|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Langley employees hold meetings and social gatherings in their own Activities Building in the 1950s?
(a) Because it was the nicest building in the area.
(b) So they could avoid trying to find a public building that would allow a racially mixed group.
(c) Because they did not want people outside the laboratory to hear what they talked about.
(d) Because it was the only building in the area large enough to accommodate them.
2. What important research had the men in The Flight Research Division presented just weeks before Katherine Goble Johnson was sent to work there?
(a) Research on space flight.
(b) Research on air turbulence.
(c) Research on slotted wind tunnel walls.
(d) Research on the control of fighter planes.
3. Where was Katherine Goble Johnson when she found out about the jobs available at Langley for black women?
(a) In a bus station.
(b) At the laundromat.
(c) At church.
(d) At a wedding.
4. In what year was East Computing disbanded?
5. Why did Dorothy Vaughan go to speak with the division chief of The Flight Research Division?
(a) To request a raise.
(b) To recommend that he hire Mary Jackson.
(c) To clarify Katherine Goble Johnson's position as a member of West Computing or as a permanent member of Flight Research.
(d) To discuss the way Katherine Goble Johnson had been treated by the male engineers.
6. Who was branch chief that offered James Williams a place on his team?
(b) R.T. Jones.
(c) John Becker.
7. How did President Eisenhower want America's first spaceflight to be perceived?
(a) As a peaceful mission.
(b) As an act of military strength.
(c) As a show of America's superior technology.
(d) As a secretive mission.
8. What does NASA stand for?
(a) National Aero Space Alliance.
(b) New Airplane Science Administration.
(c) National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
(d) Newport Aeronautical and Science Administration.
9. Where was the secret bunker for politicians to be evacuated to in the event of a Russian attack?
(a) Under the Washington Monument.
(b) Under Hampton High School.
(c) Under the Langley Research Center.
(d) Under the Greenbrier hotel.
10. What was the name of Mary Jackson's son who entered into the soap box derby race?
11. What was the purpose of the document titled "Introduction to Outer Space" that was prepared by President Eisenhower's Advisory Committee on Science?
(a) The document was used in high schools to teach space science.
(b) The document was used as a recruiting tool for NASA.
(c) The document was used as a teaching tool for new engineers.
(d) The document explained spaceflight in layman's terms to make the case that a space program was in America's best interests.
12. What was the name of Senator Byrd's movement against integration?
(a) School Safety.
(b) Massive Resistance.
(c) White Power.
(d) Rightful Resistance.
13. How many students were killed in the bus crash at Moton High School?
14. How did Dorothy Vaughan reinvent her career after the Analysis and Computation Division was created?
(a) She became a computer programmer.
(b) She went back to teaching school.
(c) She became the head of the division.
(d) She became an engineer.
15. How long were schools in Prince Edward closed due to defunding to avoid segregation?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose work was sabotaged by a mechanic?
2. What innovation was added to the wind tunnels to make them more closely simulate flight conditions?
3. In what year did NACA become NASA?
4. Why did Dorothy Hoover leave NACA?
5. What rumor about the astronauts spread around the Hampton Institute campus?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)