|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herzog tell himself he should write instead of letters?
(a) Short stories.
(d) Newspaper articles.
2. What can Madeleine not recall at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) Dr. Edvig's advice.
(b) Her way home.
(c) Herzog's name.
(d) Her purchases at Marshall Field's.
3. What do Marco and Herzog discuss?
(b) Marco's school.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) Herzog's books.
4. Who says, "...if existence is nausea then faith is an uncertain relief"?
5. Who says, "We must be what we are"?
(a) Governor Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herzog and Madeleine first live?
2. Who is Lucas Asphalter?
3. What does Madeleine demand of Herzog in Chapter 4?
4. To what does Herzog compare Madeleine putting on her makeup?
5. Where does Shapiro suggest Madeleine needs to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herzog suggest a course on marriage?
2. What does Herzog say to Ramona during their encounter at the Tuttles?
3. Who is George Hoberly?
4. Describe the house in Ludeyville on Herzog's return trip.
5. Who is Madeleine?
6. Why does Herzog go to see Aunt Zelda?
7. Why does Herzog travel at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. Why does Tennie, Madeleine's mother, think the situation is different with Herzog?
9. Who is Wanda?
10. Why is Herzog upset at the city courthouse?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)