|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is included with the supplies that are loaded on the plane?
2. What are Vandyck, Terry and Jeff prepared to do if they find there are men in the all-female society?
3. What color are the houses that the men see?
4. What genre of fiction does "Herland" belong to?
5. What is Jeff's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the women take the explorers after they reach the town center? What happens when the men try to fight the women?
2. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
3. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
4. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
5. Why did Gilman take her own life?
6. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
7. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
8. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
9. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
10. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between Herland and the men's society. What are some of the differences? How do the women react to these differences? How do the men react? Why do the men sometimes become embarrassed because of their society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)