|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family trait does Freedman say Hesse seems to have inherited?
(b) Mental illness.
2. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As unmolested.
(b) As hostile.
(c) As divided.
(d) As impregnable.
3. What happened immediately before Hesse tried to kill himself?
(a) He was rejected by a woman at a spa.
(b) He entered his father's business.
(c) He began school.
(d) He was kicked out of school.
4. When were Hesse and Maria married?
5. What does Freedman say Hesse wrote about?
(a) Mundane things.
(b) Mystical experiences.
(c) War-time experiences.
6. How did Hesse handle his mother's death in 1902?
(a) He delighted in the news.
(b) He grieved with his family.
(c) He did not attend the funeral.
(d) He had an emotional breakdown.
7. When did Hesse arrive in Tubingen?
8. What does Freedman say about artists at the beginning of his biography of Hesse?
(a) They are always searching for themselves.
(b) They always avoid confronting their true selves.
(c) They expose themselves in their work.
(d) They hide behind masks.
9. What happened to Hesse's career in 1902?
(a) He was more and more widely published.
(b) He was published for the first time.
(c) He was getting famous.
(d) He was getting frustrated with all the rejection.
10. What changed Herr's refusal of Hesse's proposal to marry Maria Bernoulli?
(a) A change in his family's fortunes.
(b) The success of "Peter Camenzind."
(c) The success of "Hermann Lauscher."
(d) The success of ''Steppenwolf."
11. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
12. When did Hesse learn to see a connection between art and rebellion?
(a) When his uncle married a dancer against his family's wishes.
(b) When he wanted to go to art school but was denied.
(c) When his mother left his father for an actor.
(d) When his older brother ran away to a music conservatory.
13. What was Hesse's family's religion?
14. What was Hesse's work in Tubingen?
(a) Clockmaker's apprentice.
(b) Factory worker.
(c) Law student.
(d) Bookseller's apprentice.
15. After Tubingen, how often did Hesse return home from his new job to visit family for holidays?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
2. What did Hesse begin to do in 1909?
3. Hesse run away from school to __________.
4. How long were Hesse's work days?
5. Where did Hesse meet Herr Bernoulli?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)