|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry think of the local games?
2. Who is the author of "Herland"?
3. How do the guards treat the men when they are recaptured?
4. Where do the explorers suppose the men of the society live?
5. How is the author's childhood described in the foreword?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gilman believe it was important for women to take a role in society?
2. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
3. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
4. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
5. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
6. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
7. Describe the women who meet the men in the town center in Chapter 2.
8. What spurred Gilman to leave her first marriage?
9. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
10. What was Gilman's childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Social Darwinism? Did Gilman believe in Social Darwinism? What connections can be found between Social Darwinism and the novel "Herland"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Herland" as a Utopian novel. What does 'utopia' mean? Is Herland a Utopian society? Why or why not? Which characters believe it is? Which do not? Did Gilman mean to present it as such?
Essay Topic 3
Analyse and interpret the character Jeff. What are Jeff's defining character traits? What is Gilman trying to convey in regards to the reversal of gender roles with the character Jeff? What does Jeff think of Herland?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)