|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
(d) Sexual motivation.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
(c) Acquired traits.
(d) Work ethic.
3. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
4. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The geography of the outside world.
(b) Scientific discoveries.
(c) The history of the outside world.
(d) Health and fitness.
5. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What love meant.
(b) What loyalty meant.
(c) What trust meant.
(d) What partnership meant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
2. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
3. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
4. As the men's tour continues, what does Terry learn to do?
5. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
2. Why did Herland come to rely on food-bearing trees for its food supply?
3. What are the two core concepts of Herland's society as described in Chapter 7?
4. What displeases the women about marriage in the outside world?
5. What reason does Moadine give Terry for the men's ongoing imprisonment?
6. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
7. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
8. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
9. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
10. How did Ellador become a forester?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)