|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Herzog live?
2. To whom does Herzog write?
3. How does Herzog describe Shapiro's work?
4. How does Herzog feel when the Gersbachs visit?
5. Who is Herzog's second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog travel to Chicago in Chapter 7?
2. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
3. Who is Nachman?
4. What does Herzog write to Marco?
5. Why does Ramona call Herzog at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. Why does Herzog call his brother, Will?
7. Who are the Pontritters?
8. Why is Herzog upset at the city courthouse?
9. How does Herzog feel about the house in Ludeyville?
10. How does June react when she sees Herzog in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
The beginning and ending scenes/chapters of the novel mirror each other. Compare and contrast the opening chapter of Herzog with the last chapter. How is this technique relevant to the story? Why has the author decided to take this approach?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Herzog is married twice - once to Daisy and once to Madeleine. Compare and contrast these two women and their differing relationships with Herzog. How does each deal with Herzog's personality? What is the demise of each relationship? Describe the relationships after the divorce. Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)