|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The athletic girls.
(b) The artistic girls.
(c) The scientifically-minded girls.
(d) The demure girls.
2. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
(a) A little girl's dream.
(b) A school holiday.
(c) A fairy tale.
(d) An enchanting game.
3. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(a) Talk back to their elders.
(c) Get into mischief.
(d) Complain of boredom.
4. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they are unmarried.
(b) That they do not have children.
(c) That they are happy.
(d) That they are lazy.
5. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What partnership meant.
(b) What trust meant.
(c) What love meant.
(d) What loyalty meant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
2. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
3. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
4. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
5. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
2. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
3. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
4. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
5. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
6. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
7. In Chapter 9, what do we learn girls in Herland are taught to think about themselves while growing up?
8. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
10. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)