|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the author diagnosed with while living in Connecticut?
2. How many cities did the author live in as a child?
3. What color are the houses that the men see?
4. What is Vandyck's surname?
5. Which of the men's personal effects is missing when they awake in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
2. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
3. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
4. What does Somel explain about animals in her country?
5. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
6. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
7. What do the men notice about the forest that they walk through in Chapter 2?
8. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
9. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
10. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the women of Herland. What are their defining traits? What do the men assume of the women before they meet them? How do the women surprise the male characters? What are some of the topics or issues which are important to the women? What is their top priority?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)