|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pushes Sandor over the edge?
2. What do Marco and Herzog discuss?
3. Who is Monsignor Hilton?
4. Where did Herzog and Madeleine first live?
5. From whom did Herzog protect Libbie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Herzog and June leave the aquarium?
2. What does Madeleine's father tell Herzog when he meets him?
3. What does Will want Herzog to do?
4. Why does Herzog need to write to Shapiro?
5. What is relevant about the taxi driver that picks up Herzog?
6. Why does Herzog think a holiday should start with a train ride?
7. Why does Herzog travel to Chicago in Chapter 7?
8. Why is Herzog leaving the city?
9. What does Herzog say about this batch of letters he is writing at the Ludeyville house?
10. Why is Herzog upset at the city courthouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeleine is another character that also undergoes a change in the novel. Compare and contrast Madeleine's character and personality from when she first met Herzog as the "other woman," to when she divorces Herzog, to her encounter with Herzog at the police station in Chicago. Use specific examples in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Research the author, Saul Bellow. How does Bellow's life mirror that of his character Herzog? How are Bellow and Herzog different? Why do you think Bellow pulled from his life experiences to create this character? Is his technique effective or not? Use specific examples both from the text and the author's life in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The desire for change is one of the themes in Saul Bellow's novel. Herzog's letters show a desire for change both in society and in himself. Compare Herzog in the beginning, the middle or climax, and the end of the novel. How does Herzog change throughout the story? How does society change around him? Do Herzog and society change at all or do they remain the same? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)