|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
2. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
3. To the women of Herland, what is life about?
4. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
5. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)