|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the bartender to retrieve Hollis when March calls in Chapter 5?
2. What name does Alan refer to himself as?
3. Who is Hollis's adopted nephew?
4. What kind of car does the Judge drive?
5. Who tells March about Hollis's life before he came to live with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is Alan intent on killing himself?
2. In Chapter 5, how does March find out about Hollis's return to Jenkintown and what does she do about it.
3. Describe Bill Justice.
4. What horses does Hollis own and why?
5. Describe the scene of the October farmer's market from Chapter 11.
6. What relationship does March have with Richard, the man who will be her husband, when she is younger.
7. In Chapter 7, Gwen questions why she would want to go back to California. Why does she do this?
8. Why has March brought her daughter, Gwen, with her to bury Judith Dale and settle her estate?
9. When March was growing up, who was everyone's favorite lawyer and why?
10. What causes the pain in the side that Louise has in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, the comment is made that "with Hollis it was all or nothing." Explain this. Is it a true comment? If so, give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gwen's getting ill and having to leave the service before it ends. The author makes it clear that Gwen's reaction isn't normal for her. Discuss Gwen's reaction and the foreshadowing as Chapter 4 ends.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hollis and Hank's relationship and whether it's a beneficial relationship for both.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)