|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the researchers at Langley use to gain test results without the dangers of test flights?
(a) Unmanned aircrafts.
(b) Computer simulations.
(c) Wind tunnels.
(d) Ground models.
2. What event caused the need for Langley to initially hire black women?
(a) The launch of Sputnik.
(b) The space race.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
3. What neighborhood near Langley did Dorothy Vaughan eventually permanently settle in?
(a) Newsome Park.
(b) Aberdeen Gardens.
(c) Copeland Park.
(d) Stuart Gardens.
4. In 1970, what percentage of engineers in America were black?
5. How many freedoms did President Roosevelt say that all men were entitled to in his 1941 State of the Union address?
6. Why did Dorothy Vaughan sometimes put dinner on the table for her children and then walk around the block before eating?
(a) To stay thin.
(b) To make sure they had enough to eat before she ate.
(c) To prevent herself from talking about her classified work.
(d) Because she did not want to take out the frustrations of her day on them.
7. What did the personnel officer know would be necessary if he were to hire black women to work at Langley?
(a) Approval from the white employees.
(b) Added security.
(c) A separate place for them to work.
(d) A cafeteria for black employees only.
8. In what year did the first female computing pool begin working at Langley?
9. Where did Mary Jackson attend college?
(a) Hampton Institute.
(b) Howard University.
(c) Virginia State University.
(d) Spelman College.
10. What part of Langley did the black computers work in?
(a) East Area.
(b) South Area.
(c) North Area.
(d) West Area.
11. What was special for the Vaughans and Manns about vacationing at Log Cabin Beach?
(a) There were no "colored" signs.
(b) It was the only place they were able to socialize with one another.
(c) Blacks and whites vacationed together there without segregation laws.
(d) Miriam and Dorothy could talk openly about their work.
12. What was Howard Vaughan's job?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He worked in a shipyard.
(c) He was a custodian at the high school.
(d) He was an itinerant bellman.
13. What oath did Dorothy Vaughan have to take upon beginning her job at Langley?
(a) The U.S. Civil Service oath.
(b) The NACA Loyalty oath.
(c) The Segregated Workplace oath.
(d) The Mathematician's oath.
14. What did black newspapers call the black soldiers who fought overseas during World War II?
(a) Black Yanks.
(b) Tan Yanks.
(c) Black Battalions.
(d) Tan Soldiers.
15. Who was West Computing's section head when Dorothy Vaughan first came to Langley?
(a) Virginia Tucker.
(b) Margery Hannah.
(c) Blanche Sponsler.
(d) Miriam Mann.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the local living around Langley Research Center call the people who worked at Langley because of their eccentric behavior?
2. What did Langley do in hopes of turning the computers into junior engineers?
3. Why did Mary Jackson return home after her first year as a teacher?
4. Who was the man that was promoted to head the Stability Analysis section despite the fact that he had not finished college?
5. How were black people expected to enter a bus due to segregation laws?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)