|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened immediately before Hesse tried to kill himself?
(a) He was kicked out of school.
(b) He entered his father's business.
(c) He began school.
(d) He was rejected by a woman at a spa.
2. How did Hesse feel in Tubingen?
(a) Lonely and isolated.
(b) Productive and happy.
(c) Messianic and ill.
(d) Confused and desperate.
3. What culture did Hesse participate in?
(a) Industrial culture.
(b) Victorian culture.
(c) Counter culture.
(d) Imperial culture.
4. What medical event took place in 1909 for Hesse?
(a) His appendix was removed.
(b) He had malaria.
(c) He was hospitalized for depression.
(d) He injured his back.
5. What was Hesse's family's religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse work once he had royalties coming in from his published works?
2. Where was Hesse born?
3. Hesse finished his novel "Peter Camenzind" after traveling to ___________.
4. When were Hesse and Maria married?
5. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hesse's arrival in Tubingen like?
2. What did Hesse get from his trip to India in 1911?
3. When did Hesse begin to write?
4. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
5. What does Freedman say about Hesse's popularity over the years?
6. When did Hesse begin to be successful as a writer?
7. Describe the importance of spas and cures in Hesse's life.
8. Why was 1902 an important year for Hesse?
9. What was Hesse's early childhood like?
10. How big was Hesse's family?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)