|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
2. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
3. What are Over Mothers?
4. Why does Somel say a Herland mother would allow someone else to raise her child?
5. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't her Herland people believe in life after death?
2. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
4. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
5. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
6. Following the lecture in Chapter 8, the girls form informal groups around the men. Describe how the girls react to Terry.
7. What are Ellador's beliefs about love-making?
8. How did Ellador become a forester?
9. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
10. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)