|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over time, the ______ myths have evolved to incorporate symbols and meanings more relevant to those who hear them.
2. Campbell suggests that humanity has become too ___________ and too individualistic to have room for that which transcends that physical world.
3. What is the second effect of the cosmogonic emanations of universal power?
(a) Energy buildup
(b) Production of life
(c) Movement into spiritual understanding
(d) Framing of the world stage of space
4. The first task of the man-hero is to break down the ____________ to union with God.
(a) Stereotypical obstacles
(b) Physical barriers
(c) Familial discontent
(d) Emotional barriers
5. When myths are reinterpreted from older times to modern times, the link between the perspectives is ___________.
(d) Made clear
Short Answer Questions
1. What can not be directly compared to dream?
2. Symbols are only the ________ of communication.
3. Separation of ___________ is a universal symbol for the separation from the spirit.
4. What is the term for one emergence, one living, and one return?
5. It can be dangerous to to interpret myths solely as _______ of historical events and circumstances.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell stress about the idea of symbols?
2. What does Campbell suggest every individual member of the human race has a responsibility to do?
3. Summarize "The Crossing of the Return Threshold."
4. Summarize "Out of the Void - Space."
5. Summarize "The Virgin Birth - Mother Universe."
6. Describe the content of "Childhood of the Human Hero."
7. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
8. What does the "Shape-shifter" point out?
9. What are some of the symbols Campbell points out in the Christian sacrament of baptism?
10. What does Campbell say happens when the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)