|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women refer to their society when it still included men?
2. After descending the cliff, what does the men follow?
3. After the natural disaster, which males survived?
4. How many cities did the author live in as a child?
5. What does one woman show the men a sketch of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women get the men to admit about keeping dogs as pets?
2. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
3. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
4. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
5. What punishment do the men receive for their escape attempt?
6. What does Vandyke lament at the beginning of the story? Why does Vandyck refuse to reveal the location of the country he speaks of?
7. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
8. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
9. Why did Gilman take her own life?
10. Where do the women take the explorers after they reach the town center? What happens when the men try to fight the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the traditional gender roles of the Victorian era. How are these gender roles portrayed in the male characters of the novel? How do these gender roles of this era lead the men to judge the Herlandians in a different light?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between Herland and the men's society. What are some of the differences? How do the women react to these differences? How do the men react? Why do the men sometimes become embarrassed because of their society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's conclusion. What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? What happens to the central characters? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)