|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hesse's relationship with the works he began to write in Tubingen?
(a) He incorporated them into his later work.
(b) He disowned them.
(c) He kept working on them until they sold.
(d) He burned them all.
2. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As hostile.
(b) As impregnable.
(c) As unmolested.
(d) As divided.
3. Where did Hesse work once he had royalties coming in from his published works?
(a) A factory.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) A library.
4. Hesse run away from school to __________.
5. When did Hesse learn to see a connection between art and rebellion?
(a) When his uncle married a dancer against his family's wishes.
(b) When he wanted to go to art school but was denied.
(c) When his mother left his father for an actor.
(d) When his older brother ran away to a music conservatory.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tubingen, how often did Hesse return home from his new job to visit family for holidays?
2. Hesse finished his novel "Peter Camenzind" after traveling to ___________.
3. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
4. What does Freedman say people look for in art?
5. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
2. What circles did Hesse enter in Tubingen?
3. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
4. Describe Hesse's schooling.
5. Describe Hesse's marriage with Maria.
6. Describe Hesse's apprenticeship.
7. With what nationality did Hesse identify?
8. Why was 1902 an important year for Hesse?
9. Who were Hesse's parents? How did they meet?
10. What was Hesse's social life like in Basel?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)