|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Looking for happiness - ought to be prepared for bad results"?
(a) Dr. Emmerich.
2. Who does Madeleine think is following her?
(a) Dr. Edvig.
(d) A private investigator.
3. Who is Lucas Asphalter?
(a) Herzog's friend.
(b) Madeleine's lover.
(c) Herzog's therapist.
(d) Madeleine's husband.
4. Who cooked Madeleine and Herzog's wedding dinner?
5. Where does Herzog go his first night of vacation?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To a lecture.
(c) To dinner.
(d) Back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herzog tell himself he should write instead of letters?
2. According to Herzog's letter, what is grief?
3. What, according to Herzog, is a "howling emptiness"?
4. What course does Herzog suggest for the school?
5. What disease does Herzog have?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does Madeleine replace religion?
2. How does Herzog feel about the house in Ludeyville?
3. Why does Herzog call Simkin?
4. Describe the house in Ludeyville on Herzog's return trip.
5. Why does Herzog suggest a course on marriage?
6. What does Herzog say about this batch of letters he is writing at the Ludeyville house?
7. Why does Ramona call Herzog at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. What does Herzog try to convince Phoebe to do?
9. What is strange about Herzog's friend, Lucas Asphalter?
10. What does Madeleine's father tell Herzog when he meets him?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)