|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What paradoxical statement does White make about New York?
2. How close does White say the people in New York are constantly escaping something?
3. Why does White say New York builds upwards?
4. Which of the following was NOT on the list of nationalities living in New York?
5. What were pulled down in New York since White was a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does White say will happen to someone who does not yet understand New York?
2. What does White compare the feeling the city gives the citizens to?
3. What does White say has changed about policemen since he lived there?
4. What about New York does White say is outlandish?
5. What has changed about the mansions in New York since White lived there?
6. What does White say about the neighborhoods in New York?
7. How does White say one can recognize the visitors to the city who were disappointed in their experience?
8. What has changed about Grand Central Station since White lived in New York?
9. How does White show the amazing variety of people living in New York?
10. Where did White live while he was very poor in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age were two ideas that were addressed in many places of this history. Where do these ideas appear, and how do they work together to enhance this book?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the main pros and cons that White listed about New York, and how did they change his ideas of the city?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the major changes that White talks about in New York?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)