|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of baptism, at least on its surface?
(a) Help the church recognize that person
(b) Bring person into the church
(c) Wash away original sin
(d) Create a fresh start
2. What is the second effect of the cosmogonic emanations of universal power?
(a) Energy buildup
(b) Framing of the world stage of space
(c) Movement into spiritual understanding
(d) Production of life
3. In reference to the Hero, Campbell writes, "...the Law lives in him with his unreserved __________."
4. Before emergence, spirit was all _______.
(a) An illusion
(d) The same
5. What is the simple answer to why the Hero would want to return to a world after his journey?
(a) There is no simple answer.
(b) It's impossible to avoid.
(c) It's necessary.
(d) It's part of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The aim is not to _______, but to realize that one is, that essence."
2. As human society and culture evolves, so do its mythic ___________.
3. The first task of the man-hero is to break down the ____________ to union with God.
4. The world ________ is also _______.
5. What is one way, Campbell suggests, humans can use to separate themselves from their outer layers and connect with spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the symbols Campbell points out in the Christian sacrament of baptism?
2. Describe the content of "Childhood of the Human Hero."
3. Summarize "The Matrix of Destiny."
4. What does Campbell suggest every individual member of the human race has a responsibility to do?
5. What does the "Shape-shifter" point out?
6. What is death portrayed as, according to Campbell?
7. Over time, what has happened to core myths, according to Campbell?
8. Why can't myths be compared directly to dreams?
9. Summarize "Within Space - Life."
10. Summarize "Transformations of the Hero" and "The Primordial Hero and the Human."
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)