|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pushes Sandor over the edge?
2. What could throw Madeleine into a rage?
3. What does Herzog tell Ramona in his mind in Chapter 3?
4. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
5. Where is Herzog's writing headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herzog say about this batch of letters he is writing at the Ludeyville house?
2. Who would be hit the worst by the court case?
3. What does Madeleine tell the police that might hurt Herzog?
4. Who is Madeleine?
5. Who is Sono?
6. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Why is Polina upset with Daisy?
8. Why does Herzog go shopping for clothes?
9. What does Madeleine's father tell Herzog when he meets him?
10. Why does Herzog clean himself up at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeleine is another character that also undergoes a change in the novel. Compare and contrast Madeleine's character and personality from when she first met Herzog as the "other woman," to when she divorces Herzog, to her encounter with Herzog at the police station in Chicago. Use specific examples in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Herzog's relationships with women differ. At some points he is a dedicated husband, while at others he has affairs with different women. Is Herzog merely a playboy or is he truly looking for love that he cannot find? Choose a side and cite at least three examples from the text to support the response. Be sure to thoroughly explain how each event/instance supports the thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Social roles play a part in character development. The novel takes place during the 1960s. What are the expected, typical social roles of men and women during this time? Choose three of the main characters (Herzog, Daisy, Madeleine, Valentine, Ramona), and explain how each either fits or goes against the typical social roles of the time. How do these roles impact the novel? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)