|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is covering the plane when the men find it?
2. What are the houses surrounded by?
3. How many women are in the room adjoining where the men woke up?
4. How are the men transported back to their prison?
5. What impresses Jeff upon waking in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the tutors tell the men when they are returned to their prison?
2. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
3. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
4. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
5. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
6. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
7. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
8. What is Social Darwinism?
9. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
10. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Gilman's use of foreshadowing in "Herland." What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel and what are these examples hinting at?
Essay Topic 3
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)