|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ghola called?
2. Who is observing Taraza and Teg on the Guild Transport?
3. According to the Bene Gesserit Coda, what must one always support?
4. What is Taraza's warning word to Teg that they are being watched?
5. Who is Waff?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patrin demonstrate his loyalty to Teg?
2. Why is Teg distracted when he returns from rescuing Taraza's group from the Guildship?
3. Who is Waff?
4. What does Lucilla want from Teg?
5. What is the basic key to Leto II's life?
6. Why does Teg use a life-shield blanket?
7. Who is Leto II?
8. What does Reverend Mother Darwi Odrade believe her flaw is?
9. Why are the Bene Gesserit interested in Sheeana?
10. What similarities does Teg see in Lucilla and Odrade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheeana has a central role in the "Heretics of Dune." What is Sheeana's importance to the story? What is her overall role? How does she become a main character? What does Sheeana represent? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Each ghola the Bene Gesserit has in custody must be awakened to its original memories. The same is true of Duncan Idaho in "Heretics of Dune." Why is it important to awaken these previous memories? What information do they possess? What process does the Bene Gesserit use to awaken the memories? Why are Duncan Idaho's memories important? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Frank Herbert wrote "Heretics of Dune" in the third person, omniscient point of view. What benefits does using this point of view give both the author and the reader? Are there any drawbacks to this choice? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)