|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men have a hard time conveying their ideas about to the women they are courting?
(b) Leaving Herland.
2. How does Vandyke describe the Herland religion?
(a) As enriching.
(b) As mystical.
(c) As pacifying.
(d) As practical.
3. How does Alima feel about Terry after they marry?
4. What is Ellador's job in Herland?
(a) She is a childminder.
(b) She is a forester.
(c) She is a gardener.
(d) She is a teacher.
5. What are the men asked to lecture the young women about?
(a) The history of the outside world.
(b) Health and fitness.
(c) The geography of the outside world.
(d) Scientific discoveries.
6. How do the men feel about their own society as the women question them?
7. Which of the following is NOT said to be lacking in Herland's literature?
(a) Sexual motivation.
8. At the lecture, what kind of girls stay in Terry's discussion group?
(a) Intelligent girls.
(b) Pretty girls.
(c) Unconfident girls.
(d) Argumentative girls.
9. What sense does Vandyke say the men lacked in their marriages?
(a) A sense of possession.
(b) A sense of acceptance.
(c) A sense of belonging.
(d) A sense of independence.
10. At the lecture, what kind of girls is Jeff popular with?
(a) The athletic girls.
(b) The artistic girls.
(c) The demure girls.
(d) The scientifically-minded girls.
11. What fraction of the total American female population is made up of poor women?
12. What do the women agree to in order to please the men in Chapter 10?
(a) Honeymoon trips.
(b) A voyage out of Herland.
(c) A marriage ceremony.
(d) To open a passage through the cliffs.
13. Why are food-bearing trees considered better than field crops?
(a) Trees take up less space.
(b) Trees also provide shelter.
(c) Trees produce food year round.
(d) Trees attract birds.
14. In Herland, what is one of the marks of coming of age for a woman?
(a) Having an additional room added to her suite.
(b) Living for one year at a temple.
(c) Having her first child.
(d) Cutting her hair short.
15. What does Vandyke explain the men and the women have different ideas about in Chapter 11?
(a) What partnership meant.
(b) What loyalty meant.
(c) What trust meant.
(d) What love meant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Terry have about Herland society in Chapter 9?
2. What do the women insist on in their relationships with the men?
3. What do the women of Herland use to educate their children?
4. What happens when Vandyke tells Ellador about infant damnation?
5. Which type of person is Herland said to lack entirely?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)