|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse return to work in the year of his mother's death?
2. What relation did Hesse's work have with his friendships?
3. Where did Hesse visit his family in 1902?
4. Where did Hesse spend Christmas 1902?
5. Freedman said that the tensions in Hesse's works came from ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
2. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
3. What was Hesse's relationship with his family's values as a young man?
4. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
5. What was Hesse's health like, and how did it affect his development?
6. When were Hesse's sons born?
7. What was Hesse's early childhood like?
8. When did Hesse begin to write?
9. Describe Hesse's schooling.
10. Describe Hesse's apprenticeship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hesse's parents were Pietist missionaries. What was Pietism, and what role did it play in Hesse's development as a person and as a writer? What values did he get from Pietism? What values did he get by rebelling against it? Is Hesse a Pietist writer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of other writers and artists in Hesse's life and in his development as a writer. What role did the circle of writers in Tubingen play for him? What did he get from their company? What did he give to that circle? What connections did he make? How did Hesse play the role of "writer" differently with his writer friends than he played the role with his family?
Essay Topic 3
How important was Hesse's health, in his career as a writer and in his personal development? What did his health force him to accept? What did Hesse learn from fighting his maladies? How did his health and his struggles with his health show up in his work?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)