|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
2. What did Charles Walter Stetson do for a living?
3. What do the men not see while flying over the female society's land?
4. What does Lane say the author considered herself to be?
5. What is included with the supplies that are loaded on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
2. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
3. What was Gilman's childhood like?
4. What is Social Darwinism?
5. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
6. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
7. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
8. What does Terry do to prepare for the expedition?
9. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
10. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of motherhood in Herland. Why has motherhood become so significant in this society? In what ways does life in Herland evolve around the birthing and rearing of children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the gender roles in the men's society and the gender roles in Herland. How are the similar and different?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)