|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Herzog, is a "howling emptiness"?
2. From whom did Herzog protect Libbie?
(b) No one.
3. Who says, "...if existence is nausea then faith is an uncertain relief"?
4. What does Herzog question in the letter to himself?
(a) His interest in social questions.
(b) His lack of commitment to Ramona.
(c) His two divorces.
(d) His concern for park safety.
5. What does Sandor do with the money Herzog gives him?
(a) Spends it for himself.
(b) Gambles it away.
(c) Gives it to Madeleine.
(d) Gives it to his children.
6. What does Herzog say is a "theatrical event" for Madeleine?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Getting ready.
7. Where does Madeleine work in Chapter 4?
(a) A Victorian house.
(c) The train station.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
8. For whom does Herzog leave his first wife and lover?
9. What did Herzog purchase for his mother-in-law?
(b) Movie posters.
(c) Virginia Rounds.
10. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
(b) A new house.
(c) A passport.
(d) An insurance policy.
11. Who is Geraldine Portnoy?
(a) Herzog's lover.
(b) Herzog's mother.
(c) Herzog's former student.
(d) Herzog's daughter.
12. According to one of Herzog's favorite sources, what is "true friendship"?
13. What course does Herzog suggest for the school?
14. Who cooked Madeleine and Herzog's wedding dinner?
15. What does Herzog tell Libbie when he first sees her?
(a) He does not want to meet Arnold.
(b) He is not going to stay.
(c) He wants to marry her.
(d) He is depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Herzog have?
2. What is the subject matter of Herzog's job?
3. What instrument does Herzog play?
4. In Chapter 3, what is Herzog not sure he still has?
5. Who picks Herzog up at the ferry station?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)