|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What includes specific references, that Campbell quotes, to the human body becoming one with the parts of the gods?
(c) Book of the Dead
2. What kind of element is the fire of the ritual in #125?
(a) Both genders
3. When does the human being in question become at one with the source of human energy during this pattern of #140?
(a) Deep sleep/dreamless experience
4. "The aim is not to _______, but to realize that one is, that essence."
(d) Give up
5. "The freedom won from the malice of the monster....is symbolized as a _________."
(d) Purse of wealth
Short Answer Questions
1. Campbell believes that Christianity has turned the stories of the Bible from symbolic meanings to shallow _______.
2. What can not be directly compared to dream?
3. In reference to the Hero, Campbell writes, "...the Law lives in him with his unreserved __________."
4. Intellect and language are too ________; symbols and myth are boundless in their capacity.
5. What is one way, Campbell suggests, humans can use to separate themselves from their outer layers and connect with spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the "Shape-shifter" point out?
2. Where is the place of the Hero's birth?
3. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
4. What is the end of the life in the universe portrayed as in this section?
5. Describe the content of "Childhood of the Human Hero."
6. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
7. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
8. Over time, what has happened to core myths, according to Campbell?
9. Summarize "Within Space - Life."
10. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)