|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hesse's upbringing was influenced by the cultures of __________________.
(a) Switzerland and France.
(b) Italy and Germany.
(c) South Africa and Switzerland.
(d) India and Germany.
2. When did Hesse learn to see a connection between art and rebellion?
(a) When he wanted to go to art school but was denied.
(b) When his uncle married a dancer against his family's wishes.
(c) When his older brother ran away to a music conservatory.
(d) When his mother left his father for an actor.
3. Where did Hesse's father meet his wife?
(a) In his father's business.
(b) In her father's business.
(c) On a religious retreat.
(d) In his father's publishing house.
4. When did Hesse begin to run away from school?
(a) In his last year.
(b) After a few days.
(c) In his second year.
(d) Within a few months.
5. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse take work after Tubingen?
2. Why did Herr Bernoulli refuse his daughter's hand to Hesse?
3. Where did Hesse spend Christmas 1902?
4. Where did Hesse commence his studies?
5. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
2. What was Hesse's health like, and how did it affect his development?
3. With what nationality did Hesse identify?
4. When did Hesse begin to write?
5. Describe Hesse's move to Basel.
6. What was Hesse's social life like in Basel?
7. Where did Hesse's writing come from?
8. Who were Hesse's parents? How did they meet?
9. What was Hesse's relationship with his family's values as a young man?
10. How did Hesse's style change after his initial success?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)