|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1970, what percentage of engineers in America were black?
2. What did Langley do in hopes of turning the computers into junior engineers?
(a) Paid for computers to go back to college.
(b) Sponsored a course in engineering physics.
(c) Required them to take classes at the local college.
(d) Paired them up with engineers who acted as mentors.
3. Where did Dorothy Vaughan and her husband live after marrying?
(a) Newport News.
(b) Little Rock.
4. What trial was Langley drawn into because of a suspected connection to one of the employees there?
(a) Roe v. Wade.
(b) Brown v. Board of Education.
(c) The Rosenberg trial.
(d) The Nuremberg trial.
5. What were the segregation laws called?
(a) Racial Separation laws.
(b) Jim Crow laws.
(c) Uncle Tom laws.
(d) Colored Workers laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the original name of NASA?
2. Who did Dorothy Vaughan think the notice she saw on a bulletin board looking for mathematicians was meant for?
3. Why did the NAACP file a lawsuit against Booker T. Washington High School in Virginia?
4. What neighborhood near Langley did Dorothy Vaughan eventually permanently settle in?
5. How did Shetterly know the woman that her father told her was a human computer, thus sparking her interest in the topic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Howard Vaughan refuse to move from Farmville to live with his family in Newport News?
2. How did Dorothy Vaughan become Head of West Computing?
3. What was the goal of NACA during World War II?
4. Why did Dorothy Vaughan work in the laundry at Camp Pickett in the summers?
5. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
6. Why was Margery Hannah considered a pariah by some of her white coworkers?
7. Why did Joshua Coleman rent a house for his wife and children that was 125 miles away from their home?
8. What does Shetterly want for the women she writes about in Hidden Figures?
9. Why was it so difficult for Dorothy Vaughan to leave Farmville for her new job at Langley?
10. How did Shetterly's childhood affect the way she thought of blacks working in science, math, and engineering?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)