|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vandyck smell after the men are taken into custody in Chapter 2?
2. How is the author's childhood described in the foreword?
3. What is Vandyck's surname?
4. What is the purpose of the expedition the three men are on?
5. What is characteristic of the village that the men see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
2. What spurred Gilman to leave her first marriage?
3. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
4. What does Jeff warn Vandyke to tell Ellador about in Chapter 12?
5. What do the men discover when the find their plane in Chapter 4?
6. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
7. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
8. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
9. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
10. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
"Herland" is an example of a socialist feminism novel. What does this term mean? What elements of socialist feminism can be found in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)