|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the first Bene Gesserit skills?
2. What was the Tyrant's goal?
3. What kind of probe do the inquisitors use on Teg?
4. What color is the brand on the regional commander's forehead?
5. What keeps the probe from working on Teg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duncan remember as the Honored Matre marks him?
2. Who attacks Teg, Duncan and Lucilla when they leave the no-globe?
3. What does Odrade discover in the basin after solving a puzzle to find an opening?
4. What does Waff tell Taraza about the Honored Matres?
5. How does Taraza die?
6. How do the Bene Gesserit "shape the fulfillment of their designs"?
7. Why does Taraza examine old files on previous gholas?
8. What is Lucilla surprised to see in Gammu?
9. To what does Teg compare his experience with the T-probe?
10. What happens when the inquisitors use the T-provbe on Teg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of using sex for power is prevalent in most of Frank Herbert's Dune series, particularly "Heretics of Dune." Explore the use of sex for power in the story. What groups use sex for power? Why do they utilize sex for power? What people or things are they targeting? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are three major groups with differing religions and beliefs in the story - the Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax and Honored Matres. Compare and contrast the beliefs of these three groups. What are the underlying similarities and differences in beliefs between each group? Do they all derive from the same place? Use specific references from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
"Heretics of Dune" contains several references to the Mentat abilities, particularly those of Miles Teg. What are Mentat abilities? How does Teg use his Mentat abilities in the story? Do his Mentat abilities impact other characters in the story? How? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)