|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author live with her second husband for twenty-two years?
2. What does Terry think of the local games?
3. In Chapter 2, how many miles do the men travel to the village?
4. According to the women in Chapter 5, why is work performed?
5. What concept are the women said to be unfamiliar with in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
2. Why did the women's society discard their pantheistic gods of war?
3. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
4. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
5. What does Terry do to prepare for the expedition?
6. What do the men notice about the forest that they walk through in Chapter 2?
7. What was Gilman's childhood like?
8. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
9. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
10. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of freedom in the novel "Herland." Which characters desire their freedom? Why have they been captured? How do they try to get away?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)