|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(b) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(c) The wise women of the temples.
(d) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
2. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
(a) Society secrets.
(c) Mechanical equipment.
3. What is suggested to have disappeared due to the lack of men?
(a) Eating meat.
(b) "Feminine" clothing.
4. What word does Ellador ask Vandyke to define in Chapter 10?
5. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) His wife's rude behavior.
(b) His wife's style of dress.
(c) Pursuing his hobbies.
(d) Concentrating on his research.
6. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a dangerous place.
(b) That the world is a friendly place.
(c) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(d) That the world is a small place.
7. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
8. What aspect of Herland culture has been simplified for the sake of the children?
(a) The language.
(b) The coming of age rituals.
(c) The way people dress.
(d) The religious practices.
9. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
(b) Completely platonic.
10. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
(a) When the men have been sedated.
(b) When the men promise not to hurt anyone.
(c) When the men are educated enough about Herland.
(d) When the men promise to leave the country.
11. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
12. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The power generation system.
(b) The town planning.
(c) The vaccination program.
(d) The food supply.
13. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of acceptance.
(b) A sense of possession.
(c) A sense of belonging.
(d) A sense of independence.
14. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The women publicly humiliate Terry.
(b) The women banish Terry from Herland.
(c) The women lock Terry up in a prison.
(d) The women execute Terry.
15. What are the elder women protecting the men from by keeping them imprisoned?
(a) Their country's dangerous terrain.
(b) The young women.
(c) Making social faux-pas.
(d) The country's wild beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
2. How does Terry act towards the girls in the group that forms around him?
3. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
4. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
5. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)