Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. How many children does Herzog have?
4. What is Herzog's book about?
5. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
6. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
9. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
10. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
The major conflict in the novel is the conflict of man versus self. Herzog's main conflict is with his own being. Describe how this conflict is portrayed in the novel. What steps does Herzog take to try and resolve the conflict? Is he successful or not? Cite specific examples highlighting the conflict in the story.
Herzog's letters are a main focal point of the novel. What does the reader learn through these letters? How do the letters give insight into Herzog's character? Why does Herzog write the letters? Are the letters beneficial to him? Why doesn't he ever send any of the letters? Use specific examples to support the essay.
Herzog is father to two children - Marco and June. Describe his paternal relationship with each of his children. How is Herzog's father role similar or different to the role his father played in Herzog's life? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)