|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
2. What do the women of Herland have to do to honor their Mother Goddess?
(a) Follow the directions of the religious texts.
(b) Behave a certain way.
(c) Make sacrifices.
3. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As exchange students.
(b) As a way to learn about the outside world.
(c) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
(d) As unwanted intruders.
5. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
(a) Keep them imprisoned indefinitely.
(b) Sacrifice them to their God.
(c) Teach and learn from them.
(d) Eventually send them back home.
6. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(d) Physical labor.
7. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
(a) Ellador, Ceris and Alima.
(c) Their three tutors.
(d) The Herland Elders.
8. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
(c) Birth certificates.
9. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees also provide shelter.
(b) Trees produce food year round.
(c) Trees take up less space.
(d) Trees attract birds.
10. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
(a) Acquired traits.
(d) Work ethic.
11. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What loyalty meant.
(b) What partnership meant.
(c) What love meant.
(d) What trust meant.
12. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) Pursuing his hobbies.
(b) Concentrating on his research.
(c) His wife's rude behavior.
(d) His wife's style of dress.
13. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men and women are equal.
(b) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
(c) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(d) That the men follow their wishes.
14. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women allowed to have more than one child.
(b) Women who supervise the community's children.
(c) Women who are over seventy years old.
(d) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
15. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By their grandmothers.
(b) By trained child nurses.
(c) By a wise woman in a temple.
(d) By the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
3. What is the title of Chapter 8?
4. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
5. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)