|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circles was Hesse running in when he took his job after Tubingen?
(a) Artists and professors.
(b) Painters and sculptors.
(c) Prostitutes and vagrants.
(d) Writers and radicals.
2. What do Narcissus and Goldmund represent, in Freedman's account of "Narcissus and Goldmund"?
(a) Two halves of a divided self.
(b) Past and future.
(c) Nature and language.
(d) Male and female principles.
3. What does Freedman say the period of Hesse's renewed writing and painting after separating from his wife is called?
(a) Hesse's renaissance.
(b) Hesse's transition.
(c) Hesse's renewal.
(d) Hesse's third new life.
4. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
(a) Bad heart.
(c) Flat feet.
(d) Poor eyesight.
5. To what does the novel "Narcissus and Goldmund" appeal, in Freedman's account?
(a) The moral sense.
(b) The religious sense.
(c) German nationalism.
(d) The senses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hesse's family's religion?
2. Where did Hesse commence his studies?
3. What novel was Hesse finishing when he returned to work after his mother's death?
4. When did Hesse arrive in Tubingen?
5. When was Hesse born?
This section contains 168 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)