|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Langley employees hold meetings and social gatherings in their own Activities Building in the 1950s?
(a) Because it was the nicest building in the area.
(b) Because they did not want people outside the laboratory to hear what they talked about.
(c) So they could avoid trying to find a public building that would allow a racially mixed group.
(d) Because it was the only building in the area large enough to accommodate them.
2. How did President Eisenhower want America's first spaceflight to be perceived?
(a) As an act of military strength.
(b) As a peaceful mission.
(c) As a secretive mission.
(d) As a show of America's superior technology.
3. How did Dorothy Lee feel after agreeing with a report that women had to act like ladies in the workplace?
4. What was the purpose of the document titled "Introduction to Outer Space" that was prepared by President Eisenhower's Advisory Committee on Science?
(a) The document explained spaceflight in layman's terms to make the case that a space program was in America's best interests.
(b) The document was used in high schools to teach space science.
(c) The document was used as a teaching tool for new engineers.
(d) The document was used as a recruiting tool for NASA.
5. What did Katherine's analysis of an accident involving a small plane lead to?
(a) A change in the design of small airplanes.
(b) A change in pilot procedures for landing an airplane.
(c) Changes to the wing structure of airplanes.
(d) Changes in air traffic regulations to avoid wake turbulence accidents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Langley's Analysis and Computation Division do?
2. What did the U.S. government do to prevent black leaders like Josephine Baker and W.E.B. Du Bois from having an impact on relations with newly independent countries?
3. What was Asa Phillip Randolph's position when he threatened to lead a march on Washington if war jobs were not opened to blacks?
4. Who was branch chief that offered James Williams a place on his team?
5. What Supreme Court announcement did Katherine Goble Johnson discuss with her male coworkers?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)