|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instruction did Katherine Goble Johnson give her daughters' principal after her husband died?
(a) Not to give her daughters any special treatment.
(b) To go easy on her grieving daughters.
(c) To avoid talking about her husband's death.
(d) To allow Dorothy Vaughan to pick the children up from school.
2. What was the name of America's first manned space project?
(b) Project Mercury.
(d) Project Scout.
3. In what year did NACA become NASA?
4. Where did Katherine Goble Johnson meet her second husband?
(a) At Langley.
(b) At a basketball game.
(c) At a school board meeting.
(d) At a church choir practice.
5. What rumor about the astronauts spread around the Hampton Institute campus?
(a) That they were racist.
(b) That there would be a black man on the first space flight.
(c) That the astronauts were contributing to the students' organizing for social change.
(d) That the astronauts were going to join the lunch counter sit ins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does NASA stand for?
2. How did Mary Jackson see her son's opportunity to build a soap box derby car?
3. What did Katherine's analysis of an accident involving a small plane lead to?
4. What percentage of the world's population did NACA's chief legal counsel say was "colored" in a memo written in 1956?
5. Who was the first human in space?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there confusion about which room to place Katherine Goble Johnson's mother in when she was in the hospital?
2. What happened that allowed Katherine Goble Johnson the opportunity to publish her first research report?
3. Why did Katherine Goble Johnson decide not to let the engineer who walked away from her when she sat at a desk bother her?
4. What was Mary Jackson's reaction the first time she walked into Hampton High School to take engineering classes?
5. Why did NASA move the space program to Houston?
6. What happened at Moton High School that drew them into the Brown v. Board of Education case?
7. Why was the U.S. Army called to a school in Little Rock, Arkansas?
8. Why did Mary Jackson think it was important for her son to participate in the soap box derby?
9. Why was there a push toward space for Americans after Russia launched Sputnik?
10. In the 1950s, what made Dorothy Vaughan believe that the nature of the computers' jobs would be changing?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)