|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The history of the outside world.
(b) The geography of the outside world.
(c) Health and fitness.
(d) Scientific discoveries.
2. What was the butterfly Ellador caught a danger to?
(a) Silk moths.
(b) Obernut trees.
(c) Sweet flowers.
(d) Pom trees.
3. What are girls in Herland raised to believe?
(a) That the world sits on the back of a giant bee.
(b) That the world is a friendly place.
(c) That the world is a small place.
(d) That the world is a dangerous place.
4. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
5. To the women of Herland, what is life about?
(b) Leaving a legacy.
6. What are the two core concepts which Herland's society is based on?
(a) The critic and the inventor.
(b) The angel and the demon.
(c) The judge and the jury.
(d) The philosopher and the worker.
7. In Chapter 7, what appears to be the crowning achievement of Herland?
(a) The vaccination program.
(b) The town planning.
(c) The food supply.
(d) The power generation system.
8. Which of the girls is assigned to court Vandyck?
9. What do the women dislike about marriage in the outside world?
(a) That men and women don't get to choose who they will marry.
(b) That a religious ceremony is held to unify husbands and wives.
(c) That it is considered bad for children to be born to unwed couples.
(d) That men never take their wives' names.
10. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
11. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The artistic girls.
(b) The scientifically-minded girls.
(c) The athletic girls.
(d) The demure girls.
12. What does Ellador tell Vandyke her religion lacks?
(a) A supportive God figure.
(b) A central location for religious observation.
(c) Elaborate ceremonies.
(d) Horrifying ideas.
13. What does Moadine say the women intend to do with the men?
(a) Sacrifice them to their God.
(b) Keep them imprisoned indefinitely.
(c) Eventually send them back home.
(d) Teach and learn from them.
14. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
15. Where does Ellador go for comfort when she is upset in Chapter 10?
(a) To see Alima.
(b) To her mother-teacher's house.
(c) To her room to be alone.
(d) The nearest temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
2. What are the elder women protecting the men from by keeping them imprisoned?
3. In Chapter 8, how does Vandyke discover the women regard he and his friends?
4. When are the men allowed to leave their confinement?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Terry insist cannot be passed down genetically?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)