|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
(a) They fear witnessing their child's death.
(b) They fear the pain of childbirth.
(c) They do not like children.
(d) The population threatened to outgrow their resources.
2. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(a) Like mother and son.
3. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(b) That the men are in love with the women.
(c) A planned escape from Herland.
(d) The ills of the outside world.
4. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The food supply.
(b) The power generation system.
(c) The town planning.
(d) The vaccination program.
5. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
(b) When the men promise to leave the country.
(c) When the men have been sedated.
(d) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellador create a chart about?
2. How do women prevent pregnancy in Herland?
3. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
4. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
5. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the men asked to do by the elder women in Chapter 8? What do the young women ask the men?
2. What are Ellador's beliefs about love-making?
3. What bores Terry about Herland in Chapter 9?
4. Once population limits were put in place in Herland, what did the women focus on, and what was the result?
5. Why is it necessary for the women of Herland to control their population? How do they do this?
6. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
7. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
8. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
9. Following the lecture in Chapter 8, the girls form informal groups around the men. Describe how the girls react to Terry.
10. What is the men's view of a wife's role in marriage? After their marriages, how do their wives fail to meet the men's expectations?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)