|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Herland culture has been simplified for the sake of the children?
2. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
3. What is the title of Chapter 11?
4. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
5. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
2. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
4. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
5. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
6. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
7. How did Ellador become a forester?
8. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
9. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
10. Why does the Herland religion lack horrifying ideas? What does Ellador think about the tendency for other religions to hold onto old ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of the novel "Herland." What is the tone of the novel? What language is used to convey the tone of the novel? How does the tone of the novel help to illustrate the central themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)