|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose rule did Hesse grow up under?
(b) Queen Victoria.
(d) Czar Alexander II.
2. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
3. Why did Hesse change jobs for less money around 1901?
(a) To repair his reputation.
(b) To live closer to home.
(c) To spend more time writing.
(d) To be closer to a woman.
4. What was Hesse's first child's name?
5. How did Hesse handle his mother's death in 1902?
(a) He had an emotional breakdown.
(b) He delighted in the news.
(c) He did not attend the funeral.
(d) He grieved with his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
2. Where did Hesse begin to visit when he took a new job after Tubingen?
3. What did Hesse write while waiting to marry?
4. When did Hesse arrive in Tubingen?
5. Why did Hesse travel to the spa at Badenweiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Hesse begin to write?
2. Where would Hesse run away from? Where would he run away to?
3. What was Hesse's early childhood like?
4. Describe Hesse's schooling.
5. What does Freedman say about artists' lives, at the beginning of the prologue?
6. What was Hesse's relationship with his family's values as a young man?
7. Why was 1902 an important year for Hesse?
8. Where did Hesse's writing come from?
9. How did Hesse's style change after his initial success?
10. Who were Hesse's parents? How did they meet?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)