|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As human society and culture evolves, so do its mythic ___________.
2. Death can be just as dangerous as the journey into _________.
3. Whose example of centuries long sleep does Campbell use?
(a) Sleeping Beauty
(b) Snow White
(c) Rip Van Winkle
4. The man-hero's third task is to _________ the destined power of his spirit.
(a) Ask for
(b) Read about
(c) Believe in
5. What kind of element is the water of the ritual in #125?
(a) Both genders
Short Answer Questions
1. About Mary: "....her womb, remaining fallow as the primordial abyss, summons to itself...the original power that fertilized the _______."
2. It can be dangerous to to interpret myths solely as _______ of historical events and circumstances.
3. The process through which humanity emerges and returns to that from which it emerged is called the ______ cycle.
4. What does Campbell attempt to show relates within mythology?
5. On which ritual from Christianity does Campbell focus his efforts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell stress about the idea of symbols?
2. Summarize "Within Space - Life."
3. Summarize "The Virgin Birth - Mother Universe."
4. Summarize "Out of the Void - Space."
5. What does the "Shape-shifter" point out?
6. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
7. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
8. What does Campbell say happens when the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science?
9. What is the "universal round"?
10. What is the end of the life in the universe portrayed as in this section?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)