|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herzog tell Libbie when he first sees her?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He wants to marry her.
(c) He is not going to stay.
(d) He does not want to meet Arnold.
2. About what do Madeleine and Herzog fight?
3. Who cooked Madeleine and Herzog's wedding dinner?
4. Where does Herzog take Marco?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) The subway.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The zoo.
5. Who is Madeleine's lover?
6. What does Herzog believe Madeleine has?
7. What course does Herzog suggest for the school?
8. To what does Herzog compare his life?
(a) An ego boost.
(b) A convalescence.
(c) A depression.
(d) A long illness.
9. Who picks Herzog up at the ferry station?
(a) A cab driver.
10. According to Herzog, what do nice girls marry for?
11. What do Marco and Herzog discuss?
(a) Marco's school.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) Herzog's books.
12. What disease does Herzog have?
(b) Heart disease.
13. Who is the main character?
14. Who is Simkin?
(a) Madeleine's father.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Madeleine's lover.
(d) Herzog's father.
15. Why does Herzog need to apologize to Shapiro?
(a) For his lack of attention to reviewing Shapiro's writing.
(b) For forgetting to invite Shapiro to Europe.
(c) For overwhelming the conversation between Shapiro and Madeleine.
(d) For not telling Shapiro he had moved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Madeleine not recall at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Where does Madeleine work in Chapter 4?
3. Where do Herzog and Uncle Herman go?
4. To whom does Herzog write?
5. Who did Herzog see when he returned to Chicago?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)