|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
2. To what does the novel "Narcissus and Goldmund" appeal, in Freedman's account?
(a) German nationalism.
(b) The senses.
(c) The moral sense.
(d) The religious sense.
3. Where was the house Hesse rented in Ostermundigen located?
(a) On an estate.
(b) On a mountainside.
(c) By a lake.
(d) Near the ocean.
4. Why was Hesse rejected from military service?
(b) Bad heart.
(c) Poor eyesight.
(d) Flat feet.
5. What novel was Hesse finishing when he returned to work after his mother's death?
(b) Hermann Lauscher.
(c) Peter Camenzind.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long were Hesse's work days?
2. What book did Hesse publish in 1911 that was based on his travels to India?
3. How did Hesse react to his loneliness?
4. What happened immediately before Hesse tried to kill himself?
5. According to Freedman, what is unique about "Steppenwolf" when compared to Hesse's other works?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)