|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the singer that Dorothy Vaughan took her children to see at Ogden Hall?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Marian Anderson.
(c) Billie Holiday.
(d) Ellah Fitzgerald.
2. What was Asa Phillip Randolph's position when he threatened to lead a march on Washington if war jobs were not opened to blacks?
(c) Head of the largest black labor union.
(d) Head of NAACP.
3. What was Shetterly's father's job at Langley?
(a) He was a climate scientist.
(b) He was a custodian.
(c) He was an engineer.
(d) He was a mathematician.
4. How many more children did Dorothy and Howard Vaughan have after Dorothy moved to Newport News?
5. What was the original name of NASA?
6. How much was Dorothy Vaughan offered in pay to work at Langley in comparison to her teaching job?
(a) The same amount.
(b) Ten cents more per hour.
(c) 50 percent more per hour.
(d) Twice as much.
7. What was Howard Vaughan's job?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He worked in a shipyard.
(c) He was a custodian at the high school.
(d) He was an itinerant bellman.
8. What were the employees at Langley warned against doing outside of the workplace during World War II?
(a) Socializing with people of different races.
(b) Telling people there were black women working at Langley.
(c) Letting anyone know where they worked.
(d) Talking about their work.
9. Who was the man that was promoted to head the Stability Analysis section despite the fact that he had not finished college?
(a) Thomas Byrdsong.
(b) Melvin Butler.
(c) Harry Byrd.
(d) R.T. Jones.
10. What part of Langley did the black computers work in?
(a) North Area.
(b) West Area.
(c) South Area.
(d) East Area.
11. What effect did V-J day have on the workforce in the area surrounding Langley?
(a) There was a need to hire additional workers.
(b) Many workers were laid off.
(c) Employers began paying their employees more.
(d) Employers began paying their employees less.
12. What was the name of the pilot who broke the sound barrier?
(a) Thomas Byrdsong.
(b) Harry Byrd.
(c) Chuck Yeager.
(d) John Glenn.
13. What nickname did Hampton, Virginia give itself in 1962?
(a) Moon Landing II.
(b) Astronaut Academy, USA.
(c) NASA Town.
(d) Spacetown, USA.
14. What was the name of the group of black pilots whose exploits were closely followed by the black community during World War II?
(a) The African American Airmen.
(b) The Black Panthers.
(c) The Negro Air Patrol.
(d) The Tuskegee Airmen.
15. In 1970, what percentage of engineers in America were black?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "X" in the designation of an airplane signify?
2. What did the personnel officer know would be necessary if he were to hire black women to work at Langley?
3. What oath did Dorothy Vaughan have to take upon beginning her job at Langley?
4. What was the name of Katherine Goble Johnson's first husband?
5. What did Dorothy Vaughan do in the summer of 1944 to make her situation more permanent?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)