|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whenever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography...it is ________.
2. Death can be just as dangerous as the journey into _________.
3. The man-hero needs to go on a quest for the identity of his __________.
4. Where are the Maori from?
5. When does the human being in question become at one with the source of human energy during this pattern of #140?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
2. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
3. Over time, what has happened to core myths, according to Campbell?
4. What occurs in "Freedom to Live"?
5. What is the end of the life in the universe portrayed as in this section?
6. Campbell goes into detail about the relationship between what two things?
7. What occurs in "The Master of the Two Worlds"?
8. Describe the content of "Childhood of the Human Hero."
9. Summarize "Out of the Void - Space."
10. How is the freedom won from the malice of the monster symbolized as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the Hero continues the journey, there are a number of different ways he is tested.
Part 1: List at least 2 of the steps along the Hero's journey that test the Hero.
Part 2: Describe these steps in detail. What does the Hero face? Why?
Part 3: Why are these steps turning points for the Hero?
Essay Topic 2
When the Hero finds what he/she is looking for, it is a great moment of power.
Part 1: Describe the possible things that a Hero might find as they overcome obstacles and prove victorious.
Part 2: What is the importance of the Hero's victory?
Part 3: If the victory does not create a tangible prize, what does a Hero have to show for his troubles?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the atonement of the father is the one section that seems to confuse readers.
Part 1: How does Campbell describe the idea of "atonement with the father"?
Part 2: How do you define this idea as it relates to your life? Why do you choose the definition you do?
Part 3: Why do you think Campbell chose the idea of the "father" as opposed to the mother?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)