|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hesse primarily working on in 1907?
(a) A novel "Gertrud."
(b) Book reviews.
(c) Raising money for his debts.
(d) Raising his small children.
2. What was Hesse's family's religion?
3. Whom did Hesse fall afoul of by protesting the alteration of his poem?
(b) The East Germans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) His family.
4. Freedman said that the tensions in Hesse's works came from ________________.
(a) The conflicts in the air during Hesse's times.
(b) Traumatic experiences Hesse had in childhood.
(c) Conflicting impulses in Hesse's life.
(d) Conflicts between Hesse and his parents.
5. For what reason was Hesse determined to be an artist?
(a) His mother's inspiration.
(b) He wanted to rebel against his father.
(c) His brother's failure.
(d) His father's example.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hesse spend Christmas 1902?
2. According to Freedman, what experience did Hesse describe in "Steppenwolf"?
3. What did Hesse learn to accept by the end of his life?
4. How did Hesse describe his conflicted feelings in his writing?
5. Why did Hesse decide not to make any public statements about German politics in the 1930s?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)