|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept are the women said to be unfamiliar with in Chapter 5?
2. Who names the land, "Herland"?
3. How do the women refer to their society when it still included men?
4. Where do the men discover they are being housed?
5. Where did the author live with her second husband for twenty-two years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Gilman's childhood like?
2. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
4. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
5. Why did Gilman take her own life?
6. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
7. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
8. What does Somel explain about animals in her country?
9. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
10. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Terry. What are his defining character traits? What does he think of Herland? How does he fare while there? Why is he banished?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)