?
4. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson prohibited from attending the editorial meetings?
5. Why did Dorothy Lee regret agreeing with a reporter when she said that women had to act like ladies in the workplace?
6. Why did Mary Jackson think it was important for her son to participate in the soap box derby?
7. What made the theoretical group an especially good place for women to work?
8. What was one major change that occurred when NACA became NASA?
9. Why did the East Computing girls laugh at Mary Jackson when she asked them where the bathroom was?
10. Why was the U.S. Army called to a school in Little Rock, Arkansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the concept of the “Double V.” What did African American leaders mean by this term? In what ways were African American soldiers particularly affected by the Double V? How did the Double V affect African Americans working at Langley?
Essay Topic 2
Shetterly makes a case for historical events affecting the opportunities made available to African Americans and women in mathematics and science. Write an essay describing and discussing the ways in which the events occurring in the world created these opportunities. Why was it necessary to hire African American women at Langley? What demands were placed on the researchers at Langley that required additional employees? How did the civil rights movement affect the hiring and advancement of black women at Langley?
Essay Topic 3
Shetterly indicates that Langley was something of a social experiment in terms of integration. Write an essay describing the gradual integration of black employees into the general workforce of Langley. How did the work of the black women computers help to integrate Langley? What part did the attitudes of progressive white employees play in the integration of Langley? What changes in the outside world impacted integration at Langley?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)