|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second effect of the cosmogonic emanations of universal power?
2. What is the simple answer to why the Hero would want to return to a world after his journey?
3. What does Campbell say this ritual in #125 really is a ritual of?
4. What does this section "The Keys" summarize?
5. Symbols are only the ________ of communication.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the place of the Hero's birth?
2. Summarize "The Virgin Birth - Mother Universe."
3. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
4. What does Campbell suggest every individual member of the human race has a responsibility to do?
5. What is the end of the life in the universe portrayed as in this section?
6. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
7. What is death portrayed as, according to Campbell?
8. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
9. How is the freedom won from the malice of the monster symbolized as?
10. Campbell goes into detail about the relationship between what two things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The encouragement of the Hero by someone older and wiser seems to be a necessary part of the Hero's journey as well.
Part 1: Describe the step of the Hero's Journey in which the wise old man or woman comes to help.
Part 2: Why is it necessary for the Hero to have this help?
Part 3: Give at least 2 examples of wise old people that have helped heroes along the way of their journey.
Essay Topic 2
One contradiction Campbell seems to make is that while there is an overall striving towards being above this world, there is also a need for balance and duality.
Part 1: How can the "real" world and the spirit world coexist in balance? That is, how can both exist without one being greater than the other?
Part 2: Does the physical side of existence need to be denied in order to gain enlightenment? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does Campbell seem to be saying about the idea of being a Hero in today's times?
Essay Topic 3
The reluctance of the Hero is something all of us can understand.
Part 1: Describe the idea of the Hero's reluctance to be a hero.
Part 2: What is the significance of this reluctance?
Part 3: Describe at least 2 examples of stories in which the Hero is reluctant.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)