|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The place of the Hero's ____....is the mid-point or navel of the world.
2. The goal is an ultimate reunion between physical and _________ worlds.
3. The man-hero needs to go on a quest for the identity of his __________.
4. The Hero's reward is to live without __________ to the world and to daily life.
5. Who was conceived under supernatural circumstances but ruled with a strong connection to the real world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell stress about the idea of symbols?
2. How is the freedom won from the malice of the monster symbolized as?
3. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
4. What does Campbell do in "The Keys"?
5. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
6. What does Campbell suggest every individual member of the human race has a responsibility to do?
7. What occurs in "The Master of the Two Worlds"?
8. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
9. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
10. Campbell goes into detail about the relationship between what two things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Campbell writes much about Christianity, though not always in the most favorable of light. Some have said this shows his lack of compassion for Christ-based faiths, but others disagree.
Part 1: Describe Christianity as Campbell examines it in this book.
Part 2: What does Campbell seem to say about Christian practices? Support your answers.
Part 3: Do you think Campbell approves of or disapproves of Christianity? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the atonement of the father is the one section that seems to confuse readers.
Part 1: How does Campbell describe the idea of "atonement with the father"?
Part 2: How do you define this idea as it relates to your life? Why do you choose the definition you do?
Part 3: Why do you think Campbell chose the idea of the "father" as opposed to the mother?
Essay Topic 3
One contradiction Campbell seems to make is that while there is an overall striving towards being above this world, there is also a need for balance and duality.
Part 1: How can the "real" world and the spirit world coexist in balance? That is, how can both exist without one being greater than the other?
Part 2: Does the physical side of existence need to be denied in order to gain enlightenment? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Campbell seem to be saying about the idea of being a Hero in today's times?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)