|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the explorers about the women in town?
2. Who does Jeff's tutor remind him of?
3. What is the purpose of the expedition the three men are on?
4. What food do the men pick from a tree?
5. How is the author's childhood described in the foreword?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Gilman's childhood like?
2. After the anesthesia wears off, where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
3. What do the men note about the town in Chapter 2?
4. What does Terry do to prepare for the expedition?
5. What do the men see from the plane in Chapter 1?
6. In the past, what happened to all of the men in the women's society?
7. What does the fragment of cloth that is found in the water indicate to the explorers?
8. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
9. Why do Vandyck and his friends believe there must be men in the society? Where do they suppose the men might live?
10. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the introduction of the novel "Herland". Why might it be important and beneficial for the reader to learn about the author's background? What does the author of the introduction share with the readers in regards to Gilman and her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the protagonist of the novel, Vandyck. What are his defining characteristics? What is his occupation? Why does his occupation and overall perspective make him a reliable narrator in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Gilman's use of foreshadowing in "Herland." What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel and what are these examples hinting at?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)