|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Terry act towards the girls in the group that forms around him?
2. What does Terry say is the only thing the women can think of in relation to men?
(d) Physical labor.
3. What is the title of Chapter 8?
(a) A Lecture to the Youth.
(b) The Girls of Herland.
(c) Danger for Terry.
(d) Discovering Herland.
4. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world is a dangerous place.
(b) That the world is a small place.
(c) That the world is a friendly place.
(d) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
5. By Chapter 10, what are the men actively hiding from the women?
(a) That the men are documenting Herland's culture.
(b) That the men are in love with the women.
(c) A planned escape from Herland.
(d) The ills of the outside world.
6. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
7. Where did the men want to live with their wives?
(a) In the outside world.
(b) In communal housing.
(c) In their own houses.
(d) In the mountains.
8. As the men's tour continues, what does Terry learn to do?
(a) Play a native card game.
(b) Skirt the difficult questions he is asked.
(c) Be less offensive.
(d) Say "I love you" in the local language.
9. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees attract birds.
(b) Trees produce food year round.
(c) Trees take up less space.
(d) Trees also provide shelter.
10. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
(a) That the men follow their wishes.
(b) That the men treat the women just as they would treat women back home.
(c) That the men and women meet only twice a week.
(d) That the men and women are equal.
11. What does Vandyke note the children in Herland never do?
(a) Get into mischief.
(b) Complain of boredom.
(d) Talk back to their elders.
12. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
(a) As exchange students.
(b) As unwanted intruders.
(c) As a way to re-establish a 'bi-sexual' country.
(d) As a way to learn about the outside world.
13. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The demure girls.
(b) The athletic girls.
(c) The scientifically-minded girls.
(d) The artistic girls.
14. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By trained child nurses.
(b) By their grandmothers.
(c) By the community.
(d) By a wise woman in a temple.
15. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 11?
2. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
3. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
4. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
5. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)