|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hesse decide not to make any public statements about German politics in the 1930s?
(a) He had mixed feelings about German politics.
(b) He was persuaded not to by his friends.
(c) He feared for his life.
(d) He wanted to retain his German audience.
2. Who died in 1935?
(a) Samuel Fischer.
(d) Carlo Hamelehle.
3. Which side did Hesse favor in WW I?
(a) The Germans.
(b) Hesse remained neutral and disinterested.
(c) The English.
(d) Hesse campaigned actively against the war.
4. Where would Hesse spend time with Ruth Wenger?
(a) In Carona.
(b) In Monaco.
(c) In Montagnola.
(d) In Nice.
5. In what role did "Siddhartha" put Hesse?
(c) Spiritual leader of the youth.
(d) Rebel leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the benefit of writing editorial pieces for Hesse?
2. What caused people to leave Germany in 1933?
3. Whom did Hesse fall afoul of by protesting the alteration of his poem?
4. Where did Hesse spend New Years in 1926?
5. What represents the psyche in "The Glass Bead Game"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the novel "Siddhartha."
2. What did Hesse portray in 'Narcissus and Goldmund'?
3. Describe the period when Hesse's marriage began to crumble.
4. Describe "Piktor's Metamorphosis" and Hesse's later writing.
5. What effect did the deteriorating state of things in Germany have on Hesse?
6. Describe Hesse's run-in with the Stuttgart paper that misprinted his poem.
7. Describe the progress of Hesse's relationship with Ninon Dolbin.
8. What was Hesse's experience with psychoanalysis?
9. How was Hesse supporting himself and his family?
10. What did the Hesses celebrate at the end of 1945?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)