|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
2. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
3. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
4. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
5. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of the novel "Herland." What is the tone of the novel? What language is used to convey the tone of the novel? How does the tone of the novel help to illustrate the central themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)