|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author go after fleeing from her "rest cure"?
2. How do the women refer to their society when it still included men?
3. How do the men travel in order to keep their presence secret?
4. Where do the men see three figures in Chapter 2?
5. According to the women in Chapter 5, why is work performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
2. Who will go with Terry back to the outside world and why?
3. Why does the Herland religion lack horrifying ideas? What does Ellador think about the tendency for other religions to hold onto old ideas?
4. Why did Gilman believe it was important for women to take a role in society?
5. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
6. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
7. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
8. Following the lecture in Chapter 8, the girls form informal groups around the men. Describe how the girls react to Terry.
9. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
10. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyse and interpret the character Jeff. What are Jeff's defining character traits? What is Gilman trying to convey in regards to the reversal of gender roles with the character Jeff? What does Jeff think of Herland?
Essay Topic 2
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of freedom in the novel "Herland." Which characters desire their freedom? Why have they been captured? How do they try to get away?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)