|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Herzog's letter, what is grief?
2. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
3. What does Madeleine tell Shapiro she is preparing for?
4. What does Herzog purchase in Chapter 2?
5. About what do Madeleine and Herzog fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wanda?
2. Who is Madeleine?
3. Who is Nachman?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do after he arrives at Libbie Vane's home?
6. Describe Phoebe Gersbach.
7. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
8. Why can't Herzog explain to Daisy's mother about his choices to abandon women?
9. Why is Herzog leaving the city?
10. Why does Herzog think a holiday should start with a train ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, Herzog says, "I go after reality with language." What does he mean by this statement? How does this statement reflect the themes of the novel? How does the epistolary structure and point of view support his statement? Do you agree or disagree with Herzog's comment? Is he really pursuing reality or something else? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The house in Ludeyville is an ongoing symbol in the novel. Discuss what the house in Ludeyville represents at the various points it appears in the novel. How does the symbolism of the house change throughout the book? Use specific examples from the text in your response.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)