|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Hesse finish writing "Steppenwolf"?
(a) Early 1926.
(b) Late 1927.
(c) Late 1926.
(d) Early 1927.
2. What caused stress and illness for Hesse?
(a) Financial problems.
(b) His children.
(c) His relationship with Ruth.
(d) His marriage.
3. Which side did Hesse favor in WW I?
(a) The English.
(b) The Germans.
(c) Hesse campaigned actively against the war.
(d) Hesse remained neutral and disinterested.
4. What happened to Hesse's work in Germany as a result of Hesse's protest over the alteration of his poem?
(a) It was reviewed harshly.
(b) It dropped into obscurity.
(c) It was banned by the Americans.
(d) It was more popular than ever.
5. What happened to Ninon in 1937?
(a) She had surgery.
(b) Her parents died.
(c) She wrote a book about Hesse.
(d) Friends of hers were killed in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hesse lecturing on while he was writing "Siddhartha"?
2. What was Hesse working on in the summer of 1930?
3. What began to replace Hesse's work after "Siddhartha"?
4. Which book resulted from Hesse's experiences of 1923?
5. How does Freedman describe Hesse's lifestyle after leaving Bern?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was "Steppenwolf" stylistically new for Hesse?
2. Describe the novel "Rosshalde."
3. What strains was Hesse feeling after he wrote "Siddhartha"?
4. How did Hesse react to the end of the war in Europe?
5. Describe Hesse's last years and death.
6. How did Hesse react to the critic who attacked him in Germany?
7. What did the Hesses celebrate at the end of 1945?
8. Describe the novel "Siddhartha."
9. How did Hesse's marriage to Ruth progress?
10. What physical problems was Hesse having at the end of the 1920s and the beginning of the 1930s?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)