|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(b) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(c) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
(d) The wise women of the temples.
2. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
(a) Life after death.
(b) Independent thought.
(d) Preventative medicine.
3. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men and women are equal.
(b) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(c) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
(d) That the men follow their wishes.
4. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) The nearest temple.
(b) To her mother-teacher's house.
(c) To see Alima.
(d) To her room to be alone.
5. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Happy Marriages.
(c) Our Difficulties.
(d) Our Relations and Theirs.
6. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
7. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) World languages.
(b) World religions.
(c) International geography.
(d) Good health practices.
8. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
9. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Having her first child.
(b) Cutting her hair short.
(c) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(d) Living for one year at a temple.
10. As the men's tour continues, what does Terry learn to do?
(a) Say "I love you" in the local language.
(b) Play a native card game.
(c) Skirt the difficult questions he is asked.
(d) Be less offensive.
11. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
12. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(a) Complain of boredom.
(b) Get into mischief.
(d) Talk back to their elders.
13. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
(a) The Herland Elders.
(c) Ellador, Ceris and Alima.
(d) Their three tutors.
14. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
(a) An expression of health.
(b) An expression of hatred.
(c) An expression of love.
(d) An expression of dominance.
15. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(b) That the world is a small place.
(c) That the world is a friendly place.
(d) That the world is a dangerous place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
2. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
3. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
4. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
5. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)