|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trial was Langley drawn into because of a suspected connection to one of the employees there?
2. In what year did the first female computing pool begin working at Langley?
3. What part of Langley did the black computers work in?
4. At the time when black women began working at Langley, what was considered the highest level of employment a black woman could achieve?
5. How much did Dorothy Vaughan pay for her housing when she first started working at Langley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Depression affect black teachers like Dorothy Vaughan?
2. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
3. Why were Howard and Dorothy Vaughan an uneven match for one another?
4. How did the Jim Crow laws make public transportation difficult for both blacks and whites in Newport News?
5. Why were employees of NACA warned not to speak of their work outside the office during World War II?
6. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
7. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
8. What observation did black leaders make concerning the events occurring in Europe during World War II?
9. What did Mary Winston Jackson try to teach the girls in the Girl Scouts troop that she lead?
10. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing advances in aeronautics to advances in the civil rights movement. How do the two interconnect? Do the two advance at the same rate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the concept of the “Double V.” What did African American leaders mean by this term? In what ways were African American soldiers particularly affected by the Double V? How did the Double V affect African Americans working at Langley?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the impact of the Rosenberg trial on employees at Langley. Why was Langley drawn into the trial? How did the trial affect interactions between employees? What was the impact on racial relations within Langley?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)