|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the quote at the beginning of this section?
2. All things, moral and ________, beautiful and ________ emerge from this central area.
3. It is indeed the Hero's responsibility to accept that part of himself and to become the _________.
4. What is the third step in the typical Hero's journey?
5. What is a narrative form anchored in the pain and fear of that ultimate truth of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the idea of "Refusal of the Call."
2. Why is the atonement such an important stage for the Hero's Journey?
3. List three examples that Campbell uses to show the Hero's journey.
4. What is the main idea of "The Woman as the Temptress"?
5. What example does Campbell use to show the fact that dreams of contemporary individuals seem to play out stories from classical myths?
6. What does Campbell offer as the ultimate example of unification with the source of all things in order to become like the Father?
7. Summarize the concept of "The Ultimate Boon."
8. What is the main idea in "Apotheosis"?
9. What does Campbell suggest is the ultimate point of the Hero's journey?
10. What are the "inexhaustible energies" to which Campbell refers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reluctance of the Hero is something all of us can understand.
Part 1: Describe the idea of the Hero's reluctance to be a hero.
Part 2: What is the significance of this reluctance?
Part 3: Describe at least 2 examples of stories in which the Hero is reluctant.
Essay Topic 2
When the Hero finds what he/she is looking for, it is a great moment of power.
Part 1: Describe the possible things that a Hero might find as they overcome obstacles and prove victorious.
Part 2: What is the importance of the Hero's victory?
Part 3: If the victory does not create a tangible prize, what does a Hero have to show for his troubles?
Essay Topic 3
Campbell also speaks to the relationship between myth and dreams.
Part 1: Define the idea of a dream as it is described in this book.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the ideas of a dream and a myth.
Part 3: How are dreams and myths interconnected, according to Campbell?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)