|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeff imagine an all-female society would be like?
2. What does one woman show the men a sketch of?
3. How is the language spoken by the girls described?
4. What does Vandyck believe is the men's best hope for freedom?
5. Why do the tutors say the men are being held captive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Somel explain about animals in her country?
2. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
3. What was Gilman's childhood like?
4. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
5. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
6. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
7. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
8. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
9. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
10. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in "Herland." What are the different types of conflict? What conflicts are found in the novel "Herland"? Are these conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the women of Herland. What are their defining traits? What do the men assume of the women before they meet them? How do the women surprise the male characters? What are some of the topics or issues which are important to the women? What is their top priority?
Essay Topic 3
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)