|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Herzog have?
2. Where does Madeleine work in Chapter 4?
(b) A Victorian house.
(c) The train station.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
3. Who says, "...if existence is nausea then faith is an uncertain relief"?
4. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
(a) A new house.
(b) A passport.
(d) An insurance policy.
5. To what does Herzog compare his life?
(a) An ego boost.
(b) A convalescence.
(c) A depression.
(d) A long illness.
6. What does Dr. Emmerich recommend for Herzog?
(a) More tests.
(b) A vacation.
(c) The hospital.
7. Who is Simkin?
(a) Madeleine's father.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Herzog's father.
(d) Madeleine's lover.
8. Who says, "We must be what we are"?
(c) Governor Stevenson.
9. About what do Madeleine and Herzog fight?
10. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
(a) A soul.
(b) A suitcase.
11. Whose condition does Herzog think is worse than his?
12. What does Herzog's father do for work?
13. To what religion does Madeleine convert?
14. How does Herzog describe Shapiro's work?
(a) Utopian fiction.
(b) Exaggerated non-fiction.
(c) Conspiracy theory.
(d) Rich history.
15. What does Sandor ask Herzog to do while Herzog is staying at Sandor's?
(a) Keep the bar stocked.
(b) Take an interest in Carmel.
(c) Keep away from Madeleine.
(d) Talk to Sandor's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Herzog leave his first wife and lover?
2. What does Geraldine Portnoy give Lucas for Herzog?
3. How much does Madeleine spend at Marshall Field's that shocks Herzog?
4. What does Sandor do with the money Herzog gives him?
5. Who is Herzog's first wife?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)