|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song did Mary Jackson tell her Girl Scouts that they would never sing again after she thought about the stereotypes the song promoted?
(a) Pick a Bale of Cotton.
(b) Early in the Mornin'.
(c) Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
(d) No More My Lawd.
2. What was Dorothy Vaughan's summer job before she began working at Langley?
(a) She did laundry at Camp Pickett.
(b) She worked at the USO.
(c) She was a bookkeeper for a hotel.
(d) She was a waitress.
3. How many more children did Dorothy and Howard Vaughan have after Dorothy moved to Newport News?
4. How old was Katherine Goble Johnson when she entered college?
5. Why did the NAACP file a lawsuit against Booker T. Washington High School in Virginia?
(a) They would not hire black teachers.
(b) They were not allowing black students to attend classes there.
(c) They were paying black teachers less than white teachers.
(d) They were not offering black students the same opportunities as white students.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time when black women began working at Langley, what was considered the highest level of employment a black woman could achieve?
2. What position was Dorothy Vaughan promoted to under Margery Hannah?
3. What was Asa Phillip Randolph's position when he threatened to lead a march on Washington if war jobs were not opened to blacks?
4. Where did Dorothy Vaughan and her husband live after marrying?
5. What was the name of Katherine Goble Johnson's first husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did designating women as "subprofessionals" help the laboratory?
2. Why did William Claytor create special classes just for Katherine Goble Johnson?
3. Why did millions of American women lose their jobs after V-J Day?
4. How did Dorothy Vaughan become Head of West Computing?
5. How did the white professors and students treat Katherine Goble Johnson when she was one of three students chosen to integrate West Virginia University?
6. Why was it necessary for Melvin Butler to begin hiring black women as computers?
7. Why were Howard and Dorothy Vaughan an uneven match for one another?
8. What did Mary Winston Jackson try to teach the girls in the Girl Scouts troop that she lead?
9. Why was Dorothy Vaughan taking a risk when she decided to sign a lease on a house in Newport News?
10. Why did Joshua Coleman rent a house for his wife and children that was 125 miles away from their home?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)