|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
2. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
3. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
4. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
5. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
2. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
3. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
4. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
6. Who is chosen to court each of the men, and how does each man treat his assigned partner?
7. Why don't her Herland people believe in life after death?
8. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
9. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
10. What are Ellador's beliefs about love-making?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's conclusion. What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? What happens to the central characters? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyse and interpret the character Jeff. What are Jeff's defining character traits? What is Gilman trying to convey in regards to the reversal of gender roles with the character Jeff? What does Jeff think of Herland?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)