|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what do the men learn the women in Herland do not have?
(c) Birth certificates.
2. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees also provide shelter.
(b) Trees produce food year round.
(c) Trees attract birds.
(d) Trees take up less space.
3. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a small place.
(b) That the world is a friendly place.
(c) That the world is a dangerous place.
(d) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
4. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What partnership meant.
(b) What love meant.
(c) What trust meant.
(d) What loyalty meant.
5. Which word is NOT included in the list of terms the Herland woman have no cultural understanding of?
6. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
(a) As pacifying.
(b) As enriching.
(c) As practical.
(d) As mystical.
7. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The geography of the outside world.
(b) Scientific discoveries.
(c) Health and fitness.
(d) The history of the outside world.
8. What is Terry's courtship with his partner like?
(b) Completely platonic.
9. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
(a) Life after death.
(b) Independent thought.
(c) Preventative medicine.
10. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
11. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(d) Like mother and son.
12. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Our Relations and Theirs.
(b) Our Difficulties.
(d) Happy Marriages.
13. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As a way to learn about the outside world.
(b) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
(c) As unwanted intruders.
(d) As exchange students.
14. What are the two core concepts which Herland's society is based on?
(a) The critic and the inventor.
(b) The judge and the jury.
(c) The philosopher and the worker.
(d) The angel and the demon.
15. Who expresses thankfulness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Somel, Moadine and Zava.
(b) Elldor, Ceris and Alima.
(c) Vandyke, Terry and Jeff.
(d) The wise women of the temples.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ellador when she caught a butterfly?
2. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
3. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
4. What does Ellador create a chart about?
5. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)