|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hesse win in 1946?
2. When did Hesse die?
3. Which book resulted from Hesse's experiences of 1923?
4. Who was Ninon Dolbin?
5. Whom did Hesse fall afoul of by protesting the alteration of his poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the deteriorating state of things in Germany have on Hesse?
2. What strains was Hesse feeling after he wrote "Siddhartha"?
3. Describe Hesse's travels in 1924 and 1925.
4. What physical problems was Hesse having at the end of the 1920s and the beginning of the 1930s?
5. Describe the novel "Rosshalde."
6. Who was Ruth Wenger?
7. What does Freedman say Hesse represented with "Steppenwolf"?
8. What was Hesse's experience with psychoanalysis?
9. Describe the period known as "Hesse's exile."
10. Describe the novel "Siddhartha."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hesse develop as a novelist? What trajectory do his novels trace? What events in his personal life influenced this trajectory? What did he learn as a novelist, and how do his novels reflect an evolution as he acquired various techniques in his writing?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short review of Freedman's biography of Hesse. What were Freedman's methods in writing the biography, and what were the biography's strengths and weaknesses? What did Freedman leave out or skip over? What could have been treated in greater detail?
Essay Topic 3
What role did rebellion play in Hesse's life and development as a writer? How important was his brother's running away to music school? What fights did he fight by rebelling, and what fights did he avoid by running away? To what was he opposed? To what was he drawn? How did he learn to use fight or flight as strategies for getting what he wanted? How did these strategies change as he matured?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)