|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hesse win in 1946?
(a) The Gottfried Keller Priz.
(b) The Nobel Prize for Literature.
(c) The Bauernfeld Prize.
(d) The Pulitzer Prize for Literature.
2. What happened when Hesse was called fro duty in 1915?
(a) He failed the physical.
(b) He entered service but never returned from his first leave.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He got his family to hire a lawyer to get him out of his service.
3. What did Hesse find attractive about the place where he eventually settled after leaving Bern?
(a) The cultural life.
(b) Its atmosphere.
(c) The political stability.
(d) The proximity to his wife.
4. How was "Siddhartha" received?
(a) Critics lambasted it.
(b) Readers rejected it.
(c) It was accepted, and its following grew over the years.
(d) Critics lionized it.
5. What was it about Ninon that made Hesse irritable?
(a) Her absence.
(b) Her taste.
(c) Her whims.
(d) Her ideas.
6. Who was Hesse lecturing on while he was writing "Siddhartha"?
7. Where would Hesse spend time with Ruth Wenger?
(a) In Monaco.
(b) In Nice.
(c) In Carona.
(d) In Montagnola.
8. What did Hesse realize about his problems in 1922?
(a) They were mostly financial.
(b) They resulted from actual illness.
(c) They were imaginary.
(d) They were primarily psychological.
9. What gave Hesse difficulties as he got older?
(a) His eyesight.
(b) His digestion.
(c) His memory.
(d) His appendix.
10. How did Hesse's German audience change during the war?
(a) He fell into obscurity because his work was not relevant to the war.
(b) His works were banned.
(c) His work was endorsed by the Nazis.
(d) A devoted underground read him.
11. What happened in Hesse's family in 1916?
(a) His mother died.
(b) His father died.
(c) His son died.
(d) He and his wife separated.
12. What was Hesse's last novel?
(b) "The Glass Bead Game."
(c) "Journey to the East."
(d) "Narcissus and Goldmund."
13. How does Freedman describe Hesse's lifestyle after leaving Bern?
(a) Monastic but productive.
(b) Aimless and uncomfortable.
(c) Liberated and debased.
(d) Sensational and insincere.
14. What did Hesse and Ninon celebrate at the end of 1945?
(a) Hesse's 70th birthday.
(b) The end of the war.
(c) Hesse's Nobel Prize.
(d) Ninon's 50th birthday.
15. With whom did Hesse break because of politics?
(a) Hugo Ball.
(b) Samuel Fischer.
(c) Carlo Hamelehle.
(d) Ludwig Finckh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse eventually settle after leaving Bern?
2. What illness did Hesse suffer from in Bern?
3. What caused stress and illness for Hesse?
4. How did Hesse try to clarify "Siddhartha"?
5. Who was Ruth Wenger?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)