Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. How many children does Herzog have?
4. What is Herzog's book about?
5. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
6. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
9. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
10. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
Herzog has relationships with several women, and all of them are different. Choose three of the women (Sono, Ramona, Daisy, Madeleine) Herzog has an affair/relationship with. Describe each relationship and its affect on Herzog's character. How do these relationships impact the story? Use specific examples from the text.
A main goal for the characters in Herzog is to find truth and balance. Do any of the characters succeed at this discovery? Explain how three of the following characters (Herzog, Valentine, Phoebe, Daisy, Madeleine, Ramona) work to pursue the discovery of truth and balance. How does each character go about his/her pursuit? Is the character successful or not? Why? Use specific examples from the text.
Herzog's relationships with women differ. At some points he is a dedicated husband, while at others he has affairs with different women. Is Herzog merely a playboy or is he truly looking for love that he cannot find? Choose a side and cite at least three examples from the text to support the response. Be sure to thoroughly explain how each event/instance supports the thesis.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)