|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Herzog live?
2. What does Herzog's father do for work?
3. How much was the grant Herzog received?
4. According to Herzog, what is the most dangerous class of people?
5. What is odd about Lucas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog write to Marco?
2. What happens when Herzog arrives at the police station?
3. Describe the main character of the novel.
4. What does Herzog say to Ramona during their encounter at the Tuttles?
5. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
6. Why is Herzog leaving the city?
7. What does Will want Herzog to do?
8. Who is George Hoberly?
9. Describe the house in Ludeyville on Herzog's return trip.
10. What is strange about Herzog's friend, Lucas Asphalter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The beginning and ending scenes/chapters of the novel mirror each other. Compare and contrast the opening chapter of Herzog with the last chapter. How is this technique relevant to the story? Why has the author decided to take this approach?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, Herzog says, "I go after reality with language." What does he mean by this statement? How does this statement reflect the themes of the novel? How does the epistolary structure and point of view support his statement? Do you agree or disagree with Herzog's comment? Is he really pursuing reality or something else? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the novel is sanity or the lack thereof. How are sanity and insanity/mental instability portrayed in the novel? What does each represent? What characters fit into each category? How do the characters on the insanity side try to move towards sanity? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)