|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry think of the local games?
2. What do Alima, Celis and Ellador give the men in Chapter 4?
3. Where do the men discover they are being housed?
4. After descending the cliff, what does the men follow?
5. What is Vandyck's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ellador is upset in Chapter 10, what does the wise woman in the temple tell her?
2. Why did Gilman take her own life?
3. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
4. What do the tutors tell the men when they are returned to their prison?
5. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
6. Describe how the men orchestrate their escape in Chapter 3.
7. What was Gilman's childhood like?
8. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
9. What impresses Jeff after he has awoken in Chapter 3?
10. Who is chosen to court each of the men, and how does each man treat his assigned partner?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the gender roles in the men's society and the gender roles in Herland. How are the similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Herland rejects tradition as much as the men's society values it. Why might this be so? What effect does this have on Herland's society? What are the pros and cons of a society which values innovation over tradition?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)