|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As far as Terry is concerned, what are the only women worth knowing?
2. Who did the author's ex-husband remarry?
3. What does Terry think of the local games?
4. Why do the tutors say the men are being held captive?
5. What is set out for each man at their tables in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. As time goes on, how do the men come to feel about their tutors?
2. What do the men think of the games that the guards play?
3. What was the theme of Gilman's work, "The Yellow Wallpaper"?
4. Why did the women's society discard their pantheistic gods of war?
5. What is awaiting the men when they awake and leave their room in Chapter 3?
6. In the women's society, how does the culture grow, and why do people work?
7. What is Social Darwinism?
8. Briefly describe Vandyck and his two friends.
9. Who do the men meet while walking through the forest in Chapter 2?
10. What does Somel explain about animals in her country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Gilman's use of symbolism in "Herland." What are some symbols in the novel and what do these symbols mean?
Essay Topic 2
"Herland" is an example of a socialist feminism novel. What does this term mean? What elements of socialist feminism can be found in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of acceptance. Who accepts whom and why? Why is this acceptance required? Who struggles with accepting another person or group?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)