|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse's father meet his wife?
2. What circles was Hesse running in when he took his job after Tubingen?
3. When were Hesse and Maria married?
4. What book did Hesse publish in 1911 that was based on his travels to India?
5. What was Hesse's work in Tubingen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Hesse begin to be successful as a writer?
2. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
3. What was Hesse's social life like in Basel?
4. Under what circumstances did Hesse ultimately marry his first wife?
5. With what nationality did Hesse identify?
6. When were Hesse's sons born?
7. Describe Hesse's marriage with Maria.
8. Where did Hesse meet his first wife?
9. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
10. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Hesse been received, and how has his popularity waxed and waned over time, and in different countries? What parts of his work have been responsible for his popularity? What parts for his unpopularity? What aspect of of movements in Western culture made Hesse's work attractive and popular? What did people see in his work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of other writers and artists in Hesse's life and in his development as a writer. What role did the circle of writers in Tubingen play for him? What did he get from their company? What did he give to that circle? What connections did he make? How did Hesse play the role of "writer" differently with his writer friends than he played the role with his family?
Essay Topic 3
What role did rebellion play in Hesse's life and development as a writer? How important was his brother's running away to music school? What fights did he fight by rebelling, and what fights did he avoid by running away? To what was he opposed? To what was he drawn? How did he learn to use fight or flight as strategies for getting what he wanted? How did these strategies change as he matured?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)