|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Moadine say the men would have to face if they ever hurt any of the women?
2. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
3. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
4. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
5. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
2. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
3. Why did Herland come to rely on food-bearing trees for its food supply?
4. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
5. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
6. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
7. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
8. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
9. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
10. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Gilman's use of foreshadowing in "Herland." What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel and what are these examples hinting at?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Herland" as a Utopian novel. What does 'utopia' mean? Is Herland a Utopian society? Why or why not? Which characters believe it is? Which do not? Did Gilman mean to present it as such?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)