|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
2. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
3. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Somel say a Herland mother would allow someone else to raise her child?
5. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
2. Why don't her Herland people believe in life after death?
3. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
4. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
5. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
6. Why did Herland come to rely on food-bearing trees for its food supply?
7. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
8. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
10. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the gender roles in the men's society and the gender roles in Herland. How are the similar and different?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)