|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
(c) Leaving Herland.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
(b) Work ethic.
(c) Acquired traits.
3. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To see Alima.
(b) To her mother-teacher's house.
(c) The nearest temple.
(d) To her room to be alone.
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
(a) She is a gardener.
(b) She is a childminder.
(c) She is a forester.
(d) She is a teacher.
5. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
(b) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(c) That the men follow their wishes.
(d) That the men and women are equal.
6. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
7. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they do not have children.
(b) That they are happy.
(c) That they are unmarried.
(d) That they are lazy.
8. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Happy Marriages.
(b) Our Difficulties.
(d) Our Relations and Theirs.
9. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Pom trees.
(b) Sweet flowers.
(c) Silk moths.
(d) Obernut trees.
10. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) International geography.
(b) World religions.
(c) Good health practices.
(d) World languages.
11. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
(a) A supportive God figure.
(b) Elaborate ceremonies.
(c) A central location for religious observation.
(d) Horrifying ideas.
12. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By their grandmothers.
(b) By the community.
(c) By a wise woman in a temple.
(d) By trained child nurses.
13. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) Discovering Herland.
(b) The Girls of Herland.
(c) A Lecture to the Youth.
(d) Danger for Terry.
14. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
(a) Sacrifice them to their God.
(b) Keep them imprisoned indefinitely.
(c) Eventually send them back home.
(d) Teach and learn from them.
15. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
(a) An expression of hatred.
(b) An expression of love.
(c) An expression of health.
(d) An expression of dominance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
2. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
3. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
4. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
5. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)