|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Ellador ask Vandyke to define in Chapter 10?
2. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a friendly place.
(b) That the world is a small place.
(c) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(d) That the world is a dangerous place.
3. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By their grandmothers.
(b) By the community.
(c) By a wise woman in a temple.
(d) By trained child nurses.
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
(a) She is a gardener.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a childminder.
(d) She is a forester.
5. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As unwanted intruders.
(b) As a way to learn about the outside world.
(c) As exchange students.
(d) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
2. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
3. At the lecture, what kind of girls stay in Terry's discussion group?
4. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
5. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what difference does Vandyke see in the children of Herland compared to the ones in America?
2. Why did Herland come to rely on food-bearing trees for its food supply?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Vandyke discover is the women's view of the men?
4. Why does the Herland religion lack horrifying ideas? What does Ellador think about the tendency for other religions to hold onto old ideas?
5. How did Ellador become a forester?
6. In Chapter 7, why has Terry sunk in the esteem of his friends?
7. What are Ellador's beliefs about love-making?
8. What assumptions does Moadine make about wealthy and poor women in America?
9. Why does Somel say that Herland mothers are willing to allow others to raise their children?
10. Why is Terry banished from Herland at the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)