|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these cities does White say gives the same sense to all its citizens?
(b) None of the answers is correct.
2. What does White say this book will really be?
(d) An advertisement.
3. Where did White live for a while when he was poor in New York?
(a) Grand Central Terminal.
(b) Central Park.
(c) A bus station.
(d) Broadway theaters.
4. When was the Empire State Building erected?
(a) During the depression.
(b) During WWI.
(c) During the Vietnam War.
(d) During WWII.
5. What does White say about the time when the Empire State Building was built?
(a) It boosted the economy.
(b) It raised men out of their pangs.
(c) It is the world's highest peak built at the lowest point in the depression.
(d) It was a signal of progression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does White say most people move to New York?
2. What did White call the working police officers when he lived in New York?
3. How many people does White say would be killed if an enemy used his suggested weapon on the city?
4. What does White think should have destroyed it years ago?
5. What part of New York did White live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Greenwich Village changed since White lived in New York?
2. Where did White live while he was very poor in New York?
3. What are the two main reactions White says visitors to New York will have?
4. What does White say he knows will skew the numbers he listed?
5. How does White show the amazing variety of people living in New York?
6. How does White say the city could easily be destroyed?
7. What has changed about Grand Central Station since White lived in New York?
8. What does White write about when he reminisces about his past memories in New York?
9. What does White say about the subterranean pipes in New York?
10. How does White say one can recognize the visitors to the city who were disappointed in their experience?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)