|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador begins to cry.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador faints.
(d) Ellador slaps him.
2. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
3. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they are lazy.
(b) That they are happy.
(c) That they do not have children.
(d) That they are unmarried.
4. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees take up less space.
(b) Trees attract birds.
(c) Trees produce food year round.
(d) Trees also provide shelter.
5. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By their grandmothers.
(b) By a wise woman in a temple.
(c) By the community.
(d) By trained child nurses.
6. What is suggested to have disappeared due to the lack of men?
(b) Eating meat.
(c) "Feminine" clothing.
7. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Happy Marriages.
(b) Our Relations and Theirs.
(c) Our Difficulties.
8. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
9. Who does Moadine say the men would have to face if they ever hurt any of the women?
(a) A panel of elder judges.
(b) A violent end.
(c) A life in prison.
(d) A million mothers.
10. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Cutting her hair short.
(b) Living for one year at a temple.
(c) Having her first child.
(d) Having an additional room added to her suite.
11. What are the two core concepts which Herland's society is based on?
(a) The judge and the jury.
(b) The angel and the demon.
(c) The critic and the inventor.
(d) The philosopher and the worker.
12. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In their own houses.
(b) In the outside world.
(c) In communal housing.
(d) In the mountains.
13. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
(a) A little girl's dream.
(b) A school holiday.
(c) An enchanting game.
(d) A fairy tale.
14. What aspect of Herland culture has been simplified for the sake of the children?
(a) The religious practices.
(b) The language.
(c) The way people dress.
(d) The coming of age rituals.
15. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) The ills of the outside world.
(b) That the men are in love with the women.
(c) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(d) A planned escape from Herland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
2. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
3. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
5. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)