|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
2. Where did Hesse meet Herr Bernoulli?
(a) Through the bookstore.
(b) Through his parents.
(c) Through his publisher.
(d) Through his music circle.
3. What was Hesse's first child's name?
4. Where did Hesse's grandfather marry his wife?
(a) In England.
(b) In India.
(c) In Switzerland.
(d) In South Africa.
5. Where did Hesse visit his family in 1902?
6. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
(a) Being lost at a market.
(b) Being lifted to a mountain vista.
(c) Nearly drowning in the bathtub.
(d) Seeing a shooting star.
7. Where did Hesse take work after Tubingen?
8. What was Hesse's family's religion?
9. When was Hesse born?
10. What did Hesse do with friends Hans Drach and Heinrich Jennen?
(a) Rented a flat.
(b) Recited poetry.
(c) Produced a play.
11. Where did Hesse spend Christmas 1902?
(b) The Alps.
(d) Black Forest.
12. Where did Hesse's father meet his wife?
(a) In his father's publishing house.
(b) On a religious retreat.
(c) In her father's business.
(d) In his father's business.
13. How long were Hesse's work days?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Ten hours.
(d) Six hours.
14. Where was Hesse born?
15. Hesse did NOT suffer from _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was interest in Hesse's work revived?
2. Where was Hesse apprenticed before he was brought home?
3. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
4. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
5. Why did Herr Bernoulli refuse his daughter's hand to Hesse?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)