Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
3. How many children does Herzog have?
4. What is Herzog's book about?
5. Where are the results for Herzog's funded study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog do when he arrives at Madeleine's house?
2. Who are the Pontritters?
3. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What does Lucas Asphalter do for Herzog in Chapter 7?
5. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
6. What happens at Father Herzog's bootlegging deal?
7. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
9. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
10. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
Essay Topic 1
Herzog's letters are a main focal point of the novel. What does the reader learn through these letters? How do the letters give insight into Herzog's character? Why does Herzog write the letters? Are the letters beneficial to him? Why doesn't he ever send any of the letters? Use specific examples to support the essay.
Essay Topic 2
The desire for change is one of the themes in Saul Bellow's novel. Herzog's letters show a desire for change both in society and in himself. Compare Herzog in the beginning, the middle or climax, and the end of the novel. How does Herzog change throughout the story? How does society change around him? Do Herzog and society change at all or do they remain the same? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the novel is sanity or the lack thereof. How are sanity and insanity/mental instability portrayed in the novel? What does each represent? What characters fit into each category? How do the characters on the insanity side try to move towards sanity? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)