|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dorothy Vaughan and her husband live after marrying?
(c) Little Rock.
(d) Newport News.
2. What oath did Dorothy Vaughan have to take upon beginning her job at Langley?
(a) The NACA Loyalty oath.
(b) The Mathematician's oath.
(c) The U.S. Civil Service oath.
(d) The Segregated Workplace oath.
3. What was the name of the pilot who broke the sound barrier?
(a) Thomas Byrdsong.
(b) Harry Byrd.
(c) Chuck Yeager.
(d) John Glenn.
4. What part of Langley did the black computers work in?
(a) West Area.
(b) North Area.
(c) South Area.
(d) East Area.
5. What did the "X" in the designation of an airplane signify?
(a) That it was a fighter plane.
(b) That it was experimental.
(c) That it was a bomber.
(d) That it was a cargo plane.
6. What was the original name of NASA?
7. How did Shetterly know the woman that her father told her was a human computer, thus sparking her interest in the topic?
(a) The woman was her former babysitter.
(b) The woman was her mother's best friend.
(c) The woman was her former Sunday School teacher.
(d) The woman was her kindergarten teacher.
8. What neighborhood near Langley did Dorothy Vaughan eventually permanently settle in?
(a) Stuart Gardens.
(b) Copeland Park.
(c) Newsome Park.
(d) Aberdeen Gardens.
9. What did the researchers at Langley use to gain test results without the dangers of test flights?
(a) Wind tunnels.
(b) Unmanned aircrafts.
(c) Computer simulations.
(d) Ground models.
10. Who was the man that was promoted to head the Stability Analysis section despite the fact that he had not finished college?
(a) Melvin Butler.
(b) R.T. Jones.
(c) Thomas Byrdsong.
(d) Harry Byrd.
11. Who was Matilda West, the black employee who was fired for disloyalty, related to?
(a) Miriam Mann.
(b) Dorothy Vaughan.
(c) Katherine Goble Johnson.
(d) Mary Jackson.
12. What was special for the Vaughans and Manns about vacationing at Log Cabin Beach?
(a) Miriam and Dorothy could talk openly about their work.
(b) It was the only place they were able to socialize with one another.
(c) There were no "colored" signs.
(d) Blacks and whites vacationed together there without segregation laws.
13. What nickname did Hampton, Virginia give itself in 1962?
(a) Moon Landing II.
(b) Spacetown, USA.
(c) Astronaut Academy, USA.
(d) NASA Town.
14. Who was the singer that Dorothy Vaughan took her children to see at Ogden Hall?
(a) Ellah Fitzgerald.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Marian Anderson.
(d) Billie Holiday.
15. What did Dorothy Vaughan do in the summer of 1944 to make her situation more permanent?
(a) Became a member of the church she had been attending.
(b) Signed a contract with Langley.
(c) Divorced her husband.
(d) Signed a lease on a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Langley Research Center's newsletter?
2. Where did Mary Jackson work immediately after her first year of teaching.
3. What event caused the need for Langley to initially hire black women?
4. In what year did the first female computing pool begin working at Langley?
5. Where did Mary Jackson attend college?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)