|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Herzog describe Shapiro's work?
2. Where does Herzog live?
3. How does Herzog describe himself?
4. In Chapter 2, who does Madeleine insist Herzog see?
5. What did Herzog purchase for his mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog call his brother, Will?
2. Decribe Shura Herzog.
3. How does June react when she sees Herzog in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
5. Why is Herzog leaving the city?
6. What is strange about Herzog's friend, Lucas Asphalter?
7. Why does Herzog write a letter in his mind to Sandor Himmelstein?
8. Who is Madeleine?
9. What happens when Herzog and June leave the aquarium?
10. Why is Polina upset with Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The house in Ludeyville is an ongoing symbol in the novel. Discuss what the house in Ludeyville represents at the various points it appears in the novel. How does the symbolism of the house change throughout the book? Use specific examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Madeleine is another character that also undergoes a change in the novel. Compare and contrast Madeleine's character and personality from when she first met Herzog as the "other woman," to when she divorces Herzog, to her encounter with Herzog at the police station in Chicago. Use specific examples in the text.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)