|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
2. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
(a) It is too girly.
(b) It is too disorganized.
(c) It is too impoverished.
(d) It is too perfect.
3. Who accompanies the men on their tour of the country?
(a) The Herland Elders.
(c) Ellador, Ceris and Alima.
(d) Their three tutors.
4. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(b) That the men are in love with the women.
(c) A planned escape from Herland.
(d) The ills of the outside world.
5. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In the outside world.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) In their own houses.
(d) In communal housing.
6. In Chapter 7, with what are the men said to be "at last considered sufficiently tamed and trained to be trusted"?
(b) Society secrets.
(d) Mechanical equipment.
7. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
8. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Having her first child.
(b) Living for one year at a temple.
(c) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(d) Cutting her hair short.
9. What do the women of Herland use to educate their children?
(a) Strict testing.
(b) Learning games.
(c) Solitary study.
(d) Memorization techniques.
10. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The food supply.
(b) The town planning.
(c) The vaccination program.
(d) The power generation system.
11. What is suggested to have disappeared due to the lack of men?
(b) "Feminine" clothing.
(c) Eating meat.
12. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(b) That the men follow their wishes.
(c) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
(d) That the men and women are equal.
13. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(b) The wise women of the temples.
(c) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(d) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
14. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees also provide shelter.
(b) Trees attract birds.
(c) Trees produce food year round.
(d) Trees take up less space.
15. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women allowed to have more than one child.
(b) Women who supervise the community's children.
(c) Women who are over seventy years old.
(d) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
2. What aspect of Herland culture has been simplified for the sake of the children?
3. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
4. What occupations did the men take on?
5. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)