Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women react to the gifts Terry offers?
2. After descending the cliff, what does the men follow?
3. In the women's society, how is cultural growth achieved?
4. What does Vandyck smell after the men are taken into custody in Chapter 2?
5. What is characteristic of the village that the men see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
2. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
3. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
4. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
5. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
6. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
7. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
8. Why did Gilman take her own life?
9. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
10. What does Jeff warn Vandyke to tell Ellador about in Chapter 12?
"Herland" is an example of a socialist feminism novel. What does this term mean? What elements of socialist feminism can be found in the novel?
Discuss and describe the women of Herland. What are their defining traits? What do the men assume of the women before they meet them? How do the women surprise the male characters? What are some of the topics or issues which are important to the women? What is their top priority?
Analyze Gilman's use of foreshadowing in "Herland." What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel and what are these examples hinting at?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)