|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position was Dorothy Lee subbing in when she impressed the branch chief with her math skills and earned her permanent position in his branch?
2. What were the employees at Langley warned against doing outside of the workplace during World War II?
(a) Talking about their work.
(b) Telling people there were black women working at Langley.
(c) Socializing with people of different races.
(d) Letting anyone know where they worked.
3. What was special for the Vaughans and Manns about vacationing at Log Cabin Beach?
(a) It was the only place they were able to socialize with one another.
(b) Blacks and whites vacationed together there without segregation laws.
(c) There were no "colored" signs.
(d) Miriam and Dorothy could talk openly about their work.
4. What was the purpose of the document titled "Introduction to Outer Space" that was prepared by President Eisenhower's Advisory Committee on Science?
(a) The document was used as a teaching tool for new engineers.
(b) The document was used as a recruiting tool for NASA.
(c) The document was used in high schools to teach space science.
(d) The document explained spaceflight in layman's terms to make the case that a space program was in America's best interests.
5. Which of the following was a skill Dorothy Vaughan had to have to do her job as a supervisor well?
(a) The ability to match temperaments with groups.
(b) The ability to shrug off discriminatory remarks made by the East Computers.
(c) The ability to coddle the women under her.
(d) The ability to circumvent the management system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students were killed in the bus crash at Moton High School?
2. What state was Katherine Goble Johnson from?
3. What oath did Dorothy Vaughan have to take upon beginning her job at Langley?
4. In 1970, what percentage of engineers in America were black?
5. What was the name of the senator from Virginia who vehemently opposed the Fair Employment Practices Committee?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)