|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "If I am out of my mind, it's all right with me..."?
2. Who says, "...if existence is nausea then faith is an uncertain relief"?
3. What can Madeleine not recall at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Where do Herzog and Uncle Herman go?
5. What does Herzog believe Madeleine has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Herzog upset at the city courthouse?
2. Who is Nachman?
3. Who is Ramona?
4. Why does Tennie, Madeleine's mother, think the situation is different with Herzog?
5. How does Herzog feel about Ramona?
6. What is strange about Herzog's friend, Lucas Asphalter?
7. Who is Wanda?
8. What happens when Herzog arrives at the police station?
9. Why can't Herzog explain to Daisy's mother about his choices to abandon women?
10. Who are the Pontritters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the author, Saul Bellow. How does Bellow's life mirror that of his character Herzog? How are Bellow and Herzog different? Why do you think Bellow pulled from his life experiences to create this character? Is his technique effective or not? Use specific examples both from the text and the author's life in the response.
Essay Topic 2
A major theme in the novel is sanity or the lack thereof. How are sanity and insanity/mental instability portrayed in the novel? What does each represent? What characters fit into each category? How do the characters on the insanity side try to move towards sanity? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Social roles play a part in character development. The novel takes place during the 1960s. What are the expected, typical social roles of men and women during this time? Choose three of the main characters (Herzog, Daisy, Madeleine, Valentine, Ramona), and explain how each either fits or goes against the typical social roles of the time. How do these roles impact the novel? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)