|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the men's comments in Chapter 5, what do women believe is a problem where the men come from?
2. What is Vandyck's surname?
3. What intrigues Vandyck as he and his party travel upstream in Chapter 1?
4. What do the men figure out they will be doing at the tables?
5. What does Lane say the author considered herself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Social Darwinism?
2. What was Gilman's childhood like?
3. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
4. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
5. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
6. What spurred Gilman to leave her first marriage?
7. Where do the women take the explorers after they reach the town center? What happens when the men try to fight the women?
8. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
9. What do the men notice about the forest that they walk through in Chapter 2?
10. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's conclusion. What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? What happens to the central characters? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 2
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Herland" as a Utopian novel. What does 'utopia' mean? Is Herland a Utopian society? Why or why not? Which characters believe it is? Which do not? Did Gilman mean to present it as such?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)