|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do women prevent pregnancy in Herland?
2. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
3. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
5. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ellador become a forester?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
3. Who is chosen to court each of the men, and how does each man treat his assigned partner?
4. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
5. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
6. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
7. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
8. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
9. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
10. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)