|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the women try to force the men to do in Chapter 2?
2. What is the title of one of the author's works?
3. What does Terry offer to the three girls?
4. Who names the land, "Herland"?
5. Why does Terry lament not catching the girl in the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
2. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
3. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
4. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
5. Where do the women take the explorers after they reach the town center? What happens when the men try to fight the women?
6. Why did Gilman believe it was important for women to take a role in society?
7. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
8. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
9. What is Social Darwinism?
10. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)