|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapons impress the answer to #50 more than swords?
2. Who saw the Goddess Artemis nude and was unrepentant?
3. The division between the God of the Old Testament and the God in the New Testament further brings up the idea of __________.
4. What does Campbell say the archetypal image of God might be?
5. What is the spiritual city, and thus center for those who practice the Muslim faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens in "The Meeting with the Goddess."
2. Describe the Hero as Campbell sees this character.
3. What happens in "The Refusal of the Return"?
4. Summarize the content of "The Magic Flight."
5. Why is the atonement such an important stage for the Hero's Journey?
6. Describe the idea of "The Call to Adventure."
7. What is the main concept behind the section "The World Navel"?
8. What is the shimenawa?
9. How did cities note the presence of a world navel in their construction and layout?
10. Summarize "The Atonement with the Father."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The threshold is the step that a Hero must take in order to truly begin his/her journey.
Part 1: Define the idea of a threshold in the Hero's Journey.
Part 2: Why is it imperative that the Hero pass the first threshold?
Part 3: Cite at least 2 examples of thresholds that heroes have crossed.
Essay Topic 2
When the Hero finds what he/she is looking for, it is a great moment of power.
Part 1: Describe the possible things that a Hero might find as they overcome obstacles and prove victorious.
Part 2: What is the importance of the Hero's victory?
Part 3: If the victory does not create a tangible prize, what does a Hero have to show for his troubles?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of archetypes seems to provide the main support for Campbell's ideas about myths and their importance.
Part 1: Define the concept of the archetype.
Part 2: Who created the concept of the archetype and for what purpose?
Part 3: What are some of the archetypes that were created by this person?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)