|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor about the astronauts spread around the Hampton Institute campus?
(a) That there would be a black man on the first space flight.
(b) That they were racist.
(c) That the astronauts were contributing to the students' organizing for social change.
(d) That the astronauts were going to join the lunch counter sit ins.
2. Who coauthored Mary Jackson's first report?
(a) Dorothy Vaughan.
(b) R.T. Jones.
(c) Katherine Goble Johnson.
(d) Kaz Czarnecki.
3. Why was it a challenge for black boys to enter into the All-American Soap Box Derby?
(a) They had to have an engineer sponsor them.
(b) It was hard for black families to hear about the contest in the first place.
(c) They had to get special permission from their science teachers.
(d) Some area would not let black boys enter the contest.
4. What did Langley's Analysis and Computation Division do?
(a) Integrated black and white female computers into one group.
(b) Introduced male computers to Langley.
(c) Caused the human computers at Langley to lose their jobs.
(d) Separated the black women computers from their engineering groups.
5. What instruction did Katherine Goble Johnson give her daughters' principal after her husband died?
(a) To allow Dorothy Vaughan to pick the children up from school.
(b) Not to give her daughters any special treatment.
(c) To avoid talking about her husband's death.
(d) To go easy on her grieving daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dorothy Vaughan go to speak with the division chief of The Flight Research Division?
2. What country were Americans concerned about their students being able to compete with?
3. Who were the Greensboro Four?
4. In what Langley building did much of the research surrounding spaceflight take place?
5. What Supreme Court announcement did Katherine Goble Johnson discuss with her male coworkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Katherine Goble Johnson decide not to let the engineer who walked away from her when she sat at a desk bother her?
2. Why did NASA move the space program to Houston?
3. How did the governor of Virginia respond to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling and what was the result?
4. Why was there a push toward space for Americans after Russia launched Sputnik?
5. Why did Dorothy Lee regret agreeing with a reporter when she said that women had to act like ladies in the workplace?
6. What made the theoretical group an especially good place for women to work?
7. Why did the talk that Mary Jackson and Emma Jean gave to a group of girls have such a great impact on the girls?
8. Why was the U.S. Army called to a school in Little Rock, Arkansas?
9. Why did Melvin Butler fail to inform the engineering staff that James Williams was black?
10. Why was there confusion about which room to place Katherine Goble Johnson's mother in when she was in the hospital?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)