|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long were Hesse's work days?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Eight hours.
2. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
3. What does Freedman say about artists at the beginning of his biography of Hesse?
(a) They expose themselves in their work.
(b) They are always searching for themselves.
(c) They hide behind masks.
(d) They always avoid confronting their true selves.
4. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As hostile.
(b) As divided.
(c) As impregnable.
(d) As unmolested.
5. How did Hesse feel in Tubingen?
(a) Productive and happy.
(b) Confused and desperate.
(c) Lonely and isolated.
(d) Messianic and ill.
6. When were Hesse and Maria married?
7. What cultures are blended in Hesse's writing?
(a) Alsatian and German.
(b) Austrian and Italian.
(c) German and Swiss.
(d) Swiss and French.
8. For what reason was Hesse determined to be an artist?
(a) His mother's inspiration.
(b) His father's example.
(c) His brother's failure.
(d) He wanted to rebel against his father.
9. Hesse did NOT suffer from _____________.
10. Where was Hesse apprenticed before he was brought home?
(a) To a lawyer.
(b) To a missionary.
(c) To a factory.
(d) To a bookseller.
11. How did Hesse's income change in his new job?
(a) It increased slightly.
(b) It doubled.
(c) It declined.
(d) It decreased slightly.
12. What happened to Hesse's career in 1902?
(a) He was more and more widely published.
(b) He was published for the first time.
(c) He was getting frustrated with all the rejection.
(d) He was getting famous.
13. After Tubingen, how often did Hesse return home from his new job to visit family for holidays?
14. What novel was Hesse finishing when he returned to work after his mother's death?
(a) Peter Camenzind.
(b) Hermann Lauscher.
15. Where did Hesse's grandfather marry his wife?
(a) In South Africa.
(b) In England.
(c) In Switzerland.
(d) In India.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse begin to run away from school?
2. Where did Hesse begin to visit when he took a new job after Tubingen?
3. What was Hesse's first child's name?
4. What does Freedman say Hesse wrote about?
5. What was beginning to happen in 1901, when Hesse became depressed?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)