|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White compare the city to?
2. What was White's main mode of transportation when he lived in the city?
3. What does the writer of the introduction say travelers will see that they left at home thanks to television?
4. How did police mostly do their patrols when White was living in New York?
5. How does White say many visitors to New York get lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does White say about the Empire State building?
2. What does White say someone has to do to find good things in New York?
3. What does White give numbers for?
4. What does White say about the neighborhoods in New York?
5. What does the piece say that White quotes about newcomers in New York?
6. What does White say about the subterranean pipes in New York?
7. What kind of things does White say will happen to someone who does not yet understand New York?
8. What does White say would happen if the different communities stopped tolerating each other?
9. What does White compare the city to?
10. How has Greenwich Village changed since White lived in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did White view as the worst change in New York, and why?
Essay Topic 2
White said that in order for people to change something in New York, they simply had to take a few steps. What do you think that means, and how might White have discovered this for himself while living in New York?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the main pros and cons that White listed about New York, and how did they change his ideas of the city?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)