|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
(b) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
(c) When the men have been sedated.
(d) When the men promise to leave the country.
2. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a friendly place.
(b) That the world is a small place.
(c) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(d) That the world is a dangerous place.
3. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Eleven years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Six years old.
4. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
(b) Birth certificates.
5. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
(d) Sexual motivation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
2. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
3. What is the title of Chapter 8?
4. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
5. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the lecture in Chapter 8, the girls form informal groups around the men. Describe how the girls react to Terry.
2. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
3. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
4. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
5. Who is chosen to court each of the men, and how does each man treat his assigned partner?
6. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
7. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
8. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
9. What are Ellador's beliefs about love-making?
10. In Chapter 11, what does Vandyke say helps minimize his desire for his wife? How does Vandyke eventually come to view his sexual desires?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)