|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Belinda been dead when the events in this book occur?
2. Why does Gwen meet Hank for breakfast in Chapter 17?
3. What color has Hank painted Gwen's new room?
4. Why is the heat not working on Fox Hill?
5. What does Gwen do when Hollis tells her that he won't be giving her the papers to Tarot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Richard so popular with his students?
2. What scene does March witness in Chapter 21 that she is frozen by?
3. Why is March hesitating about moving in with Hollis?
4. What is Dr. Henderson's opinion of Belinda's death?
5. What are the signs that people in Jenkintown look at in when trying to predict winter weather?
6. Describe the front of Alan's house as Gwen approaches it for the first time.
7. What does Louise remember about Thanksgiving dinners with Judith Dale?
8. What efforts is March making to earn some money and why?
9. Who has been unsuccessfully trying to reach March at Guardian Farms by phone and why?
10. Why is Hank hesitant about going into the house on Fox Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Ken Helms tells March and Gwen, "Make a tree sound and its fruit will be sound. Make a tree rotten and its fruit will be rotten." Discuss what this means and how it applies to the book.
Essay Topic 2
March begins wearing Judith's emerald ring, a decision that affects Louise. Discuss the similarities in Judith and March and the symbolism of the emerald ring.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the lemon tree in California, both when March talks to Hollis while near it and when Richard talks to March while near it.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)