|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What love meant.
(b) What loyalty meant.
(c) What trust meant.
(d) What partnership meant.
2. Who does Moadine say the men would have to face if they ever hurt any of the women?
(a) A million mothers.
(b) A life in prison.
(c) A violent end.
(d) A panel of elder judges.
3. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(b) Like mother and son.
4. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
(a) The population threatened to outgrow their resources.
(b) They do not like children.
(c) They fear witnessing their child's death.
(d) They fear the pain of childbirth.
5. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
(a) A supportive God figure.
(b) Elaborate ceremonies.
(c) A central location for religious observation.
(d) Horrifying ideas.
6. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The demure girls.
(b) The athletic girls.
(c) The scientifically-minded girls.
(d) The artistic girls.
7. What occupations did the men take on?
(a) Mining work.
(b) Assistant inventors.
(c) School instructors.
(d) Forester assistants.
8. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) That the men are in love with the women.
(b) A planned escape from Herland.
(c) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(d) The ills of the outside world.
9. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(c) Physical labor.
10. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
(a) As practical.
(b) As enriching.
(c) As pacifying.
(d) As mystical.
11. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In the outside world.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) In their own houses.
(d) In communal housing.
12. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) A Lecture to the Youth.
(b) The Girls of Herland.
(c) Danger for Terry.
(d) Discovering Herland.
13. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
(a) An expression of hatred.
(b) An expression of love.
(c) An expression of health.
(d) An expression of dominance.
14. What aspect of Herland culture has been simplified for the sake of the children?
(a) The religious practices.
(b) The language.
(c) The coming of age rituals.
(d) The way people dress.
15. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
(b) Birth certificates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terry act towards the girls in the group that forms around him?
2. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
4. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
5. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)