|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women refer to their society when it still included men?
(a) As co-gendered.
(b) As two-sided.
(c) As bi-sexual.
(d) As man-ruled.
2. Who do the women bring the the men before in Chapter 2?
(a) A judge.
(b) A panel of elders.
(c) A religious leader.
(d) A queen.
3. How did the author of "Herland" die?
(a) In an accident.
(b) From disease.
(c) By suicide.
(d) From old age.
4. Where do the men awake in Chapter 3?
(a) A light, airy room.
(b) In their plane.
(c) In a dark, damp room.
(d) In a holding cell.
5. What does Vandyck believe is the men's best hope for freedom?
(a) Learning the local language.
(b) Escaping at night.
(c) Befriending the women.
(d) Giving the women their valuables.
6. Who was Charles Walter Stetson?
(a) The author's uncle.
(b) The author's colleague.
(c) The author's brother-in-law.
(d) The author's husband.
7. What does Vandyck note about the clothing that they are wearing?
(a) The clothes are very dirty.
(b) The clothes are warm.
(c) The clothes shine in the moonlight.
(d) The clothes have many pockets.
8. Which of the men's personal effects is missing when they awake in Chapter 3?
(a) Their toiletries.
(b) Their clothes.
(c) Their books.
(d) Their money.
9. What does Terry suppose the women of an all-female society would be like?
(a) Sweet and gentle.
(b) Untrusting and timid.
(c) Jealous and competitive.
(d) Hard-working and serious.
10. After the men's attempted escape, what do the women do?
(a) Light up the gardens at night.
(b) Feed the men only once a day.
(c) Put a guard in the room with the men.
(d) Ban the men from playing games.
11. According to the women in Chapter 5, why is work performed?
(a) As a form of competition.
(b) To please God.
(c) To benefit children.
(d) For financial gain.
12. What does one woman show the men a sketch of?
(a) A dead warrior.
(b) The globe.
(c) Their motorboat.
(d) Their plane.
13. Based on the men's comments in Chapter 5, what do women believe is a problem where the men come from?
(b) Premature death.
14. Where did the author live with her second husband for twenty-two years?
(c) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
15. Where do the explorers suppose the men of the society live?
(a) In the jungle.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) Within the villages.
(d) In the valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men see three figures in Chapter 2?
2. What does Jeff NOT note a lack of in the town?
3. What was the author diagnosed with while living in Connecticut?
4. What concept are the women said to be unfamiliar with in Chapter 5?
5. Who names the land, "Herland"?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)