|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the NAACP file a lawsuit against Booker T. Washington High School in Virginia?
2. What was the name of Katherine Goble Johnson's first husband?
3. What oath did Dorothy Vaughan have to take upon beginning her job at Langley?
4. What nickname did Hampton, Virginia give itself in 1962?
5. Where did Mary Jackson attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were employees of NACA warned not to speak of their work outside the office during World War II?
2. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
3. Why did William Claytor create special classes just for Katherine Goble Johnson?
4. What observation did black leaders make concerning the events occurring in Europe during World War II?
5. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
6. What did some supervisors at Langley do to encourage talented female computers to remain on the job?
7. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
8. Why was it so difficult for Dorothy Vaughan to leave Farmville for her new job at Langley?
9. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
10. Why did Joshua Coleman rent a house for his wife and children that was 125 miles away from their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katherine Goble Johnson is an important figure in the book. How does Katherine’s story help the author to explore the themes of gender stereotypes, segregation, and discrimination? How did Katherine’s outlook help her to overcome discrimination? What personality traits did Katherine possess that helped her to succeed in a male-dominated workplace?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Shetterly’s motives for writing Hidden Figures. What does she mean when she says that past events can help shed light on the modern world? What insight does Hidden Figures provide about the modern world?
Essay Topic 3
Shetterly writes about how the area surrounding Langley Research Center affected those working at Langley. Write an essay describing the area and the way it impacted lives of African Americans living and working in the area. What was the area like? What housing was available to African Americans? How did being located in a segregated area affect Langley Research Center?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)