|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Hesse born?
2. What does Freedman say Hesse wrote about?
(a) Mystical experiences.
(c) War-time experiences.
(d) Mundane things.
3. How many siblings did Hesse have?
4. When did Hesse learn to see a connection between art and rebellion?
(a) When he wanted to go to art school but was denied.
(b) When his uncle married a dancer against his family's wishes.
(c) When his mother left his father for an actor.
(d) When his older brother ran away to a music conservatory.
5. Where did Hesse's grandfather marry his wife?
(a) In Switzerland.
(b) In England.
(c) In India.
(d) In South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hesse react to his loneliness?
2. Hesse's parents raised him for ___________.
3. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
4. Hesse did NOT suffer from _____________.
5. What was Hesse's parents' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circles did Hesse enter in Tubingen?
2. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
3. What was Hesse's health like, and how did it affect his development?
4. Where did Hesse meet his first wife?
5. Where did Hesse's writing come from?
6. What is Freedman's stance with regard to the relationship between Hesse's life and works?
7. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
8. How big was Hesse's family?
9. Why was 1902 an important year for Hesse?
10. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)