|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry think of the local games?
2. What does one woman show the men a sketch of?
3. What does Vandyck smell after the men are taken into custody in Chapter 2?
4. After the men's attempted escape, what do the women do?
5. What is Jeff's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gilman take her own life?
2. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
3. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
4. What does Terry do to prepare for the expedition?
5. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
6. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
7. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
8. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
9. Why did Gilman believe it was important for women to take a role in society?
10. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of freedom in the novel "Herland." Which characters desire their freedom? Why have they been captured? How do they try to get away?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of motherhood in Herland. Why has motherhood become so significant in this society? In what ways does life in Herland evolve around the birthing and rearing of children?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)