Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. How many children does Herzog have?
4. What is Herzog's book about?
5. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
6. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
9. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
10. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
Essay Topic 1
Herzog is father to two children - Marco and June. Describe his paternal relationship with each of his children. How is Herzog's father role similar or different to the role his father played in Herzog's life? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes in Herzog is the idea of reality versus the ideal. How do events in the novel perpetuate this theme? How do the main characters, particularly Herzog, embody the idea of someone searching for reality against the ideal? Highlight at least three instances in which this theme is evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The major conflict in the novel is the conflict of man versus self. Herzog's main conflict is with his own being. Describe how this conflict is portrayed in the novel. What steps does Herzog take to try and resolve the conflict? Is he successful or not? Cite specific examples highlighting the conflict in the story.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)