|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of belonging.
(b) A sense of independence.
(c) A sense of acceptance.
(d) A sense of possession.
2. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
(a) A supportive God figure.
(b) A central location for religious observation.
(c) Horrifying ideas.
(d) Elaborate ceremonies.
3. How does Terry act towards the girls in the group that forms around him?
4. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
(a) Their three tutors.
(b) The Herland Elders.
(c) Ellador, Ceris and Alima.
5. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador faints.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador begins to cry.
(d) Ellador slaps him.
6. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) The wise women of the temples.
(b) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(c) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
(d) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
7. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(c) Like mother and son.
8. What are the two core concepts which Herland's society is based on?
(a) The critic and the inventor.
(b) The angel and the demon.
(c) The philosopher and the worker.
(d) The judge and the jury.
9. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) Good health practices.
(b) World languages.
(c) International geography.
(d) World religions.
10. As the men's tour continues, what does Terry learn to do?
(a) Skirt the difficult questions he is asked.
(b) Play a native card game.
(c) Be less offensive.
(d) Say "I love you" in the local language.
11. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
(a) Jeff feels burdened by her.
(b) Jeff idealizes her.
(c) Jeff dislikes her.
(d) Jeff is friendly with her.
12. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women who supervise the community's children.
(b) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
(c) Women allowed to have more than one child.
(d) Women who are over seventy years old.
13. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What partnership meant.
(b) What loyalty meant.
(c) What trust meant.
(d) What love meant.
14. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
(a) Independent thought.
(c) Life after death.
(d) Preventative medicine.
15. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(b) Talk back to their elders.
(c) Complain of boredom.
(d) Get into mischief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word is NOT included in the list of terms the Herland woman have no cultural understanding of?
2. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
3. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
4. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)