|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
2. What does Pontritter do for a living?
3. What does Madeleine demand of Herzog in Chapter 4?
4. What does Sandor says is the man's deal?
5. How much was the grant Herzog received?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
4. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
5. Decribe Shura Herzog.
6. Why does Herzog go to visit his stepmother, Taube?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
9. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
10. Why does Ramona call Herzog at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The major conflict in the novel is the conflict of man versus self. Herzog's main conflict is with his own being. Describe how this conflict is portrayed in the novel. What steps does Herzog take to try and resolve the conflict? Is he successful or not? Cite specific examples highlighting the conflict in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Madeleine is one of the main characters of the story. While most of what the reader knows about Madeleine is through Herzog, the reader also sees Madeleine in action during the confrontation at the police station. Herzog believes that Madeleine is paranoid and mentally unstable. Why does he think this? Is Madeleine really unstable or does Herzog conveniently see her that way? What events support or contradict Herzog's views of Madeleine's personality and character? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine is another character that also undergoes a change in the novel. Compare and contrast Madeleine's character and personality from when she first met Herzog as the "other woman," to when she divorces Herzog, to her encounter with Herzog at the police station in Chicago. Use specific examples in the text.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)