|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hesse realize about his problems in 1922?
(a) They were imaginary.
(b) They were mostly financial.
(c) They were primarily psychological.
(d) They resulted from actual illness.
2. Where was Hesse apprenticed before he was brought home?
(a) To a lawyer.
(b) To a factory.
(c) To a bookseller.
(d) To a missionary.
3. What culture did Hesse participate in?
(a) Imperial culture.
(b) Victorian culture.
(c) Industrial culture.
(d) Counter culture.
4. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As impregnable.
(b) As hostile.
(c) As divided.
(d) As unmolested.
5. When did Hesse return to work in the year of his mother's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Freedman said that the tensions in Hesse's works came from ________________.
2. When was interest in Hesse's work revived?
3. Which side did Hesse favor in WW I?
4. Where did Hesse eventually settle after leaving Bern?
5. What book did Hesse publish in 1911 that was based on his travels to India?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)