|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
(a) An expression of hatred.
(b) An expression of health.
(c) An expression of dominance.
(d) An expression of love.
2. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(a) Physical labor.
3. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
(b) Work ethic.
(d) Acquired traits.
4. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
(a) It is too disorganized.
(b) It is too impoverished.
(c) It is too perfect.
(d) It is too girly.
5. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador turns pale.
(b) Ellador faints.
(c) Ellador begins to cry.
(d) Ellador slaps him.
6. What is suggested to have disappeared due to the lack of men?
(b) "Feminine" clothing.
(c) Eating meat.
7. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) International geography.
(b) World religions.
(c) World languages.
(d) Good health practices.
8. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men have been sedated.
(b) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
(c) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
(d) When the men promise to leave the country.
9. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
(a) That men never take their wives' names.
(b) That a religious ceremony is held to unify husbands and wives.
(c) That men and women don't get to choose who they will marry.
(d) That it is considered bad for children to be born to unwed couples.
10. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As exchange students.
(b) As unwanted intruders.
(c) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
(d) As a way to learn about the outside world.
11. Who does Moadine say the men would have to face if they ever hurt any of the women?
(a) A life in prison.
(b) A violent end.
(c) A panel of elder judges.
(d) A million mothers.
12. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) Discovering Herland.
(b) A Lecture to the Youth.
(c) The Girls of Herland.
(d) Danger for Terry.
13. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In communal housing.
(c) In their own houses.
(d) In the outside world.
14. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
15. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
(a) Jeff dislikes her.
(b) Jeff is friendly with her.
(c) Jeff idealizes her.
(d) Jeff feels burdened by her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the elder women protecting the men from by keeping them imprisoned?
2. At the lecture, what kind of girls stay in Terry's discussion group?
3. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
4. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
5. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)