Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. How many children does Herzog have?
4. What is Herzog's book about?
5. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
6. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
9. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
10. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
Essay Topic 1
The house in Ludeyville is an ongoing symbol in the novel. Discuss what the house in Ludeyville represents at the various points it appears in the novel. How does the symbolism of the house change throughout the book? Use specific examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Herzog's letters are a main focal point of the novel. What does the reader learn through these letters? How do the letters give insight into Herzog's character? Why does Herzog write the letters? Are the letters beneficial to him? Why doesn't he ever send any of the letters? Use specific examples to support the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Herzog is father to two children - Marco and June. Describe his paternal relationship with each of his children. How is Herzog's father role similar or different to the role his father played in Herzog's life? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)