|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
2. What was the last name of the man who wrote the introduction to this book?
3. What does White attribute the ability for a man to change himself in New York to?
4. What is in the hearts of the people who bring passion to New York, according to White?
5. What does White say is an important thing that comes along with one of the gifts New York offers to all men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does White attribute the unique nature of New York to?
2. What does White say the first kind of New York resident brings to the city?
3. What does White say is the third kind of person that lives in the city?
4. What does White say is always innumerable in New York?
5. What is this book about?
6. What kind of things does White say someone can be successful at in New York?
7. What does White say is the second kind of person that lives in the city?
8. What does White say New York offers to people who find privacy there?
9. Why did White first move to New York?
10. Who gives a good description of White?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did White view as the worst change in New York, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this story change your view of New York?
Essay Topic 3
White said that in order for people to change something in New York, they simply had to take a few steps. What do you think that means, and how might White have discovered this for himself while living in New York?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)