|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of myth is the story of the man who dreamed of killing his father and taking care of his mother?
2. Which god drove people mad if they gave him any trouble?
3. Who is the author of the quote at the beginning of this section?
(a) Constance Gertrude
(b) Jonathan Edwards
(c) Jon Rutheford
(d) Isaiah Berlin
4. If a Hero is a young woman, the young woman's love and transcendent ____ brings about transformation.
5. What might the Hero be known as?
(a) The answer to the world's problems
(b) The classic protagonist
(c) The ultimate archetype
(d) The weak child
6. What does Campbell say the archetypal image of God might be?
(a) The ogre father
(b) The teacher
(c) The dark mystery
(d) The frog prince
7. What is a celebration and manifestation of the joyous truth that exists alongside the pain of life?
(a) Blessing energy
(d) Prankster actions
8. The encounter with the Father is a symbol of ________.
9. Who is both of the world and of the spirit, both male and female?
10. What does the Hero have to do when he returns from his journey?
(b) Share his experience
(d) He doesn't return
11. By what are the Hero's first steps into the new world blocked?
(a) A wall
(c) A Guardian
(d) Spiritual doubt
12. How might the Father figure be described?
(a) All vengeful
(b) Without description
(c) All loving
13. What is the center, a source from which all truth flows?
(a) The blackness
(b) World navel
(c) The void
(d) The universe
14. The Hero must get rid of his own sense of ____ in order to become cleansed and humbled.
(a) The world
(b) His life
15. Who was in love with Jason and thus helped him in his quest?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Oriental philosophy corresponds with the idea of duality?
2. Which hero was swallowed by a giant monster?
3. Comedy and tragedy are both aspects of the same experience of _______.
4. What is a narrative form anchored in the pain and fear of that ultimate truth of death?
5. All things, moral and ________, beautiful and ________ emerge from this central area.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)