|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the language spoken by the girls described?
2. Where do the men discover they are being housed?
3. What was the name of the author's first born daughter?
4. What is included with the supplies that are loaded on the plane?
5. Where did the author live with her second husband for twenty-two years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
2. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
3. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
4. Why did Herland come to rely on food-bearing trees for its food supply?
5. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
6. Who will go with Terry back to the outside world and why?
7. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
8. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
9. Why does the Herland religion lack horrifying ideas? What does Ellador think about the tendency for other religions to hold onto old ideas?
10. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
Essay Topic 1
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
This section contains 1,521 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)