|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author live with her second husband for twenty-two years?
2. How do the guards treat the men when they are recaptured?
3. After descending the cliff, what does the men follow?
4. Who does Jeff's tutor remind him of?
5. Who was Charles Walter Stetson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the tutors tell the men when they are returned to their prison?
2. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
3. Why did the women's society discard their pantheistic gods of war?
4. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
5. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
6. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
7. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
8. What is Social Darwinism?
9. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
10. What was Gilman's childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between Herland and the men's society. What are some of the differences? How do the women react to these differences? How do the men react? Why do the men sometimes become embarrassed because of their society?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)