|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intellect and language are too ________; symbols and myth are boundless in their capacity.
2. Death can be just as dangerous as the journey into _________.
3. The Hero is free to live because he has lived true _________.
4. Who vanquished the dragon?
5. The Hero's reward is to live without __________ to the world and to daily life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize "Out of the Void - Space."
2. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
3. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
4. Summarize "The Virgin Birth - Mother Universe."
5. What are some of the symbols Campbell points out in the Christian sacrament of baptism?
6. Campbell goes into detail about the relationship between what two things?
7. What is the end of the life in the universe portrayed as in this section?
8. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
9. Describe the content of "Childhood of the Human Hero."
10. What occurs in "Freedom to Live"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Campbell also speaks to the relationship between myth and dreams.
Part 1: Define the idea of a dream as it is described in this book.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the ideas of a dream and a myth.
Part 3: How are dreams and myths interconnected, according to Campbell?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the myth is the underlying theme and motivation of this book, "The Hero with a Thousand Faces."
Part 1: Define the idea of a myth.
Part 2: How are myths used in cultures today and in the past?
Part 3: What is the observation Campbell makes about myths as they are told across cultures and time periods?
Essay Topic 3
When the Hero finds what he/she is looking for, it is a great moment of power.
Part 1: Describe the possible things that a Hero might find as they overcome obstacles and prove victorious.
Part 2: What is the importance of the Hero's victory?
Part 3: If the victory does not create a tangible prize, what does a Hero have to show for his troubles?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)