|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, pgs. 87-102.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hesse's work in Tubingen?
(a) Law student.
(b) Clockmaker's apprentice.
(c) Bookseller's apprentice.
(d) Factory worker.
2. What does Freedman say is the relationship between an artist's work and his life?
(a) Hesse's life clarifies his work.
(b) Traumas in Hesse's childhood were instrumental in his art.
(c) Hesse's life is inscrutable.
(d) Hesse's work came primarily from his imagination.
3. Whose rule did Hesse grow up under?
(c) Czar Alexander II.
(d) Queen Victoria.
4. How old was Hesse when he decided to become a writer?
5. Where did Hesse begin to develop a social life in Tubingen?
(a) At his workplace.
(b) At the bars.
(c) At his aunt's house.
(d) At the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was beginning to happen in 1901, when Hesse became depressed?
2. What did Hesse do with friends Hans Drach and Heinrich Jennen?
3. What did Hesse begin to write in 1884?
4. What was Hesse's relationship with the works he began to write in Tubingen?
5. Which writer was not a member of the circle of Hesse's friends in Tubingen?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)