|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author of "Herland" die?
(a) From disease.
(b) In an accident.
(c) By suicide.
(d) From old age.
2. How many women are in the room adjoining where the men woke up?
3. Why does Terry lament not catching the girl in the tree?
(a) She could have warned the men not to go to town.
(b) She could have convinced the women to let the men go.
(c) Terry thought she was beautiful.
(d) She could have been used as a hostage.
4. What do Alima, Celis and Ellador give the men in Chapter 4?
(c) A matchbook.
(d) A map.
5. How is Terry described?
(a) As arrogant.
(b) As immature.
(c) As sensitive.
(d) As wealthy.
6. What do the men think makes the women look unfeminine?
(a) Their lack of makeup.
(b) Their clothing.
(c) The way they walk.
(d) Their short hair.
7. How many children does the Goddess of Motherhood bear?
8. What movement are the author's works linked to by Ann J. Lane?
(a) The civil rights movement.
(b) The feminist movement.
(c) The abolitionist movement
(d) The environmental movement.
9. Which activity is used by the guards to pass time?
(c) Letter writing.
10. Based on the men's comments in Chapter 5, what do women believe is a problem where the men come from?
(c) Premature death.
11. What is the purpose of the expedition the three men are on?
(a) To chart tributaries of a great river.
(b) To locate the ruins of an ancient civilization.
(c) To photograph exotic bird species.
(d) To map the many islands of a tropical area.
12. What does Terry suppose the women of an all-female society would be like?
(a) Hard-working and serious.
(b) Sweet and gentle.
(c) Untrusting and timid.
(d) Jealous and competitive.
13. What does Vandyck note about the clothing that they are wearing?
(a) The clothes are warm.
(b) The clothes have many pockets.
(c) The clothes are very dirty.
(d) The clothes shine in the moonlight.
14. In Chapter 2, how many miles do the men travel to the village?
(a) Twenty miles
(b) Thirty miles.
(c) Fifteen miles.
(d) Five miles.
15. As far as Terry is concerned, what are the only women worth knowing?
(a) Sweet, docile women.
(b) Educated women.
(c) Powerful women.
(d) Young, pretty women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men not see while flying over the female society's land?
2. How old was the author when she married for the second time?
3. What intrigues Vandyck as he and his party travel upstream in Chapter 1?
4. What does Ellador indicate to the men through hand gesture?
5. What does Terry think of the local games?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)