|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused stress and illness for Hesse?
2. What illness did Hesse suffer from in Bern?
3. What happened to Ninon in 1937?
4. Where did Hesse describe his experience with depression and what he did to overcome it?
5. Why did Hesse decide not to make any public statements about German politics in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hesse supporting himself and his family?
2. What strains was Hesse feeling after he wrote "Siddhartha"?
3. How did Hesse react to the critic who attacked him in Germany?
4. Describe the novel "Rosshalde."
5. Describe Hesse's travels in 1928-1929.
6. What prizes did Hesse win in 1946?
7. Describe Hesse's last years and death.
8. How did Hesse react to the end of the war in Europe?
9. Describe Hesse's run-in with the Stuttgart paper that misprinted his poem.
10. Describe the novel "Siddhartha."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hesse's life as a reader. Which authors drew him? Which authors did he return to again and again? What did his favorite books do for him? From whom did Hesse learn to write? Which authors did he write his books to? Whose influences did he struggle to elude? Whose influences did he fail to escape from?
Essay Topic 2
How has Hesse been received, and how has his popularity waxed and waned over time, and in different countries? What parts of his work have been responsible for his popularity? What parts for his unpopularity? What aspect of of movements in Western culture made Hesse's work attractive and popular? What did people see in his work?
Essay Topic 3
What role did rebellion play in Hesse's life and development as a writer? How important was his brother's running away to music school? What fights did he fight by rebelling, and what fights did he avoid by running away? To what was he opposed? To what was he drawn? How did he learn to use fight or flight as strategies for getting what he wanted? How did these strategies change as he matured?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)