|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freedman said that the tensions in Hesse's works came from ________________.
(a) Conflicts between Hesse and his parents.
(b) Traumatic experiences Hesse had in childhood.
(c) Conflicting impulses in Hesse's life.
(d) The conflicts in the air during Hesse's times.
2. What happened to Hesse's career in 1902?
(a) He was more and more widely published.
(b) He was published for the first time.
(c) He was getting frustrated with all the rejection.
(d) He was getting famous.
3. When was Hesse born?
4. What relation did Hesse's work have with his friendships?
(a) He would use his friends as characters.
(b) He learned from his friends, but he did not write about them.
(c) He described his friendships in detail in his work.
(d) His work had nothing to do with his friends.
5. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
(a) Nearly drowning in the bathtub.
(b) Being lost at a market.
(c) Seeing a shooting star.
(d) Being lifted to a mountain vista.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tubingen, how often did Hesse return home from his new job to visit family for holidays?
2. Where did Hesse meet Herr Bernoulli?
3. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
4. Why did Hesse's parents want him to pass his degree?
5. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)