|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White compare the city to?
2. Why does White say New York is not as unique anymore?
3. What did White refuse to do to this book before publishing it?
(a) Write it for children.
(b) Publish it at a magazine.
(c) Change the names in it.
(d) Bring it down to date.
4. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the restlessness in New York?
(a) The born and bred.
(b) The ever-present.
(c) The commuters.
(d) The transplants.
5. What does White say people CANNOT change while in New York?
(b) None of these.
(d) Past history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine did White write a lot for?
2. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
3. What has not slowed down in New York since White's death?
4. What has New York lost along with its uniqueness, according to White?
5. What celebrity did White see in New York one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does White say someone can be successful at in New York?
2. What does White say is the second kind of person that lives in the city?
3. Why does the writer of the introduction say White agreed to write this book?
4. What kind of things does White say people who come to New York are looking for?
5. Why did White not want to do a certain something to the book before it was published?
6. What does White say the second kind of New York resident brings to the city?
7. What does White say is being taken away from New York with its uniqueness?
8. What great experience did White have in a New York diner?
9. Who wrote the introduction to this book?
10. What does White say he has done to this book that some people will find inaccurate, and what is his reason for this?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)