|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Herzog need to apologize to Shapiro?
(a) For overwhelming the conversation between Shapiro and Madeleine.
(b) For forgetting to invite Shapiro to Europe.
(c) For not telling Shapiro he had moved.
(d) For his lack of attention to reviewing Shapiro's writing.
2. Where does Herzog take Marco?
(a) The subway.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The zoo.
3. Who is Madeleine's lover?
4. According to Herzog's letter, what is grief?
(a) A species of death.
(b) A species of life.
(c) A species of idleness.
(d) A species of justification.
5. Who says, "The good are attracted by men's perceptions and think not for themselves"?
6. Who does Madeleine think is following her?
(c) Dr. Edvig.
(d) A private investigator.
7. Who is "money's medium"?
8. What does Geraldine Portnoy give Lucas for Herzog?
(c) A letter.
9. What does Herzog question in the letter to himself?
(a) His concern for park safety.
(b) His two divorces.
(c) His interest in social questions.
(d) His lack of commitment to Ramona.
10. What does Herzog tell Ramona in his mind in Chapter 3?
(a) That he is leaving her.
(b) That she should marry him.
(c) That is does not like her clothes.
(d) That he does not care for her.
11. What does Dr. Emmerich recommend for Herzog?
(b) The hospital.
(c) More tests.
(d) A vacation.
12. What is odd about Lucas?
(a) His profession.
(b) His devotion to his mother.
(c) His attachment to animals.
(d) His appearance.
13. What does Madeleine demand of Herzog in Chapter 4?
(a) For him to give up Marco.
(b) For him to quit teaching.
(c) For him to convert from Judaism.
(d) For him to divorce Daisy.
14. Who cooked Madeleine and Herzog's wedding dinner?
15. What does Herzog do for a living?
(a) A writer.
(b) A college professor.
(c) A poet.
(d) A banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herzog purchase in Chapter 2?
2. Why does Herzog write Sandor a letter?
3. What does Sandor want Herzog to purchase?
4. How does Tennie say Madeleine feels about her father?
5. What could throw Madeleine into a rage?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)