|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hesse travel after he left his wife?
2. How did Hesse's German audience change during the war?
(a) His work was endorsed by the Nazis.
(b) A devoted underground read him.
(c) His works were banned.
(d) He fell into obscurity because his work was not relevant to the war.
3. How did Hesse try to clarify "Siddhartha"?
(a) With a German fairy tale.
(b) With a personal memoir.
(c) With a surreal book of dreams.
(d) With a book of criticism.
4. Beginning in 1926, what did Hesse do to overcome his depression?
(a) Attended masked balls.
(b) Used drugs.
5. In what role did "Siddhartha" put Hesse?
(a) Spiritual leader of the youth.
(b) Rebel leader.
6. What caused stress and illness for Hesse?
(a) His marriage.
(b) His relationship with Ruth.
(c) Financial problems.
(d) His children.
7. What did Hesse win in 1946?
(a) The Nobel Prize for Literature.
(b) The Gottfried Keller Priz.
(c) The Bauernfeld Prize.
(d) The Pulitzer Prize for Literature.
8. What did Hesse's travels do for his problems?
(a) They did not solve them.
(b) They introduced him to patrons who helped him.
(c) They compounded them with new affairs and money problems.
(d) They gave him spiritual peace but drained his finances.
9. What do Narcissus and Goldmund represent, in Freedman's account of "Narcissus and Goldmund"?
(a) Past and future.
(b) Nature and language.
(c) Male and female principles.
(d) Two halves of a divided self.
10. What did Hesse win in August 1936?
(a) The Gottfried Keller Prize.
(b) The Frankfurt Goethe Prize.
(c) The Bauernfeld Prize.
(d) The Nobel Prize for Literature.
11. Where did Hesse spend the summer of 1945?
12. What does Freedman say the period of Hesse's renewed writing and painting after separating from his wife is called?
(a) Hesse's third new life.
(b) Hesse's renewal.
(c) Hesse's transition.
(d) Hesse's renaissance.
13. When did Hesse finish writing "Steppenwolf"?
(a) Late 1926.
(b) Early 1926.
(c) Late 1927.
(d) Early 1927.
14. Whom was Hesse with on his fiftieth birthday?
(a) Maria and his children.
(b) Elsie Bodmer.
(d) Ninon and his friend Hugo Ball.
15. What was the subject of Hesse's book "Rosshalde"?
(a) The Hesses' lives in 1912-13.
(b) Hesse's children's birth.
(c) Hesse's unhappy marriage.
(d) Hesse's childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gave Hesse difficulties as he got older?
2. What did Hesse realize about his problems in 1922?
3. What was Hesse working on in the summer of 1930?
4. What happened to Hesse's royalties in 1935?
5. Which side did Hesse favor in WW I?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)