|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the explorers suppose the men of the society live?
2. After the men's attempted escape, what do the women do?
3. What was the author diagnosed with while living in Connecticut?
4. In the women's society, how is cultural growth achieved?
5. Whose Utopian novel influenced the author's interest in socialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
2. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
3. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
4. What was Gilman's childhood like?
5. What do the tutors tell the men when they are returned to their prison?
6. What do the three men suppose an all-female society would be like?
7. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
8. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
9. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
10. What does Terry do to prepare for the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the traditional gender roles of the Victorian era. How are these gender roles portrayed in the male characters of the novel? How do these gender roles of this era lead the men to judge the Herlandians in a different light?
Essay Topic 2
"Herland" is an example of a socialist feminism novel. What does this term mean? What elements of socialist feminism can be found in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the women of Herland. What are their defining traits? What do the men assume of the women before they meet them? How do the women surprise the male characters? What are some of the topics or issues which are important to the women? What is their top priority?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)