|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the professor that mentored Katherine Goble Johnson while she was in college?
(a) John Henrik Clarke.
(b) W.E.B. DuBois.
(c) William Claytor.
(d) Asa Phillips Randolph.
2. In 1970, what percentage of engineers in America were black?
3. How much did Dorothy Vaughan pay for her housing when she first started working at Langley?
(a) $50 per month.
(b) $10 per week.
(c) $5 per week.
4. What position was Dorothy Vaughan promoted to under Margery Hannah?
(a) Head computer.
(d) Shift supervisor.
5. What did the personnel officer know would be necessary if he were to hire black women to work at Langley?
(a) A separate place for them to work.
(b) Approval from the white employees.
(c) A cafeteria for black employees only.
(d) Added security.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dorothy Vaughan find a place to stay when she arrived in Newport News?
2. What event made Dorothy Vaughan decide that going to graduate school would be economically irresponsible?
3. What was the name of the group of black pilots whose exploits were closely followed by the black community during World War II?
4. What did the researchers at Langley use to gain test results without the dangers of test flights?
5. Who hid the "colored computers" sign from the cafeteria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
2. What observation did black leaders make concerning the events occurring in Europe during World War II?
3. Why was Margery Hannah considered a pariah by some of her white coworkers?
4. Why was it necessary for Melvin Butler to begin hiring black women as computers?
5. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
6. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
7. How did the Depression affect black teachers like Dorothy Vaughan?
8. What did some supervisors at Langley do to encourage talented female computers to remain on the job?
9. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
10. How did designating women as "subprofessionals" help the laboratory?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)