|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hesse travel after he left his wife?
2. What did writing manage for Hesse?
(a) His doubts about his parents.
(b) Psychological crises.
(c) His financial worries.
(d) His feelings for his wives.
3. What was Hesse's relationship with Carl Jung?
(a) He reviewed Jung's books.
(b) He studied with him.
(c) Jung reviewed his books.
(d) He went into therapy with him.
4. What did Hesse write after "Siddhartha"?
(a) "Piktor's Metamorphoses."
(c) Short stories.
(d) "Peter Camenzind."
5. What part of Hesse's protest about the alteration of his poem raised ire against him?
(a) His association of Americans with war profiteers.
(b) His list of war crimes committed on both sides.
(c) His celebration of Swiss neutrality.
(d) His use of the word barbarianism.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse marry Ninon?
2. Where was the house Hesse rented in Ostermundigen located?
3. What was Hesse planning to do when he visited the spa in Baden in 1923?
4. What was Hesse working on in the summer of 1930?
5. How was "Narcissus and Goldmund" received?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "The Glass Bead Game."
2. Describe Hesse's last years and death.
3. How did Hesse react to the critic who attacked him in Germany?
4. How did Hesse's marriage to Ruth progress?
5. Describe the progress of Hesse's relationship with Ninon Dolbin.
6. How was Hesse supporting himself and his family?
7. In what ways was "Steppenwolf" stylistically new for Hesse?
8. What effect did the deteriorating state of things in Germany have on Hesse?
9. Who was Ruth Wenger?
10. Describe the impact of the Great War on Hesse.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)