Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women react to the gifts Terry offers?
2. After descending the cliff, what does the men follow?
3. In the women's society, how is cultural growth achieved?
4. What does Vandyck smell after the men are taken into custody in Chapter 2?
5. What is characteristic of the village that the men see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
2. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
3. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
4. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
5. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
6. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
7. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
8. Why did Gilman take her own life?
9. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
10. What does Jeff warn Vandyke to tell Ellador about in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 3
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)