|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To see Alima.
(b) To her mother-teacher's house.
(c) The nearest temple.
(d) To her room to be alone.
2. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) Scientific discoveries.
(b) The history of the outside world.
(c) The geography of the outside world.
(d) Health and fitness.
3. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(b) Cutting her hair short.
(c) Having her first child.
(d) Living for one year at a temple.
4. How does Terry act towards the girls in the group that forms around him?
5. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) Pursuing his hobbies.
(b) His wife's rude behavior.
(c) His wife's style of dress.
(d) Concentrating on his research.
6. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By trained child nurses.
(b) By their grandmothers.
(c) By the community.
(d) By a wise woman in a temple.
7. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(b) That the world is a dangerous place.
(c) That the world is a small place.
(d) That the world is a friendly place.
8. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(b) The wise women of the temples.
(c) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(d) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
9. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
10. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men and women are equal.
(b) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(c) That the men follow their wishes.
(d) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
11. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
12. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
13. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Pom trees.
(b) Silk moths.
(c) Sweet flowers.
(d) Obernut trees.
14. To the women of Herland, what is life about?
(d) Leaving a legacy.
15. Which word is NOT included in the list of terms the Herland woman have no cultural understanding of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women of Herland use to educate their children?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
3. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
4. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
5. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)