|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
2. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What partnership meant.
(b) What love meant.
(c) What loyalty meant.
(d) What trust meant.
3. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(b) Living for one year at a temple.
(c) Cutting her hair short.
(d) Having her first child.
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
(a) She is a forester.
(b) She is a gardener.
(c) She is a childminder.
(d) She is a teacher.
5. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) A Lecture to the Youth.
(b) Discovering Herland.
(c) Danger for Terry.
(d) The Girls of Herland.
6. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
(a) Terry's dislike of the local customs.
(b) Terry's ignorance of the local language.
(c) The way Terry flirts with the women.
(d) Terry's manly qualities.
7. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
(c) Birth certificates.
8. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
(b) Women who are over seventy years old.
(c) Women allowed to have more than one child.
(d) Women who supervise the community's children.
9. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
(c) Society secrets.
(d) Mechanical equipment.
10. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) Pursuing his hobbies.
(b) His wife's rude behavior.
(c) Concentrating on his research.
(d) His wife's style of dress.
11. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
(b) The Herland Elders.
(c) Ellador, Ceris and Alima.
(d) Their three tutors.
12. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To her mother-teacher's house.
(b) The nearest temple.
(c) To her room to be alone.
(d) To see Alima.
13. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they do not have children.
(b) That they are unmarried.
(c) That they are lazy.
(d) That they are happy.
14. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
15. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
(a) They fear witnessing their child's death.
(b) They fear the pain of childbirth.
(c) The population threatened to outgrow their resources.
(d) They do not like children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Somel say a Herland mother would allow someone else to raise her child?
2. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
3. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
4. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
5. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)