|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the first threshold, what immediately happens to the Hero?
(a) He is swallowed.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He ends his journey.
(d) He becomes reborn.
2. What is the ultimate boon for the Hero?
(a) Connection with the eternal
(b) The struggle of internal thought
(c) The perilous journey
(d) Knowledge of all things
3. What is this transcendent source worthy of, according to Campbell?
4. What is a narrative form anchored in the pain and fear of that ultimate truth of death?
5. "______ is the secret opening through which the inexhaustible energies of the cosmos pour into human cultural manifestation."
(a) World navel
6. By what are the Hero's first steps into the new world blocked?
(a) Spiritual doubt
(b) A wall
(c) A Guardian
7. Who is the author of the quote at the beginning of this section?
(a) Jonathan Edwards
(b) Constance Gertrude
(c) Jon Rutheford
(d) Isaiah Berlin
8. Whose attempt to rescue his sister from the underworld failed, causing him to be pursued by demons?
(b) Sang Lu
(c) Rhi Bung
9. What kind of myth is the story of the man who dreamed of killing his father and taking care of his mother?
10. The Hero's journey begins by "descending, either intentionally or unintentionally, into the crooked lanes of his own spiritual _________."
11. Who gently kissed an old crone and was rewarded for his efforts?
12. The quest for the ultimate boon manifests in archetypes because humanity craves ______.
13. What is the center, a source from which all truth flows?
(a) The void
(b) The universe
(c) The blackness
(d) World navel
14. The Hero must accomplish the task of #77 or he will face ________.
(c) A bigger threat than the God
(d) Enlightenment too soon
15. "A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of ___________..."
(a) Ethereal madness
(b) Stark reality
(c) Supernatural wonder
(d) Painful suffering
Short Answer Questions
1. What has summoned the Hero and transferred his spiritual center of gravity from within the pale of his society to a zone unknown?
2. What tends to happen when the Hero initially refuses the call?
3. What is the connection that is actually being sought?
4. Which section deals with the theories about the importance and/or presence of myth in human culture, society, and individual experience?
5. The Hero may or may not be aided by a __________ or other individuals along the way.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)