|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
2. How did Hesse react to his loneliness?
3. Why did Herr Bernoulli refuse his daughter's hand to Hesse?
4. Where did Hesse begin to develop a social life in Tubingen?
5. What relation did Hesse's work have with his friendships?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were Hesse's sons born?
2. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
3. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
4. Describe Hesse's marriage with Maria.
5. What circles did Hesse enter in Tubingen?
6. Describe the importance of spas and cures in Hesse's life.
7. What was Hesse's early childhood like?
8. Where would Hesse run away from? Where would he run away to?
9. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
10. What was Hesse's arrival in Tubingen like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hesse moved around a great deal, never settling in one place for very long, not until later in life. Why did Hesse move? What made him resist moving? Would you characterize him as a wanderer, a vagrant, an explorer, or an exile? What was he always looking for in a home? Where was he most at home?
Essay Topic 2
What nationality is Hesse? In what aspects of his life did a certain nationality hold certain meaning? In what ways does Hesse transcend nationality? With which nationalities did Hesse identify? How did he use his nationality? What did identifying with a nationality do for him? What did escaping from nationality do for him?
Essay Topic 3
How has Hesse been received, and how has his popularity waxed and waned over time, and in different countries? What parts of his work have been responsible for his popularity? What parts for his unpopularity? What aspect of of movements in Western culture made Hesse's work attractive and popular? What did people see in his work?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)