|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the men's personal effects is missing when they awake in Chapter 3?
(a) Their money.
(b) Their books.
(c) Their clothes.
(d) Their toiletries.
2. What does Somel promise to provide the men with?
(a) Individual houses.
(b) A history of her civilization.
(d) New clothing.
3. Where do the men see three figures in Chapter 2?
(a) Following behind them.
(b) In the river.
(c) Walking in a clearing.
(d) In a tree.
4. How do the women refer to their society when it still included men?
(a) As two-sided.
(b) As co-gendered.
(c) As man-ruled.
(d) As bi-sexual.
5. How many women are in the room adjoining where the men woke up?
6. How many women in America does Jeff say are working poor?
(a) Four million.
(b) Eleven million.
(c) Seven or eight million.
(d) Half a million.
7. Whose Utopian novel influenced the author's interest in socialism?
(a) Sir Thomas More's.
(b) Samuel Butler's.
(c) Edward Bellamy's.
(d) Samuel Johnson's.
8. What did the author complete before her death?
(a) A university lecture tour.
(b) Her first novel.
(c) A study of women in the workplace.
(d) Her autobiography.
9. What did Charles Walter Stetson do for a living?
(a) Stetson was an artist.
(b) Stetson was a lawyer.
(c) Stetson was a professor.
(d) Stetson was a writer.
10. Who was Charles Walter Stetson?
(a) The author's brother-in-law.
(b) The author's husband.
(c) The author's colleague.
(d) The author's uncle.
11. After the men's attempted escape, what do the women do?
(a) Put a guard in the room with the men.
(b) Light up the gardens at night.
(c) Feed the men only once a day.
(d) Ban the men from playing games.
12. Where do the women try to force the men to do in Chapter 2?
(a) Return to their plane.
(b) Hand over their belongings.
(c) Eat a strange-looking fruit.
(d) Enter a gray stone building.
13. In Chapter 2, how many miles do the men travel to the village?
(a) Fifteen miles.
(b) Twenty miles
(c) Thirty miles.
(d) Five miles.
14. What genre of fiction does "Herland" belong to?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Utopian fiction.
(d) Literary fiction.
15. Who is the author of "Herland"?
(a) Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
(b) Barbara Pym.
(c) Margaret Atwood.
(d) Ayn Rand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food do the men pick from a tree?
2. What animal does Somel say is present on her society's land?
3. In the past, what reduced the population of the women's society?
4. What does Terry think of the local games?
5. How do the women react to the gifts Terry offers?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)