|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was West Computing's section head when Dorothy Vaughan first came to Langley?
2. Who hid the "colored computers" sign from the cafeteria?
3. Who was Matilda West, the black employee who was fired for disloyalty, related to?
4. What trial was Langley drawn into because of a suspected connection to one of the employees there?
5. Where did Mary Jackson work immediately after her first year of teaching.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Jim Crow laws make public transportation difficult for both blacks and whites in Newport News?
2. How did Dorothy Vaughan become Head of West Computing?
3. How did Shetterly's childhood affect the way she thought of blacks working in science, math, and engineering?
4. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
5. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
6. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
7. What did some supervisors at Langley do to encourage talented female computers to remain on the job?
8. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
9. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
10. Why did Dorothy Vaughan work in the laundry at Camp Pickett in the summers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and discussing the objections civil rights leaders had to the space program. What problems did they see with the space program? How did the space program relate to racial inequalities?
Essay Topic 2
Women working at Langley were subjected to gender stereotypes that influenced the way that the men they worked with treated them. Write an essay discussing the gender stereotypes that were in play at the time and how those stereotypes affected the women who worked at Langley. How did their male coworkers feel about the work the women did? How did the stereotypes affect women’s possibilities for advancing in their careers?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the concept of the “Double V.” What did African American leaders mean by this term? In what ways were African American soldiers particularly affected by the Double V? How did the Double V affect African Americans working at Langley?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)