|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
2. What are Over Mothers?
3. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
4. What word does Ellador ask Vandyke to define in Chapter 10?
5. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
2. How did Ellador become a forester?
3. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
4. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
5. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
6. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
7. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
8. In Chapter 11, what does Vandyke say helps minimize his desire for his wife? How does Vandyke eventually come to view his sexual desires?
9. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
10. Why does the Herland religion lack horrifying ideas? What does Ellador think about the tendency for other religions to hold onto old ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of the novel "Herland." What is the tone of the novel? What language is used to convey the tone of the novel? How does the tone of the novel help to illustrate the central themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the traditional gender roles of the Victorian era. How are these gender roles portrayed in the male characters of the novel? How do these gender roles of this era lead the men to judge the Herlandians in a different light?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)