|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the expedition the three men are on?
2. Who do the women bring the the men before in Chapter 2?
3. How is the author's childhood described in the foreword?
4. What does Vandyck believe is the men's best hope for freedom?
5. Which activity is used by the guards to pass time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
2. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
3. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
4. Why did the women's society discard their pantheistic gods of war?
5. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
6. Where do the women take the explorers after they reach the town center? What happens when the men try to fight the women?
7. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
8. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
9. What do the three men suppose an all-female society would be like?
10. What does Somel explain about animals in her country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between Herland and the men's society. What are some of the differences? How do the women react to these differences? How do the men react? Why do the men sometimes become embarrassed because of their society?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)