|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. Why does Herzog write Sandor a letter?
4. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
5. How does Tennie say Madeleine feels about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
2. What does Herzog try to convince Phoebe to do?
3. Who are the Pontritters?
4. Why is Polina upset with Daisy?
5. Decribe Shura Herzog.
6. Who is Sono?
7. Why does Herzog go shopping for clothes?
8. How does Herzog feel towards Madeleine in Chapter 5?
9. What happens when Herzog arrives at the police station?
10. Describe Taube.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herzog has relationships with several women, and all of them are different. Choose three of the women (Sono, Ramona, Daisy, Madeleine) Herzog has an affair/relationship with. Describe each relationship and its affect on Herzog's character. How do these relationships impact the story? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Madeleine is one of the main characters of the story. While most of what the reader knows about Madeleine is through Herzog, the reader also sees Madeleine in action during the confrontation at the police station. Herzog believes that Madeleine is paranoid and mentally unstable. Why does he think this? Is Madeleine really unstable or does Herzog conveniently see her that way? What events support or contradict Herzog's views of Madeleine's personality and character? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Herzog's relationships with women differ. At some points he is a dedicated husband, while at others he has affairs with different women. Is Herzog merely a playboy or is he truly looking for love that he cannot find? Choose a side and cite at least three examples from the text to support the response. Be sure to thoroughly explain how each event/instance supports the thesis.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)