|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose womb nourishes life?
2. Comedy and tragedy are both aspects of the same experience of _______.
3. In "Supernatural Aid," what does Campbell suggest these types of figures are....
4. What flows from this central area, as Campbell describes?
5. What is the center, a source from which all truth flows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the idea of "Refusal of the Call."
2. How does Campbell describe the world navel?
3. How did cities note the presence of a world navel in their construction and layout?
4. Summarize "The Atonement with the Father."
5. List at least two examples of how the world navel has been portrayed in myths, according to Campbell.
6. What is the main concept behind the section "The World Navel"?
7. By what are the Hero's first steps blocked?
8. Summarize "The Rescue from Without."
9. What are archetypes?
10. What is the main idea of "The Woman as the Temptress"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nature of duality is one that Campbell returns to again and again.
Part 1: Define the concept of duality. What does it mean?
Part 2: Describe at least 3 stories/myths in which Campbell notes duality.
Part 3: What does Campbell seem to be saying about duality as it relates to myth?
Essay Topic 2
The Hero seems to always be on a journey to vanquish evil in the world.
Part 1: Define the idea of evil as it relates to the journey of the Hero.
Part 2: What happens when evil is overcome?
Part 3: Does this seem to mean that evil is necessary so that Heroes might go on journeys? What do you think?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of archetypes seems to provide the main support for Campbell's ideas about myths and their importance.
Part 1: Define the concept of the archetype.
Part 2: Who created the concept of the archetype and for what purpose?
Part 3: What are some of the archetypes that were created by this person?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)