|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse describe his experience with depression and what he did to overcome it?
2. What did Hesse work on from 1931 to 1942?
3. How was "Narcissus and Goldmund" received?
4. What was it about Ninon that made Hesse irritable?
5. What does the city represent in "Steppenwolf"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prizes did Hesse win in 1946?
2. Describe Hesse's travels in 1924 and 1925.
3. What did Hesse portray in 'Narcissus and Goldmund'?
4. Describe the novel "Rosshalde."
5. How did Hesse react to the end of the war in Europe?
6. Describe the novel "Siddhartha."
7. What does Freedman say Hesse represented with "Steppenwolf"?
8. Describe the period known as "Hesse's exile."
9. What did the Hesses celebrate at the end of 1945?
10. What physical problems was Hesse having at the end of the 1920s and the beginning of the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hesse's relationship with the military? He finished his exams in order to reduce the length of his military service. Where else are his feelings about the military in evidence? Why did he feel compelled to withhold his feelings about World War I? How did he arrive at his pacifism, and of what did his pacifism consist?
Essay Topic 2
Hesse's parents were Pietist missionaries. What was Pietism, and what role did it play in Hesse's development as a person and as a writer? What values did he get from Pietism? What values did he get by rebelling against it? Is Hesse a Pietist writer?
Essay Topic 3
Hesse's parents were missionaries, and they sent him away to a mission school at six because he was judged too difficult to deal with. What is the role of missionary work in Hesse's life and work? What values did he learn from his parents' missionary work? What values did he learn by fleeing from it or rebelling against it?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)