|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Herr Bernoulli refuse his daughter's hand to Hesse?
(a) He didn't think Hesse could support her.
(b) He disliked Hesse's parents for their religion.
(c) He thought Hesse was insincere.
(d) He didn't trust Hesse.
2. Freedman said that the tensions in Hesse's works came from ________________.
(a) The conflicts in the air during Hesse's times.
(b) Traumatic experiences Hesse had in childhood.
(c) Conflicts between Hesse and his parents.
(d) Conflicting impulses in Hesse's life.
3. Where did Hesse take work after Tubingen?
4. Where was Hesse apprenticed before he was brought home?
(a) To a bookseller.
(b) To a missionary.
(c) To a lawyer.
(d) To a factory.
5. What was the name of the periodical to which Hesse contributed around the time of his first child's birth?
(b) The Times.
(c) South Germany.
6. Where did Hesse visit his family in 1902?
7. What reason does Freedman give for Hesse's choice of subject matter?
(a) Hesse was trying to prophesy a better future.
(b) Hesse was trying to unravel the mystery of his birth.
(c) Hesse was looking for a sense of self.
(d) Hesse was trying to purge a sense of inherited guilt.
8. What did Hesse write while waiting to marry?
(a) Biographical sketches.
(c) "Beneath the Wheel."
(d) "Peter Camenzind."
9. How does Freedman describe Hesse's marriage?
(a) Deeply content.
(c) Happy enough.
(d) Not happy.
10. For what reason was Hesse determined to be an artist?
(a) His brother's failure.
(b) His father's example.
(c) He wanted to rebel against his father.
(d) His mother's inspiration.
11. Where did Hesse meet Herr Bernoulli?
(a) Through his publisher.
(b) Through his parents.
(c) Through his music circle.
(d) Through the bookstore.
12. What family trait does Freedman say Hesse seems to have inherited?
(a) Mental illness.
13. What was Hesse's family's religion?
14. Where did Hesse begin to visit when he took a new job after Tubingen?
(a) His parents' house.
(b) The Royal Palaces.
(c) Art museums.
(d) His aunt's house.
15. When were Hesse and Maria married?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Peter Camenzind" published?
2. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
3. When did Hesse arrive in Tubingen?
4. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
5. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)