|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a civilization begins to reinterpret its mythology...the ________ goes out of it.
2. The world ________ is also _______.
(a) Without, within
(b) Around, above
(c) Beneath, above
(d) Above, below
3. When does the human being in question become at one with the source of human energy during this pattern of #140?
(d) Deep sleep/dreamless experience
4. What includes specific references, that Campbell quotes, to the human body becoming one with the parts of the gods?
(c) Book of the Dead
5. On which ritual from Christianity does Campbell focus his efforts?
Short Answer Questions
1. The man-hero must break the tyrant's control and relate his spiritual ________.
2. "The aim is not to _______, but to realize that one is, that essence."
3. What kind of element is the water of the ritual in #125?
4. The process through which humanity emerges and returns to that from which it emerged is called the ______ cycle.
5. About Mary: "....her womb, remaining fallow as the primordial abyss, summons to itself...the original power that fertilized the _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is death portrayed as, according to Campbell?
2. Summarize "The Virgin Birth - Mother Universe."
3. What does Campbell do in "The Keys"?
4. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
5. What does Campbell stress about the idea of symbols?
6. Summarize "The Universal Round."
7. Over time, what has happened to core myths, according to Campbell?
8. Summarize "Within Space - Life."
9. Where is the place of the Hero's birth?
10. What does Campbell say happens when the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)