|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
2. What was Hesse's family's religion?
3. When did Hesse begin to run away from school?
4. Where did Hesse commence his studies?
5. What culture did Hesse participate in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Hesse's parents? How did they meet?
2. How does Freedman describe Hesse's childhood?
3. What was Hesse's early childhood like?
4. Describe Hesse's apprenticeship.
5. What was Hesse's social life like in Basel?
6. Under what circumstances did Hesse ultimately marry his first wife?
7. How big was Hesse's family?
8. What was Hesse's arrival in Tubingen like?
9. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
10. With what nationality did Hesse identify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hesse moved around a great deal, never settling in one place for very long, not until later in life. Why did Hesse move? What made him resist moving? Would you characterize him as a wanderer, a vagrant, an explorer, or an exile? What was he always looking for in a home? Where was he most at home?
Essay Topic 2
Hesse once tried to kill himself after he was rejected by a woman. How important was this event, both in terms of his rejection by a woman, and in terms of his failure to kill himself? How did Hesse overcome the emotions he felt as a result of these events? How did he confront them again and again over time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hesse's experience as a husband. What trajectory can you draw through his three marriages? What did his marriages teach him? What patterns are common in all three marriages? What did Hesse refuse to learn from any of his marriages? If you were speaking for his wives, what would you try to get Hesse to understand about himself as a husband?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)