|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Charles Walter Stetson?
2. How are the men transported back to their prison?
3. What animal does Somel say is present on her society's land?
4. In their escape in Chapter 3, what do the men use as a cutting implement?
5. What does Jeff NOT note a lack of in the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
2. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
3. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
4. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
5. What do the men notice about the forest that they walk through in Chapter 2?
6. What do the three men suppose an all-female society would be like?
7. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
8. Why did Gilman believe it was important for women to take a role in society?
9. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
10. What was Gilman's childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Herland" is an example of a socialist feminism novel. What does this term mean? What elements of socialist feminism can be found in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's conclusion. What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? What happens to the central characters? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between Herland and the men's society. What are some of the differences? How do the women react to these differences? How do the men react? Why do the men sometimes become embarrassed because of their society?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)