|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Empire State Building erected?
2. Which of the following was NOT on the list of nationalities living in New York?
3. What was White's main mode of transportation when he lived in the city?
4. What made White homeless for some time while living in New York?
5. What does White say the city gives a sense of to all people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White say one can recognize the visitors to the city who were disappointed in their experience?
2. What does White say the city of New York offers its citizens as no other big city does?
3. Where did White live while he was very poor in New York?
4. How has Greenwich Village changed since White lived in New York?
5. What part of the city does White describe in the most detail and why?
6. What does White give numbers for?
7. What does White say a visitor to New York will feel like right at first?
8. How does White show the amazing variety of people living in New York?
9. What has changed about the mansions in New York since White lived there?
10. What does White say someone has to do to find good things in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this story change your view of New York?
Essay Topic 2
How did White say a newcomer to New York would most likely feel, and what kind of experiences would lead them to feel this way? How does he know this?
Essay Topic 3
Why did White decide to write this book, and how might this reasoning have affected his tone?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)