|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Freedman describe Hesse's world growing up?
(a) As divided.
(b) As hostile.
(c) As unmolested.
(d) As impregnable.
2. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
3. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
(a) Nearly drowning in the bathtub.
(b) Being lifted to a mountain vista.
(c) Being lost at a market.
(d) Seeing a shooting star.
4. Where did Hesse take work after Tubingen?
5. What changed Herr's refusal of Hesse's proposal to marry Maria Bernoulli?
(a) The success of "Hermann Lauscher."
(b) The success of "Peter Camenzind."
(c) A change in his family's fortunes.
(d) The success of ''Steppenwolf."
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hesse seen by his parents from early childhood?
2. What culture did Hesse participate in?
3. What family trait does Freedman say Hesse seems to have inherited?
4. What group did Hesse's work appeal to?
5. What was Hesse's family's religion?
This section contains 167 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)