|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Emmerich recommend for Herzog?
2. To what does Herzog compare Madeleine putting on her makeup?
3. What does Sandor ask Herzog to do while Herzog is staying at Sandor's?
4. What does Madeleine demand of Herzog in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Herzog write Sandor a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog go to see Aunt Zelda?
2. Who is Ramona?
3. What does Will want Herzog to do?
4. What does Herzog do on his outings with Marco?
5. What does Madeleine's father tell Herzog when he meets him?
6. Why does Herzog go to Europe?
7. What does Herzog say to Ramona during their encounter at the Tuttles?
8. Who are the Pontritters?
9. Why does Herzog no longer entirely trust Aunt Zelda?
10. How does Herzog feel about the house in Ludeyville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herzog is father to two children - Marco and June. Describe his paternal relationship with each of his children. How is Herzog's father role similar or different to the role his father played in Herzog's life? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the novel is the idea of redemption. How does the story highlight this idea? How does the story move towards redemption? What do the main characters do to complete the task of attaining redemption? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in Herzog is the idea of reality versus the ideal. How do events in the novel perpetuate this theme? How do the main characters, particularly Herzog, embody the idea of someone searching for reality against the ideal? Highlight at least three instances in which this theme is evident in the novel.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)