Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
2. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
3. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
5. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
Essay Topic 3
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)