|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Dorothy Vaughan get from her hometown to her new job at Langley?
(a) She took a Greyhound bus.
(b) She walked.
(c) Her husband drove her.
(d) She drove her car.
2. What was Howard Vaughan's job?
(a) He worked in a shipyard.
(b) He was an itinerant bellman.
(c) He was a custodian at the high school.
(d) He was a teacher.
3. How did Leonard Vaughan and the other black children ensure they would get the pond to themselves?
(a) Put a fake "colored only" sign on the shore.
(b) Get their first.
(c) Wait for the white children to leave.
(d) Intimidate the white children.
4. What position was Dorothy Vaughan promoted to under Margery Hannah?
(b) Shift supervisor.
(d) Head computer.
5. What was the original name of NASA?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was special for the Vaughans and Manns about vacationing at Log Cabin Beach?
2. Who was the head computer when Langley began hiring black women?
3. Why did the NAACP file a lawsuit against Booker T. Washington High School in Virginia?
4. How were black people expected to enter a bus due to segregation laws?
5. What was Dorothy Vaughan's connection to Katherine Goble Johnson before working at Langley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shetterly want for the women she writes about in Hidden Figures?
2. Why did Dorothy Vaughan work in the laundry at Camp Pickett in the summers?
3. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
4. How did Dorothy Vaughan become Head of West Computing?
5. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
6. How did Shetterly's childhood affect the way she thought of blacks working in science, math, and engineering?
7. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
8. How did the Depression affect black teachers like Dorothy Vaughan?
9. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
10. Why was Margery Hannah considered a pariah by some of her white coworkers?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)