|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
2. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of acceptance.
(b) A sense of possession.
(c) A sense of independence.
(d) A sense of belonging.
3. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(b) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
(c) The wise women of the temples.
(d) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
4. At the lecture, what kind of girls stay in Terry's discussion group?
(a) Intelligent girls.
(b) Argumentative girls.
(c) Pretty girls.
(d) Unconfident girls.
5. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
(a) A fairy tale.
(b) A school holiday.
(c) An enchanting game.
(d) A little girl's dream.
6. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Our Difficulties.
(b) Happy Marriages.
(c) Our Relations and Theirs.
7. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
(a) Jeff is friendly with her.
(b) Jeff feels burdened by her.
(c) Jeff dislikes her.
(d) Jeff idealizes her.
8. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
(a) Terry's ignorance of the local language.
(b) The way Terry flirts with the women.
(c) Terry's dislike of the local customs.
(d) Terry's manly qualities.
9. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The vaccination program.
(b) The food supply.
(c) The power generation system.
(d) The town planning.
10. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
11. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The athletic girls.
(b) The demure girls.
(c) The artistic girls.
(d) The scientifically-minded girls.
12. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they are unmarried.
(b) That they do not have children.
(c) That they are lazy.
(d) That they are happy.
13. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
(a) It is too disorganized.
(b) It is too girly.
(c) It is too impoverished.
(d) It is too perfect.
14. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees attract birds.
(b) Trees also provide shelter.
(c) Trees take up less space.
(d) Trees produce food year round.
15. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The women execute Terry.
(b) The women publicly humiliate Terry.
(c) The women banish Terry from Herland.
(d) The women lock Terry up in a prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
2. How do women prevent pregnancy in Herland?
3. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
4. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
5. What is exceptionally rare in Herland?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)