|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the NAACP file a lawsuit against Booker T. Washington High School in Virginia?
(a) They were paying black teachers less than white teachers.
(b) They would not hire black teachers.
(c) They were not allowing black students to attend classes there.
(d) They were not offering black students the same opportunities as white students.
2. What was Shetterly's father's job at Langley?
(a) He was a mathematician.
(b) He was a custodian.
(c) He was a climate scientist.
(d) He was an engineer.
3. What song did Mary Jackson tell her Girl Scouts that they would never sing again after she thought about the stereotypes the song promoted?
(a) Pick a Bale of Cotton.
(b) Early in the Mornin'.
(c) No More My Lawd.
(d) Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
4. How many women, both black and white, were working as computers when Dorothy Vaughan started at Langley?
5. What did the local living around Langley Research Center call the people who worked at Langley because of their eccentric behavior?
(a) NACA nuts.
(b) NACA nerds.
(c) Space cadets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the personnel officer at Langley Research Center when Dorothy Vaughan began working there?
2. Where did Mary Jackson attend college?
3. Which Executive Order desegregated the military?
4. What laws were being used in an attempt to dismantle black communities after World War II ended?
5. What did Dorothy Vaughan do in the summer of 1944 to make her situation more permanent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were employees of NACA warned not to speak of their work outside the office during World War II?
2. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
3. What does Shetterly want for the women she writes about in Hidden Figures?
4. Why did Miriam Mann object to the "colored computers" sign in the cafeteria?
5. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
6. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
7. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
8. How did designating women as "subprofessionals" help the laboratory?
9. What was the attitude of the male engineers when a human computer made an error?
10. Why did Dorothy Vaughan work in the laundry at Camp Pickett in the summers?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)