|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
2. What relation did Hesse's work have with his friendships?
3. When was "Peter Camenzind" published?
4. How long were Hesse's work days?
5. What was Hesse's work in Tubingen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Hesse's writing come from?
2. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
3. When did Hesse begin to be successful as a writer?
4. Where did Hesse meet his first wife?
5. Describe the importance of spas and cures in Hesse's life.
6. Describe Hesse's apprenticeship.
7. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
8. How big was Hesse's family?
9. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
10. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Hesse been received, and how has his popularity waxed and waned over time, and in different countries? What parts of his work have been responsible for his popularity? What parts for his unpopularity? What aspect of of movements in Western culture made Hesse's work attractive and popular? What did people see in his work?
Essay Topic 2
What did the decision to be a writer mean for Hesse as a young man, and how did the identity of the 'writer' clarify his role and responsibilities? How did he see his job as a "writer"? What was he supposed to do? What was he supposed to avoid? Pay particular attention to his relationships with his family and their expectations for his career.
Essay Topic 3
Which of Hesse's books is most important in his life? Why is it the book that had the greatest effect on Hesse as a man and as a writer?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)