|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Somel say a Herland mother would allow someone else to raise her child?
2. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
3. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
4. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
5. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of freedom in the novel "Herland." Which characters desire their freedom? Why have they been captured? How do they try to get away?
Essay Topic 2
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)