|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Sweet flowers.
(b) Obernut trees.
(c) Pom trees.
(d) Silk moths.
2. What is the relationship between Moadine and Terry like?
(d) Like mother and son.
3. In Herland, what makes Terry seem ridiculous to his friends?
(a) Terry's manly qualities.
(b) Terry's ignorance of the local language.
(c) Terry's dislike of the local customs.
(d) The way Terry flirts with the women.
4. What are the lives of Herland girls equated to?
(a) A little girl's dream.
(b) A school holiday.
(c) A fairy tale.
(d) An enchanting game.
5. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador begins to cry.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador faints.
(d) Ellador slaps him.
6. Who helps Alima subdue Terry in Chapter 11?
7. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of possession.
(b) A sense of independence.
(c) A sense of belonging.
(d) A sense of acceptance.
8. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) His wife's rude behavior.
(b) Concentrating on his research.
(c) His wife's style of dress.
(d) Pursuing his hobbies.
9. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) The nearest temple.
(b) To see Alima.
(c) To her mother-teacher's house.
(d) To her room to be alone.
10. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) A planned escape from Herland.
(b) The ills of the outside world.
(c) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(d) That the men are in love with the women.
11. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What loyalty meant.
(b) What love meant.
(c) What partnership meant.
(d) What trust meant.
12. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
(a) As pacifying.
(b) As enriching.
(c) As practical.
(d) As mystical.
13. What does Moadine assume about poor women?
(a) That they are happy.
(b) That they are lazy.
(c) That they do not have children.
(d) That they are unmarried.
14. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The geography of the outside world.
(b) Scientific discoveries.
(c) The history of the outside world.
(d) Health and fitness.
15. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
(b) Acquired traits.
(c) Work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
2. Why did some women in Herland choose not to have children?
3. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
4. In Chapter 10, what are Herland's women said not to believe in?
5. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)