|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hesse's relationship with Carl Jung?
(a) He went into therapy with him.
(b) Jung reviewed his books.
(c) He studied with him.
(d) He reviewed Jung's books.
2. How does Freedman describe Hesse's work on "Siddhartha"?
(a) As a search for meaning.
(b) As a catharsis.
(c) As a form of therapy.
(d) As a spiritual experience.
3. What did Hesse find attractive about the place where he eventually settled after leaving Bern?
(a) The proximity to his wife.
(b) The political stability.
(c) The cultural life.
(d) Its atmosphere.
4. When did Hesse marry Ninon?
5. What happened when Hesse began to try to paint his dreams?
(a) His books became more popular than ever.
(b) His marriage came apart.
(c) He broke with many of his old friends.
(d) His books ceased to be reviewed favorably.
6. What was the benefit of writing editorial pieces for Hesse?
(a) He became politically active.
(b) He educated himself.
(c) He achieved fame for it.
(d) He got income.
7. What represents the psyche in "The Glass Bead Game"?
(a) Mathematical symbols.
(b) Female characters.
(c) A dialogue between lovers.
(d) Colors and shapes.
8. What was Hesse's last novel?
(a) "Narcissus and Goldmund."
(c) "Journey to the East."
(d) "The Glass Bead Game."
9. Where did Hesse describe his experience with depression and what he did to overcome it?
(a) In "Steppenwolf."
(b) In his letters to Maria.
(c) In essays.
(d) In his book reviews.
10. What was Hesse planning to do when he visited the spa in Baden in 1923?
(a) Divorce his wife.
(b) Marry Ruth.
(c) Visit India.
(d) Leave Europe.
11. What did Hesse write after "Siddhartha"?
(b) Short stories.
(c) "Peter Camenzind."
(d) "Piktor's Metamorphoses."
12. Where did Hesse spend the summer of 1945?
13. When did Hesse die?
14. What did Hesse do for escape while Ruth's father was dying?
(a) Studied myths and religion.
(b) Studied medicine.
(c) Went to concerts.
15. Hesse ultimately died of _____________.
(a) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What began to replace Hesse's work after "Siddhartha"?
2. Who was Hesse spending his time with by 1928?
3. What caused people to leave Germany in 1933?
4. What did Hesse win in August 1936?
5. What happened to Hesse when the Great War began in 1914?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)