|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vandyck and his fellow explorers share an interest in?
2. How many cities did the author live in as a child?
3. What is characteristic of the village that the men see?
4. How is the author's childhood described in the foreword?
5. What do Alima, Celis and Ellador give the men in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
2. What do the men notice about the forest that they walk through in Chapter 2?
3. What spurred Gilman to leave her first marriage?
4. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
5. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
6. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
7. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
8. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
9. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
10. What do the three men suppose an all-female society would be like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Herland" as a Utopian novel. What does 'utopia' mean? Is Herland a Utopian society? Why or why not? Which characters believe it is? Which do not? Did Gilman mean to present it as such?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)