|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food do the men pick from a tree?
2. How is the language spoken by the girls described?
3. After the men's attempted escape, what do the women do?
4. What is set out for each man at their tables in Chapter 3?
5. How is Terry described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three men suppose an all-female society would be like?
2. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
3. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
4. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
5. What do the tutors tell the men when they are returned to their prison?
6. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
7. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
8. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
9. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
10. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the women of Herland. What are their defining traits? What do the men assume of the women before they meet them? How do the women surprise the male characters? What are some of the topics or issues which are important to the women? What is their top priority?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)