|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(b) Complain of boredom.
(c) Get into mischief.
(d) Talk back to their elders.
2. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador slaps him.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador begins to cry.
(d) Ellador faints.
3. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
(a) That men never take their wives' names.
(b) That a religious ceremony is held to unify husbands and wives.
(c) That it is considered bad for children to be born to unwed couples.
(d) That men and women don't get to choose who they will marry.
4. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(d) Physical labor.
5. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees take up less space.
(b) Trees attract birds.
(c) Trees also provide shelter.
(d) Trees produce food year round.
6. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
7. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
(a) Society secrets.
(c) Mechanical equipment.
8. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
(a) Terry's ignorance of the local language.
(b) Terry's manly qualities.
(c) The way Terry flirts with the women.
(d) Terry's dislike of the local customs.
9. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Eight years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Eleven years old.
10. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
11. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(a) Like mother and son.
12. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(b) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
(c) The wise women of the temples.
(d) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
13. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The history of the outside world.
(b) Scientific discoveries.
(c) Health and fitness.
(d) The geography of the outside world.
14. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men promise to leave the country.
(b) When the men have been sedated.
(c) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
(d) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
15. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To see Alima.
(b) The nearest temple.
(c) To her mother-teacher's house.
(d) To her room to be alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Ellador ask Vandyke to define in Chapter 10?
2. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
3. What are Over Mothers?
4. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
5. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)