|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
2. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
3. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
5. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the traditional gender roles of the Victorian era. How are these gender roles portrayed in the male characters of the novel? How do these gender roles of this era lead the men to judge the Herlandians in a different light?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of motherhood in Herland. Why has motherhood become so significant in this society? In what ways does life in Herland evolve around the birthing and rearing of children?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)