|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Katherine Goble Johnson when she found out about the jobs available at Langley for black women?
(a) At the laundromat.
(b) At a wedding.
(c) In a bus station.
(d) At church.
2. Why did Mary Jackson's calculations come up wrong when she was given an assignment by the chief of the Compressibility Division?
(a) The equation she was asked to use was incorrect.
(b) He had given her the wrong numbers to use for the calculations.
(c) She had made a simple math error.
(d) There was an error made in the research phase.
3. What important research had the men in The Flight Research Division presented just weeks before Katherine Goble Johnson was sent to work there?
(a) Research on space flight.
(b) Research on slotted wind tunnel walls.
(c) Research on the control of fighter planes.
(d) Research on air turbulence.
4. Where was Central High School, the white school that was in the news because black students were trying to integrate it?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
(c) Austin, Texas.
(d) Little Rock, Arkansas.
5. Why did Langley employees hold meetings and social gatherings in their own Activities Building in the 1950s?
(a) Because it was the nicest building in the area.
(b) Because it was the only building in the area large enough to accommodate them.
(c) So they could avoid trying to find a public building that would allow a racially mixed group.
(d) Because they did not want people outside the laboratory to hear what they talked about.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did NACA become NASA?
2. Besides fearing an attack, what bothered Americans about Russia launching Sputnik?
3. How did the engineers in Flight Research and PARD learn about space flight?
4. Why did Dorothy Vaughan believe the West Computers would need to learn to use the electronic computers?
5. What did Executive Order 10925, signed by President Kennedy, call for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the theoretical group an especially good place for women to work?
2. How did the governor of Virginia respond to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling and what was the result?
3. Why did the East Computing girls laugh at Mary Jackson when she asked them where the bathroom was?
4. What was Mary Jackson's reaction the first time she walked into Hampton High School to take engineering classes?
5. Why was there confusion about which room to place Katherine Goble Johnson's mother in when she was in the hospital?
6. How did the disbanding of West Area Computing affect Dorothy Vaughan?
7. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson warned not to ask for a transfer to an engineering group when she started working at Langley?
8. Why was Katherine Goble Johnson prohibited from attending the editorial meetings?
9. Why did NASA move the space program to Houston?
10. In the 1950s, what made Dorothy Vaughan believe that the nature of the computers' jobs would be changing?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)