|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry Murray returns from a trip to New York, what gifts does he bring for the children?
2. Who tells March about Hollis's life before he came to live with them?
3. Who lives in the ramshackle house at the edge of the Marshes?
4. What does Hollis have for dinner in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 1, what is waiting beneath the hedge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has March brought her daughter, Gwen, with her to bury Judith Dale and settle her estate?
2. What does March enjoy doing during the summer of her 14th year?
3. What horses does Hollis own and why?
4. What causes the pain in the side that Louise has in Chapter 11?
5. What decision does Alan make about Hollis after Henry Murray's death?
6. What subject have March and Susie been dancing around, but which they actually discuss in Chapter 10? Why have they been avoiding it? Who else knows about this secret with March and Susie knowing?
7. In Chapter 5, how does March find out about Hollis's return to Jenkintown and what does she do about it.
8. What relationship does March have with Richard, the man who will be her husband, when she is younger.
9. What kind of information does Susie know as a reporter for the local newspaper?
10. What does Harriet want to gossip about with Louise, and how does Louise respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the lemon tree in California, both when March talks to Hollis while near it and when Richard talks to March while near it.
Essay Topic 2
Gwen insists on making her way through the swamp in Chapter 13 not for Hank's benefit, but for her own. Discuss Gwen's reasons for persisting through the marshes to stand on Alan's porch. What is she proving to herself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the possible symbolism of the foxes and the rabbits.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)