|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word is NOT included in the list of terms the Herland woman have no cultural understanding of?
2. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
3. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
4. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
5. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
2. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
3. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
5. Following the lecture in Chapter 8, the girls form informal groups around the men. Describe how the girls react to Terry.
6. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
7. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
8. How did Ellador become a forester?
9. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
10. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the gender roles in the men's society and the gender roles in Herland. How are the similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
Analyse and interpret the character Jeff. What are Jeff's defining character traits? What is Gilman trying to convey in regards to the reversal of gender roles with the character Jeff? What does Jeff think of Herland?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)