|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madeleine tell Shapiro she is preparing for?
2. To whom does Herzog write?
3. What did Herzog purchase for his mother-in-law?
4. Who says, "Looking for happiness - ought to be prepared for bad results"?
5. Where does the cab take Herzog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madeleine tell the police that might hurt Herzog?
2. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
3. How does Herzog feel towards Madeleine in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Polina upset with Daisy?
5. What does Herzog say to Ramona during their encounter at the Tuttles?
6. What happens when Herzog and June leave the aquarium?
7. What does Herzog write to Marco?
8. Describe the house in Ludeyville on Herzog's return trip.
9. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
10. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeleine is one of the main characters of the story. While most of what the reader knows about Madeleine is through Herzog, the reader also sees Madeleine in action during the confrontation at the police station. Herzog believes that Madeleine is paranoid and mentally unstable. Why does he think this? Is Madeleine really unstable or does Herzog conveniently see her that way? What events support or contradict Herzog's views of Madeleine's personality and character? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Herzog is father to two children - Marco and June. Describe his paternal relationship with each of his children. How is Herzog's father role similar or different to the role his father played in Herzog's life? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)