|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pontritter do for a living?
2. What does Geraldine Portnoy give Lucas for Herzog?
3. Where does Herzog go first after his second divorce?
4. Where does Herzog take Marco?
5. Who does Herzog see while he is married to Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madeleine tell the police that might hurt Herzog?
2. Why does Herzog write a letter in his mind to Sandor Himmelstein?
3. Why does Herzog call his brother, Will?
4. Why does Herzog call Simkin?
5. What does Herzog write to Marco?
6. Why does Herzog suggest a course on marriage?
7. What happens when Herzog and June leave the aquarium?
8. Who are the Pontritters?
9. Why does Herzog go shopping for clothes?
10. What reminds Herzog of Madeleine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herzog's letters are a main focal point of the novel. What does the reader learn through these letters? How do the letters give insight into Herzog's character? Why does Herzog write the letters? Are the letters beneficial to him? Why doesn't he ever send any of the letters? Use specific examples to support the essay.
Essay Topic 2
The story uses three different points of view: Herzog as a first person narrator, the epistolary view (Herzog's letters), and the third person, in which the reader is allowed to know what Herzog is thinking. How do these three points of view help or hurt the story? How do the various viewpoints provide information to the reader? Explore how each point of view impacts the novel. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)