|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author go after fleeing from her "rest cure"?
2. Where do the women try to force the men to do in Chapter 2?
3. What are the houses surrounded by?
4. What do the men decide to leave on the motorboat?
5. What is included with the supplies that are loaded on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
3. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
4. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
5. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
6. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
7. Why did the women's society discard their pantheistic gods of war?
8. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
9. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
10. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's conclusion. What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? What happens to the central characters? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)