|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man-hero must break the tyrant's control and relate his spiritual ________.
2. In reference to the Hero, Campbell writes, "...the Law lives in him with his unreserved __________."
3. Campbell notes that many cultures have an explanation for the process of life/noise emerging from ________.
4. The Hero has two problems when he returns. One problem is that he needs to present what he has learned to those who ___________ his message.
(a) Don't care about
(b) Don't believe
(c) Don't understand
(d) Don't want to hear
5. The second task of the man-hero is to transcend the _________ spiritually.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the goddess from the Hindu goddess-virgin story?
2. Campbell believes that Christianity has turned the stories of the Bible from symbolic meanings to shallow _______.
3. The _______ exists in the conscious; the conscious opens itself to the sub-conscious.
4. Since _____ can be dangerous, Campbell suggests this is why it is marked by detailed, mythically grounded prayer.
5. The Hero is often endowed with the ability to pass back and forth between ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in "The Master of the Two Worlds"?
2. What is the "universal round"?
3. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
4. How is the freedom won from the malice of the monster symbolized as?
5. Over time, what has happened to core myths, according to Campbell?
6. What occurs in "Freedom to Live"?
7. Summarize "The Universal Round."
8. What are some of the symbols Campbell points out in the Christian sacrament of baptism?
9. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
10. Summarize "Within Space - Life."
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)