|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was beginning to happen in 1901, when Hesse became depressed?
(a) His work was censored.
(b) His work stopped coming to him.
(c) His work was consuming him.
(d) His work was published.
2. What did Hesse begin to do in 1909?
(a) Publish criticism.
(b) Have affairs.
(d) Write poetry.
3. When was "Peter Camenzind" published?
4. How did Hesse spend his time at home when he wasn't traveling or lecturing?
(a) Alone in his study.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the taverns.
(d) With his wife and children.
5. What medical event took place in 1909 for Hesse?
(a) His appendix was removed.
(b) He was hospitalized for depression.
(c) He injured his back.
(d) He had malaria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer was not a member of the circle of Hesse's friends in Tubingen?
2. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
3. What cultures are blended in Hesse's writing?
4. What does "Narcissus and Goldmund" portray, according to Freedman?
5. When did Hesse begin to run away from school?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)