|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse marry Ninon?
2. What represents the psyche in "The Glass Bead Game"?
3. Who was Ninon Dolbin?
4. Where was Hesse's poem "On Toward Peace" published in altered form?
5. What do Narcissus and Goldmund represent, in Freedman's account of "Narcissus and Goldmund"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was "Steppenwolf" stylistically new for Hesse?
2. Describe "Piktor's Metamorphosis" and Hesse's later writing.
3. What did the Hesses celebrate at the end of 1945?
4. Describe Hesse's last years and death.
5. What strains was Hesse feeling after he wrote "Siddhartha"?
6. What did Hesse portray in 'Narcissus and Goldmund'?
7. What prizes did Hesse win in 1946?
8. How did Hesse's marriage to Ruth progress?
9. Describe the progress of Hesse's relationship with Ninon Dolbin.
10. What physical problems was Hesse having at the end of the 1920s and the beginning of the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of Hesse's books is most important in his life? Why is it the book that had the greatest effect on Hesse as a man and as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
What nationality is Hesse? In what aspects of his life did a certain nationality hold certain meaning? In what ways does Hesse transcend nationality? With which nationalities did Hesse identify? How did he use his nationality? What did identifying with a nationality do for him? What did escaping from nationality do for him?
Essay Topic 3
How has Hesse been received, and how has his popularity waxed and waned over time, and in different countries? What parts of his work have been responsible for his popularity? What parts for his unpopularity? What aspect of of movements in Western culture made Hesse's work attractive and popular? What did people see in his work?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)