|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, pgs. 57-87.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hesse record in special notebooks?
(a) His thoughts.
(b) His dreams.
(c) His injuries.
(d) His reading.
2. What does Freedman say Hesse wrote about?
(a) Mystical experiences.
(c) War-time experiences.
(d) Mundane things.
3. Where did Hesse's grandfather marry his wife?
(a) In England.
(b) In India.
(c) In Switzerland.
(d) In South Africa.
4. What reason does Freedman give for Hesse's choice of subject matter?
(a) Hesse was looking for a sense of self.
(b) Hesse was trying to unravel the mystery of his birth.
(c) Hesse was trying to purge a sense of inherited guilt.
(d) Hesse was trying to prophesy a better future.
5. How long were Hesse's work days?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Eight hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
2. Where was Hesse apprenticed before he was brought home?
3. Who was Hesse's closest friend in Tubingen?
4. What does Freedman say about artists at the beginning of his biography of Hesse?
5. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)