|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By the community.
(b) By their grandmothers.
(c) By a wise woman in a temple.
(d) By trained child nurses.
2. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The women lock Terry up in a prison.
(b) The women execute Terry.
(c) The women publicly humiliate Terry.
(d) The women banish Terry from Herland.
3. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
(a) Eventually send them back home.
(b) Teach and learn from them.
(c) Sacrifice them to their God.
(d) Keep them imprisoned indefinitely.
4. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
(a) As mystical.
(b) As pacifying.
(c) As enriching.
(d) As practical.
5. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(b) Talk back to their elders.
(c) Complain of boredom.
(d) Get into mischief.
6. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
(d) Death before reaching ninety years of age.
7. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) Good health practices.
(b) International geography.
(c) World languages.
(d) World religions.
8. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador begins to cry.
(b) Ellador slaps him.
(c) Ellador faints.
(d) Ellador turns pale.
9. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
(a) Life after death.
(b) Independent thought.
(c) Preventative medicine.
10. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As a way to learn about the outside world.
(b) As exchange students.
(c) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
(d) As unwanted intruders.
11. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(d) Like mother and son.
12. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
(a) They fear witnessing their child's death.
(b) They fear the pain of childbirth.
(c) They do not like children.
(d) The population threatened to outgrow their resources.
13. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) Scientific discoveries.
(b) The history of the outside world.
(c) The geography of the outside world.
(d) Health and fitness.
14. Which word is NOT included in the list of terms the Herland woman have no cultural understanding of?
15. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The athletic girls.
(b) The demure girls.
(c) The artistic girls.
(d) The scientifically-minded girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
2. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
3. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
4. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
5. At the lecture, what kind of girls stay in Terry's discussion group?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)