|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
2. Where did Hesse's grandfather marry his wife?
(a) In South Africa.
(b) In India.
(c) In England.
(d) In Switzerland.
3. When did Hesse return to work in the year of his mother's death?
4. When was interest in Hesse's work revived?
5. What was beginning to happen in 1901, when Hesse became depressed?
(a) His work was consuming him.
(b) His work stopped coming to him.
(c) His work was censored.
(d) His work was published.
6. Where did Hesse meet Herr Bernoulli?
(a) Through his music circle.
(b) Through his publisher.
(c) Through the bookstore.
(d) Through his parents.
7. Hesse run away from school to __________.
8. What reason does Freedman give for Hesse's choice of subject matter?
(a) Hesse was looking for a sense of self.
(b) Hesse was trying to prophesy a better future.
(c) Hesse was trying to purge a sense of inherited guilt.
(d) Hesse was trying to unravel the mystery of his birth.
9. What culture did Hesse participate in?
(a) Imperial culture.
(b) Counter culture.
(c) Victorian culture.
(d) Industrial culture.
10. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As impregnable.
(b) As hostile.
(c) As unmolested.
(d) As divided.
11. How was Hesse seen by his parents from early childhood?
(a) As placid.
(b) As mercurial.
(c) As intractable.
(d) As enigmatic.
12. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
(a) Bad heart.
(b) Flat feet.
(c) Poor eyesight.
13. What happened immediately before Hesse tried to kill himself?
(a) He entered his father's business.
(b) He began school.
(c) He was rejected by a woman at a spa.
(d) He was kicked out of school.
14. How did Hesse feel about his novel "Gertrud?"
(a) He felt it was his best work yet.
(b) He felt it was not as strong as his other work.
(c) He knew it would be misunderstood.
(d) He felt nervous about having taken risks.
15. What group did Hesse's work appeal to?
(a) The Youth Movement.
(b) The Naturists.
(c) The Futurists.
(d) The Modernists.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse begin to run away from school?
2. Where did Hesse commence his studies?
3. Hesse's parents raised him for ___________.
4. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
5. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)