|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Christine Mann Darden's job when she was in high school?
(a) She worked as maid in a hotel.
(b) She worked in a laundromat.
(c) She worked in an antiques store at a hotel.
(d) She worked in a library.
2. What part of the Mercury Project was the team that Dorothy Lee worked on responsible for?
(a) The trajectory of the flight.
(b) The design of the spacecraft.
(c) The orbital path.
(d) The rockets.
3. What did Katherine's analysis of an accident involving a small plane lead to?
(a) Changes to the wing structure of airplanes.
(b) A change in pilot procedures for landing an airplane.
(c) Changes in air traffic regulations to avoid wake turbulence accidents.
(d) A change in the design of small airplanes.
4. How did the engineers in Flight Research and PARD learn about space flight?
(a) They attended courses at Hampton Institute.
(b) They brought in lead scientists from around the world.
(c) They started a self-education lecture series.
(d) They used information the CIA had stolen from Russia.
5. What did James Williams have to do on his first day of work at Langley?
(a) Prove that he had an engineering degree.
(b) Convince the guards at the gate that he was an engineer.
(c) Take a test to prove he had the necessary skills to work there.
(d) Deal with a mechanic who sabotaged his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Senator Byrd's movement against integration?
2. Which group at Langley had already developed expertise in rockets when the space race began?
3. What innovation was added to the wind tunnels to make them more closely simulate flight conditions?
4. What does NASA stand for?
5. What branch of the military did Katherine Goble Johnson's second husband serve in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that allowed Katherine Goble Johnson the opportunity to publish her first research report?
2. What was one major change that occurred when NACA became NASA?
3. Why did Dorothy Lee regret agreeing with a reporter when she said that women had to act like ladies in the workplace?
4. What did Americans fear when Russia launched Sputnik?
5. How did the disbanding of West Area Computing affect Dorothy Vaughan?
6. Why did Mary Jackson think it was important for her son to participate in the soap box derby?
7. Why did the East Computing girls laugh at Mary Jackson when she asked them where the bathroom was?
8. Why did Katherine Goble Johnson decide not to let the engineer who walked away from her when she sat at a desk bother her?
9. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson prohibited from attending the editorial meetings?
10. What happened at Moton High School that drew them into the Brown v. Board of Education case?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)