|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The women execute Terry.
(b) The women lock Terry up in a prison.
(c) The women banish Terry from Herland.
(d) The women publicly humiliate Terry.
2. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Living for one year at a temple.
(b) Having her first child.
(c) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(d) Cutting her hair short.
3. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The vaccination program.
(b) The power generation system.
(c) The food supply.
(d) The town planning.
4. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Eleven years old.
5. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Pom trees.
(b) Silk moths.
(c) Sweet flowers.
(d) Obernut trees.
6. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In their own houses.
(b) In communal housing.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the outside world.
7. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of independence.
(b) A sense of acceptance.
(c) A sense of belonging.
(d) A sense of possession.
8. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(b) The wise women of the temples.
(c) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(d) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
9. What do the women of Herland use to educate their children?
(a) Solitary study.
(b) Strict testing.
(c) Learning games.
(d) Memorization techniques.
10. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
11. What does Ellador create a chart about?
(a) International geography.
(b) World languages.
(c) Good health practices.
(d) World religions.
12. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
(a) Death before reaching ninety years of age.
13. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) A Lecture to the Youth.
(b) Danger for Terry.
(c) The Girls of Herland.
(d) Discovering Herland.
14. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
(a) They fear the pain of childbirth.
(b) They fear witnessing their child's death.
(c) The population threatened to outgrow their resources.
(d) They do not like children.
15. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
2. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
3. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
4. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
5. What is Terry's view of sexuality?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)