|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To see Alima.
(b) The nearest temple.
(c) To her room to be alone.
(d) To her mother-teacher's house.
2. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
(a) Ellador slaps him.
(b) Ellador turns pale.
(c) Ellador begins to cry.
(d) Ellador faints.
3. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
(a) Leaving Herland.
4. What helps minimize Vandyke's desire for his wife?
(a) His wife's rude behavior.
(b) Concentrating on his research.
(c) His wife's style of dress.
(d) Pursuing his hobbies.
5. Who are children raised by after the age of one or two?
(a) By a wise woman in a temple.
(b) By their grandmothers.
(c) By the community.
(d) By trained child nurses.
6. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
(a) Horrifying ideas.
(b) A supportive God figure.
(c) Elaborate ceremonies.
(d) A central location for religious observation.
7. How do the women punish Terry at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The women publicly humiliate Terry.
(b) The women banish Terry from Herland.
(c) The women lock Terry up in a prison.
(d) The women execute Terry.
8. What are Over Mothers?
(a) Women who supervise the community's children.
(b) Women who educate young women about motherhood.
(c) Women who are over seventy years old.
(d) Women allowed to have more than one child.
9. What is the title of Chapter 11?
(a) Our Relations and Theirs.
(c) Happy Marriages.
(d) Our Difficulties.
10. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
11. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
12. What occupations did the men take on?
(a) School instructors.
(b) Forester assistants.
(c) Mining work.
(d) Assistant inventors.
13. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
14. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees take up less space.
(b) Trees produce food year round.
(c) Trees also provide shelter.
(d) Trees attract birds.
15. How does Jeff regard the girl who is assigned to court him?
(a) Jeff feels burdened by her.
(b) Jeff idealizes her.
(c) Jeff dislikes her.
(d) Jeff is friendly with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
2. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
3. What word does Ellador ask Vandyke to define in Chapter 10?
4. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
5. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)