|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the half human/half bull child of an enchanted queen?
2. The Native American priest calls this central area the absolute ________ of the land beneath the sky.
3. Who is often portrayed as being one with his spouse, Shakti?
4. Heroes in what tend to bring enlightenment to the community?
5. What is the connection that is actually being sought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main idea of the "Tragedy and Comedy" section?
2. By what are the Hero's first steps blocked?
3. What is the shimenawa?
4. Why is the atonement such an important stage for the Hero's Journey?
5. Summarize the content of "The Magic Flight."
6. What is the idea of the "Supernatural Aid"?
7. What does Campbell suggest is the ultimate point of the Hero's journey?
8. What are archetypes?
9. Summarize "The Atonement with the Father."
10. Describe the content of "The Monomyth" - what does this section talk about and what does the reader learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The threshold is the step that a Hero must take in order to truly begin his/her journey.
Part 1: Define the idea of a threshold in the Hero's Journey.
Part 2: Why is it imperative that the Hero pass the first threshold?
Part 3: Cite at least 2 examples of thresholds that heroes have crossed.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of an innermost cave creates the first victory for the Hero in their journey.
Part 1: Describe the idea of the innermost cave.
Part 2: What is the importance of the innermost cave for the Hero's journey.
Part 3: Cite at least two examples of innermost caves that a Hero has encountered in myth or in stories.
Essay Topic 3
When the Hero finds what he/she is looking for, it is a great moment of power.
Part 1: Describe the possible things that a Hero might find as they overcome obstacles and prove victorious.
Part 2: What is the importance of the Hero's victory?
Part 3: If the victory does not create a tangible prize, what does a Hero have to show for his troubles?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)