|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, pgs. 57-87.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hesse react to his loneliness?
(a) He read avidly.
(b) He traveled.
(c) He wrote adventure stories.
(d) He drank.
2. For what reason was Hesse determined to be an artist?
(a) He wanted to rebel against his father.
(b) His father's example.
(c) His brother's failure.
(d) His mother's inspiration.
3. When did Hesse arrive in Tubingen?
4. What does Freedman say is the relationship between an artist's work and his life?
(a) Hesse's life clarifies his work.
(b) Hesse's work came primarily from his imagination.
(c) Hesse's life is inscrutable.
(d) Traumas in Hesse's childhood were instrumental in his art.
5. Whose rule did Hesse grow up under?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) Czar Alexander II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hesse's earliest memory?
2. Where was Hesse born?
3. When did Hesse learn to see a connection between art and rebellion?
4. When did Hesse begin to publish his poems?
5. When did Hesse reach the height of his popularity?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)