|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(a) Physical labor.
2. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Sweet flowers.
(b) Pom trees.
(c) Silk moths.
(d) Obernut trees.
3. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) His wife's style of dress.
(b) Pursuing his hobbies.
(c) Concentrating on his research.
(d) His wife's rude behavior.
4. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
(a) It is too disorganized.
(b) It is too impoverished.
(c) It is too girly.
(d) It is too perfect.
5. Why does Somel say a Herland mother would allow someone else to raise her child?
(a) Because the mother knows there are others who are wiser than she is.
(b) Because it is unfair to focus all of one's attention on one child.
(c) Because children learn better in groups.
(d) Because mothers need to work to survive.
6. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women who supervise the community's children.
(b) Women allowed to have more than one child.
(c) Women who are over seventy years old.
(d) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
7. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a small place.
(b) That the world is a friendly place.
(c) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(d) That the world is a dangerous place.
8. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
(b) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
(c) When the men promise to leave the country.
(d) When the men have been sedated.
9. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
(a) That it is considered bad for children to be born to unwed couples.
(b) That a religious ceremony is held to unify husbands and wives.
(c) That men and women don't get to choose who they will marry.
(d) That men never take their wives' names.
10. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Eight years old.
11. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Our Relations and Theirs.
(b) Our Difficulties.
(d) Happy Marriages.
12. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
(a) Death before reaching ninety years of age.
13. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador faints.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador begins to cry.
(d) Ellador slaps him.
14. What are the two core concepts which Herland's society is based on?
(a) The philosopher and the worker.
(b) The judge and the jury.
(c) The angel and the demon.
(d) The critic and the inventor.
15. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) The wise women of the temples.
(b) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(c) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(d) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
2. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
3. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
4. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
5. What occupations did the men take on?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)