|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Katherine's analysis of an accident involving a small plane lead to?
(a) Changes in air traffic regulations to avoid wake turbulence accidents.
(b) A change in the design of small airplanes.
(c) Changes to the wing structure of airplanes.
(d) A change in pilot procedures for landing an airplane.
2. What was the name of the first satellite the Russian's put into orbit?
(c) Red One.
3. Why did Langley employees hold meetings and social gatherings in their own Activities Building in the 1950s?
(a) Because they did not want people outside the laboratory to hear what they talked about.
(b) Because it was the nicest building in the area.
(c) So they could avoid trying to find a public building that would allow a racially mixed group.
(d) Because it was the only building in the area large enough to accommodate them.
4. How did President Eisenhower want America's first spaceflight to be perceived?
(a) As a peaceful mission.
(b) As a show of America's superior technology.
(c) As a secretive mission.
(d) As an act of military strength.
5. What was the first machine used at Langley to perform computations?
(a) An IBM computer.
(b) An Apple computer.
(c) An abacus.
(d) A Bell calculator.
6. Besides fearing an attack, what bothered Americans about Russia launching Sputnik?
(a) Americans were humiliated that Russia had beat them to space.
(b) Americans were only weeks away from launching a manned spacecraft.
(c) Americans believed Russia was using the satellite to monitor their communications.
(d) Americans believed Russia had stolen plans for its satellite from America.
7. Who was the first human in space?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Alan Shepard.
(c) Yuri Gagarin.
(d) Neil Armstrong.
8. Why did Dorothy Vaughan believe the West Computers would need to learn to use the electronic computers?
(a) The electronic computers would eventually replace them, so they would need to be able to use them to keep their jobs.
(b) The East Computers would take their jobs if they did not learn to use them.
(c) Their male coworkers would think they were not capable if they did not learn to use them.
(d) Their male coworkers would not learn to use the electronic computers.
9. What Supreme Court announcement did Katherine Goble Johnson discuss with her male coworkers?
(a) Roe v. Wade.
(b) The Rosenberg Trial.
(c) Brown v. Board of Education.
(d) Plessy v. Ferguson.
10. What percentage of the world's population did NACA's chief legal counsel say was "colored" in a memo written in 1956?
11. How did Dorothy Vaughan reinvent her career after the Analysis and Computation Division was created?
(a) She became a computer programmer.
(b) She went back to teaching school.
(c) She became an engineer.
(d) She became the head of the division.
12. What was Katherine Goble Johnson's relationship with her white male coworkers like?
(a) She was comfortable with them.
(b) She was never able to be herself around them.
(c) They overworked her.
(d) They treated her as though she were beneath them.
13. What position was Dorothy Lee subbing in when she impressed the branch chief with her math skills and earned her permanent position in his branch?
14. Where did NASA move the space program to in anticipation of the large number of people needed to accomplish the manned orbital flight?
(a) Kennedy Space Center.
15. How had Katherine Goble Johnson's father taught her to treat other people?
(a) As inferior to herself.
(b) As superiors to herself.
(c) As equals.
(d) As strangers to be wary of.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the students in Christine Mann Darden's high school worry about when they heard the Brown v. Board of Education decision?
2. Where was Katherine Goble Johnson when she found out about the jobs available at Langley for black women?
3. What was Kaz's response when Mary told him about being laughed at by the white computers?
4. What innovation was added to the wind tunnels to make them more closely simulate flight conditions?
5. How old was Christine Mann Darden when she started the second grade?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)