|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sandor says is the man's deal?
2. How does Herzog describe himself?
3. What can Madeleine not recall at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What does Herzog say is a "theatrical event" for Madeleine?
5. What disease does Herzog have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog not want to marry Ramona?
2. Why does Herzog write a letter in his mind to Sandor Himmelstein?
3. Who would be hit the worst by the court case?
4. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
5. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
6. What happens when Herzog arrives at the police station?
7. What does Will want Herzog to do?
8. What does Herzog do after he arrives at Libbie Vane's home?
9. Describe Taube.
10. Describe the house in Ludeyville on Herzog's return trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herzog has relationships with several women, and all of them are different. Choose three of the women (Sono, Ramona, Daisy, Madeleine) Herzog has an affair/relationship with. Describe each relationship and its affect on Herzog's character. How do these relationships impact the story? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A major theme in the novel is sanity or the lack thereof. How are sanity and insanity/mental instability portrayed in the novel? What does each represent? What characters fit into each category? How do the characters on the insanity side try to move towards sanity? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in Herzog is the idea of reality versus the ideal. How do events in the novel perpetuate this theme? How do the main characters, particularly Herzog, embody the idea of someone searching for reality against the ideal? Highlight at least three instances in which this theme is evident in the novel.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)