|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ thus asserts that all reality emerges from a transcendent, universal, sub-conscious and ultimately unknowable truth.
2. What is the spiritual city, and thus center for those who practice the Muslim faith?
3. Who is both of the world and of the spirit, both male and female?
4. What has summoned the Hero and transferred his spiritual center of gravity from within the pale of his society to a zone unknown?
5. What does the Hero encounter if he does not do the bidding of the God or Goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the atonement such an important stage for the Hero's Journey?
2. How did cities note the presence of a world navel in their construction and layout?
3. What occurs as a result of the encounter with the Father?
4. What is the main concept behind the section "The World Navel"?
5. What are some of the psychological weapons a Hero might use to get back the obstacle that lies in his path at the start?
6. By what are the Hero's first steps blocked?
7. List three examples that Campbell uses to show the Hero's journey.
8. Summarize "The Rescue from Without."
9. What is the main idea of the "Tragedy and Comedy" section?
10. What is the main content of the section, "The Hero and the God"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Campbell also speaks to the relationship between myth and dreams.
Part 1: Define the idea of a dream as it is described in this book.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the ideas of a dream and a myth.
Part 3: How are dreams and myths interconnected, according to Campbell?
Essay Topic 2
The idea that the Hero needing to be rescued from his journey is a surprising one to some readers.
Part 1: Describe the idea of the "Rescue from Without."
Part 2: Why is this section a necessary part of the description of the Hero's Journey?
Part 3: In showing that even heroes need to be rescued, what does this seem to say about the idea of a Hero?
Essay Topic 3
Campbell writes much about Christianity, though not always in the most favorable of light. Some have said this shows his lack of compassion for Christ-based faiths, but others disagree.
Part 1: Describe Christianity as Campbell examines it in this book.
Part 2: What does Campbell seem to say about Christian practices? Support your answers.
Part 3: Do you think Campbell approves of or disapproves of Christianity? Support your answer.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)